Review of 2005 Draft

DBAHO

I figured since it's probably been about 1 year since we first started the thread for the 2005 draft, we could post our thoughts on who our favorite team drafted (or any team for that matter), a grade or score out of 10, and where you think they'll fit in the future plans of your team.

1 4 Benson, Cedric RB 5-10 222 Texas -- C : This should be more of an undecided pick but I changed my inital grade from a B+ when we drafted him down to C. I didnt forsee the holdout or that nasty looking knee injury. He was starting come on, hes a peice to the puzzle next year.

2 39 Bradley, Mark WR 6-1 201 Oklahoma -- B : Angelo cannot be blamed from an injury he could forsee. Bradleys a hardworking kid whos got the physical tools set. Losing him killed us this year.

4 106 Orton, Kyle QB 6-4 226 Purdue -- A : 4th Round QB gets you to the playoffs and can easily be a really solid backup. Could you have asked for more?

5 140 Currie, Airese WR 5-10 186 Clemson -- Undec. : Healthy hes probably the 2nd fastest guy on he team (Urlacher), unhealthy hes worthless.

6 181 Harris, Chris SS 6-1 212 Louisiana-Monroe -- A+ : Without a doubt our most aggresive secondary player this year. He really got after it.

7 220 Wilson, Rodriques SS 6-1 227 South Carolina -- F : Not even on the team anymore.

Overall Grade: B+

It looks like a strong class except for our 7th round and 4th overall pick. If Benson can play like he did at Texas.. it's an A easily.

Steelers draft...

1st. Heath Miller, TE Virginia, grade A, big part of offense, nice blocker, great hands.

2nd. Bryant McFadden, CB FSU, grade C, very athletic, big, but attitude a question, still most likely our starter for a few years.

3rd. Trai Essex, T NW, grade C, gets some p/t and looks good when he's playing.

4th. Fred Gibson, WR UGA, grade D, hasn't earned p/t, even with Steelers need of WR's and big receivers especially.

5th. Rian Wallace, LB Temple, grade C, on depth chart at MLB, provides nice depth.

6th. Chris Kemoeatu, OG Utah, grade C, on depth chart at guard, nice depth.

7th Shaun Nua, DE BYU, grade F, haven't heard a thing about him.

7th Noah Herronn, RB NW, grade C, solid for 7th round, on depth chart at RB.

Overall, I would grade the draft a B-, or C+, provided some nice depth, but later rounds haven't provided as much as in the recent past, atleast not yet.

First, has anyone done as well as the Colts have on their first round picks? Honest question, but these guys drove the vehicle this year....

First-Round Draft Picks -- Indianapolis

Year Player Pos. School

2005 Marlin Jackson CB Michigan

2004 No Pick -- --

2003 Dallas Clark TE Iowa

2002 Dwight Freeney DE Syracuse

2001 Reggie Wayne WR Miami (Fla.)

2000 Rob Morris LB Brigham Young

1999 Edgerrin James RB Miami (Fla.)

1998 Peyton Manning QB Tennessee

1997 Tarik Glenn OT California

1996 Marvin Harrison WR Syracuse

As far as last year.....

1 29(29) Marlin Jackson CB Michigan B- -- started one game, and definitley got his chance

2 28(60) Kelvin Hayden CB Illinois - D+ Marlin Jackson lite

3 29(92) Sweet Pea Burns DE Kentucky n/a hurt most of the year

4 28(129) Dylan Gandy C Texas Tech - B- part of an O-line that played so well early in the year

4 34(135) Matt Giordano S California - C- Rarely played....

5 12(148) Jonathan Welsh OLB Wisconsin n/a inactive

5 29(165) Rob Hunt C N. Dakota St. F - no longer on roster

5 37(173) Tyjuan Hagler OLB Cincinnati n/a inactive

6 28(202) Dave Rayner PK Michigan St. D 2nd kicker on roster, released, then on practice squad

7 29(243) Anthony Davis HB Wisconsin F no longer on roster

05 left a lot to be desired.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
7 220 Wilson, Rodriques SS 6-1 227 South Carolina  -- F : Not even on the team anymore.

he is. he got injured in training camp and ir'd for the season. he played well in camp and could challenge for a roster spot next year.

Green Bay Packers Picks:

Rd-Overall Player Pos School

---------- ------ --- ------

1-24 Aaron Rodgers QB California

2-51 Nick Collins CB Bethune Cookman

2-58 Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M

4-115 Marviel Underwood S San Diego State

4-125 Brady Poppinga DE Brigham Young

5-143 Junius Coston C North Carolina A&T

5-167 Michael Hawkins CB Oklahoma

6-180 Mike Montgomery DE Texas A&M

6-195 Craig Bragg WR UCLA

7-245 Kurt Campbell CB Albany

7-246 Will Whitticker G Michigan State

Seeing how Favre did this year Rodgers was an alright pick even though they really needed defense so ill give a C-.

Nick Collins got some playing time and probably was their best pick because he played the most so I give a B-.

Terrance Murphy didnt really see action so F and he wasnt needed.

Underwood made an occasional appearance at safety so a D.

Whitticker was on the starting o line and if continues to improve will be an anchor for their line, and probably their best pick so I give a B.

Future:

I hope they take AJ Hawk, if he plays up to his abilities him Barnett and Diggs could really help their run stopping defense and they also would have some good depth with Rob Thomas and Navies as backups.

As for other positions I think their best option is to sign a safety and cornerback out of FA because recent players drafted for those positions have failed to play well.

But also draft some offensive linemen.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

Bears draft from me gets no higher then a C.

4. Benson, D. At this point it is unclear whether Benson will be an absolute waste, or a serviceable player. What is apparent is that he was not worth the 4th pick in the 2005 draft and the Bears would of been better off selecting Cadillac Williams, or trading down and drafting a RB in the 2006 draft. With dedication and a attitude change, Benson can move up to the C+ B- range, but I doubt he will ever put up the stats necessary to get an A grade with the 4th pick.

39. Bradley, B- B+. Looking at the draft and at what the Bears were looking for at this point Bradley is a good pick. Limited playing time does not affect his grade as much as Benson because a second round pick is not supposed to make the impact as a top 5 pick, and quite frankly Bradley when playing was worth more to the Bears offense than Benson.

Orton, B. Solid back up player, questionable cieling. Good value for his round, but in the 4th there are generally some solid players who slide. Probably never will be a consistent starting qb, thus not an A.

Currie, incomplete.

Harris, B+ A-, whenever you get a player this late who can start and is actually good you have to give them some love in terms of rating.

Wilson, incomplete.

Over all the Bears draft is killed by the terrible Benson pick. I just can not understand how people who are paid to scout players for a living could not see what they were getting with Benson. He may be a good player, but it is unlikely he he will be the stud that people thought at the 4 pick. And when your getting top 5 pick money, you need to play to a higher level.

Steelers draft...

1st. Heath Miller, TE Virginia, grade A, big part of offense, nice blocker, great hands.

2nd. Bryant McFadden, CB FSU, grade C, very athletic, big, but attitude a question, still most likely our starter for a few years.

3rd. Trai Essex, T NW, grade C, gets some p/t and looks good when he's playing.

4th. Fred Gibson, WR UGA, grade D, hasn't earned p/t, even with Steelers need of WR's and big receivers especially.

5th. Rian Wallace, LB Temple, grade C, on depth chart at MLB, provides nice depth.

6th. Chris Kemoeatu, OG Utah, grade C, on depth chart at guard, nice depth.

7th Shaun Nua, DE BYU, grade F, haven't heard a thing about him.

7th Noah Herronn, RB NW, grade C, solid for 7th round, on depth chart at RB.

Overall, I would grade the draft a B-, or C+, provided some nice depth, but later rounds haven't provided as much as in the recent past, atleast not yet.

they cut Gibson FYI. And Noah Herron is on the Packers now.

A is excellent. Im not going to give that grade out to a player just because he was drafted late and then started.

As for Benson, what can I say, I just do not like the pick. Also when you look at the talent the Bears passed up, you have to severely knock his grade.

Yea, we couldve taken Cadillac but at this point last year that was a toss up. The easy pick last year wouldve been Braylon but the Browns got him.. better drafting Benson than drfating Bust Mike Williams.

I wish D'Brickashaw Ferguson declared lastyear.. that woulda been an easy pick

DeMarcus Ware - A. Was probably our best pass rusher all season, and even though he hit a lull mid - season, showed what he could do against Carolina with 3 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. There's always gonna be questions asking whether we should have taken Shaun Merriman, but I think both teams are happy at this point.

Marcus Spears - B. Didn't really make a lot of plays, and wasn't a starter at the start of the season. But he's a good big clogger in that DE spot, and I expect him to improve.

Kevin Burnett - D. The main disappointment in our draft picks. Was injured early, and just never had a chance to get in the starting LB corps, even when Singleton and Nguyen went down. Still I think he'll be a good one, and will start at MLB alongside Bradie James next season.

Chris Canty - A. Absolute steal in the 4th round. Perfect size for the 3-4, and made some good plays. With Canty, Ware and Spears bookends on this defense for the next 5-10 years, the Boys are well placed there.

Justin Berriault - D+. Had a chronic knee injury in training camp and never played a down this season. But he was impressive in the secondary in camp, but the bad thing is, he's a SS. We need a FS since we have Roy Williams. If Berriault can make the transition, that's 1 less need we have to fill.

Rob Pettiti - C. Worst starting RT in the league. But a rookie like him shouldn't have been thrown into that situation in the first place. You can thank Jacob Rogers for that. Pettiti just seems to lack the footwork to be a starting RT, as speedier DE's just had field days against him.

Jay Ratliff - C+. Fairly good pick in the 7th, another D-Lineman for the 3-4. I expect him to be a good backup for us for quite a few years.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
Yea, we couldve taken Cadillac but at this point last year that was a toss up.  The easy pick last year wouldve been Braylon but the Browns got him.. better drafting Benson than drfating Bust Mike Williams.

I wish D'Brickashaw Ferguson declared lastyear.. that woulda been an easy pick

I didn't like the Benson pick for the reason that the Bears had biggers woes to worry about than running back. I had been saying Thomas Jones could at least hold the spot until 2006, but they should have used last year's draft to improve other spots. I'd have rather seen them draft Mike Williams at the time.

Basically I put my reputation on the line that Cadillac Williams would outplay Benson.

In every post I said that Williams was the ideal player for the Bears if they were going to draft RB. That why would you select a player whose idol is Ricky Williams, when you have a player whose idol is Walter Payton.

Also the Bears should lose major points for last years draft because of Lovie's laziness. Lovie was invited to be one of the coach's at the Senior game, but he turned it down and Gruden went instead. Gruden fell in love with Cadillac, and the rest is history. I can only imagine if Lovie had actually taken the time to go down there and coach the players he would of seen the type of player Cadillac is, and the Bears would not have drafted Benson.

::shrugs::

It really was not a toss up, Benson had many issues that an in depth character search would of uncovered. He was a player that looked like he would hold out, and did.

In the end if you are picking a top 5 player you need to take a player who is playing for the love of the game, and not for the pay check.

Benson is a pay check player. Cadillac is a love of the game player.

Cadillac showed up and signed a contract because he is getting paid to do something he loves, and the difference between $25mil and $22mil in the grand scheme of things is peanuts if you are going to be a top back for your entire career.

Honestly it sickens me as much or more as passing on Leftwich.

DeMarcus Ware - A. Was probably our best pass rusher all season, and even though he hit a lull mid - season, showed what he could do against Carolina with 3 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. There's always gonna be questions asking whether we should have taken Shaun Merriman, but I think both teams are happy at this point.

Marcus Spears - B. Didn't really make a lot of plays, and wasn't a starter at the start of the season. But he's a good big clogger in that DE spot, and I expect him to improve.

Kevin Burnett - D. The main disappointment in our draft picks. Was injured early, and just never had a chance to get in the starting LB corps, even when Singleton and Nguyen went down. Still I think he'll be a good one, and will start at MLB alongside Bradie James next season.

Chris Canty - A. Absolute steal in the 4th round. Perfect size for the 3-4, and made some good plays. With Canty, Ware and Spears bookends on this defense for the next 5-10 years, the Boys are well placed there.

Justin Berriault - D+. Had a chronic knee injury in training camp and never played a down this season. But he was impressive in the secondary in camp, but the bad thing is, he's a SS. We need a FS since we have Roy Williams. If Berriault can make the transition, that's 1 less need we have to fill.

Rob Pettiti - C. Worst starting RT in the league. But a rookie like him shouldn't have been thrown into that situation in the first place. You can thank Jacob Rogers for that. Pettiti just seems to lack the footwork to be a starting RT, as speedier DE's just had field days against him.

Jay Ratliff - C+. Fairly good pick in the 7th, another D-Lineman for the 3-4. I expect him to be a good backup for us for quite a few years.

Marion Barber anyone? I mean he did outperform JJ.

Basically I put my reputation on the line that Cadillac Williams would outplay Benson.

In every post I said that Williams was the ideal player for the Bears if they were going to draft RB. That why would you select a player whose idol is Ricky Williams, when you have a player whose idol is Walter Payton.

Also the Bears should lose major points for last years draft because of Lovie's laziness. Lovie was invited to be one of the coach's at the Senior game, but he turned it down and Gruden went instead. Gruden fell in love with Cadillac, and the rest is history. I can only imagine if Lovie had actually taken the time to go down there and coach the players he would of seen the type of player Cadillac is, and the Bears would not have drafted Benson.

::shrugs::

It really was not a toss up, Benson had many issues that an in depth character search would of uncovered. He was a player that looked like he would hold out, and did.

In the end if you are picking a top 5 player you need to take a player who is playing for the love of the game, and not for the pay check.

Benson is a pay check player. Cadillac is a love of the game player.

Cadillac showed up and signed a contract because he is getting paid to do something he loves, and the difference between $25mil and $22mil in the grand scheme of things is peanuts if you are going to be a top back for your entire career.

Honestly it sickens me as much or more as passing on Leftwich.

They always say the Redzone is where you can gauge a players heart.

Benson is one of the best RZ players I've ever seen. As a collegiate and HS runner the kid took blow after blow and didnt b**** at all. Angelo unfortunatly didnt have a crystal ball to look into to forsee the holdout.

And for all we know, it was a business decision.. the Bears (unadmittingly) were initially trying to lowball the kid. If I've been taking repetitive blows to the head over the past 8 years of my life, I'd be kinda angry at some team like the Bears who think they have to right to lowball me.

Cadillac isnt as beat-the-f***-up as Benson is.. he had Ronnie Brown and Brandon Jacobs take some of the load off of him.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
I think your evaluation was pretty fair Dbaho but id give Spears a C at best.... definitely not a B.

Yeah possibly, but a 3-4 DE isn't going to have a lot of sacks and tackles. But it was a good choice at the spot we were at, when we had to get a big guy for that D-Line.

We almost took him at 11 actually, if Ware was no longer on the board IIRC.

Yeah possibly, but a 3-4 DE isn't going to have a lot of sacks and tackles. But it was a good choice at the spot we were at, when we had to get a big guy for that D-Line.

We almost took him at 11 actually, if Ware was no longer on the board IIRC.

Marcus Spears at 11?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

OW.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
Marion Barber anyone?  I mean he did outperform JJ.

Oh yeah forgot about him pretty stupid of me. I'll give him a A. For a 4th round draft pick, he looked a lot better than the other running backs taken ahead of him. He's got real good power b/w the tackles, and is pretty good in the red zone. Excellent at aspects like pass blocking as well.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Marcus Spears at 11?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

OW.

It was really quite interesting, everyone thought we were going to take Merriman, but if Ware as off the board and Merriman still was, that may not have been the case.

Like I said Spears isn't going to do a lot of things that will get him easily noticed, but he's a very important part of our defense.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 09:34 PM)
They always say the Redzone is where you can gauge a players heart.

Benson is one of the best RZ players I've ever seen.  As a collegiate and HS runner the kid took blow after blow and didnt b**** at all.  Angelo unfortunatly didnt have a crystal ball to look into to forsee the holdout.

Cadillac isnt as beat-the-f***-up as Benson is.. he had Ronnie Brown and Brandon Jacobs take some of the load off of him.

I might go a little off topic here but:

I dont agree, I think nowadays you want the type of player that breaks runs in midfield that can help a team get to the endzone, for example shaun alexander and larry johnson, and when they get down there they use players like Duckett and Bettis to bust it in or the qb sneaks it in or passes it.

Tough to say this can go any direction personally Id rather have a player with speed who can break some big runs, kind of like warrick dunn, or cadillac, nowadays the trend is to have a good backup who can just go in for the one play and score, every player wants to score so its not like you can judge ones heart more than the others.

Benson being beat up in college doesnt mean anything, who backed up larry johnson, no one, and now hes one of the best backs in the league, if I were the star player on the team Id want to be in every play, yes theres gonna be hits and injuries but Im sure the nfl scouts would like to see which players can rebound off of injuries and make some comebacks.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)
I think nowadays you want the type of player that breaks runs in midfield that can help a team get to the endzone, for example shaun alexander..and when they get down there they use players like Duckett and Bettis to bust it in or the qb sneaks it in or passes it.

Please tell me you are not suggesting that Shaun Alexander is not a redzone RB. Please.

I agree that Alexander is the type that can break long runs at midfield, but it's a poor example in this scenario, as Alexander kind of broke the single season touchdown record this year.

Perhaps using Onterrio Smith/Michael Bennett/Mewelde Moore and Moe Williams in Minnesota would be a better choice.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
Please tell me you are not suggesting that Shaun Alexander is not a redzone RB.  Please.

I agree that Alexander is the type that can break long runs at midfield, but it's a poor example in this scenario, as Alexander kind of broke the single season touchdown record this year.

Perhaps using Onterrio Smith/Michael Bennett/Mewelde Moore and Moe Williams in Minnesota would be a better choice.

No he is definitely a redzone rb, he can do almost anything I probably should have been more specific. He just seems to break a lot of big runs same with Larry Johnson.

Pfft Minnesota, they do have some speedsters but their starting rb changes every year because of many injuries. I really liked bennett when he was once starting in front of moe williams, he broke some big ones that Id see in the highlights. Vikings just dont do a good job of utilizing their depth at rb, they would do well with a split backs, all of the speed, and they could have their backs run flats. Just my perspective.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
I might go a little off topic here but:

I dont agree, I think nowadays you want the type of player that breaks runs in midfield that can help a team get to the endzone, for example shaun alexander and larry johnson, and when they get down there they use players like Duckett and Bettis to bust it in or the qb sneaks it in or passes it. 

Tough to say this can go any direction personally Id rather have a player with speed who can break some big runs, kind of like warrick dunn, or cadillac, nowadays the trend is to have a good backup who can just go in for the one play and score, every player wants to score so its not like you can judge ones heart more than the others. 

Benson being beat up in college doesnt mean anything, who backed up larry johnson, no one, and now hes one of the best backs in the league, if I were the star player on the team Id want to be in every play, yes theres gonna be hits and injuries but Im sure the nfl scouts would like to see which players can rebound off of injuries and make some comebacks.

And what did Larry Johnson do his first couple seasons? NOTHING. I can't believe how everyone seems to have written Benson off after just one season. Thomas Jones played great and we were winning. He got into camp late (blame him or blame mgmt, I don't care) and he's gonna have a full off-season and training camp (barring injury) to really adjust to the NFL.

He will be a star in this league and the type of workhorse running back that I love.