2006 Soxtalk Fantasy Baseball

Sox1422

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 04:47 AM)
Yes, there was another, it didn't really bother me so much that Latino Heat was upset. It was more that the other guy felt the need to put his two cents in when it didn't even affect him. Damn I know how to hold a grudge.

That other guy you're talking about is me. I never said you cheated, you just took advantage of the way the league was set up. Most leagues stop free agency at some point int the league, usually right around when the playoffs are starting.

The last match of the league (2 weeks long) was you and another team who were both on fire and it was set to be a good matchup. When you started adding and dropping 5-7 pitchers per day to inflate your stats is when it became bush league. Free agency is part of fantasy baseball but it is best for a league to at the very least have a maximum allowed number of transactions per week to avoid things like this. What it ended up coming down to was whoever logged on first and picked up all of the free agent pitchers who were throwing the next day. I should also add that the Hornswogglers didn't start doing it until you did.

QUOTE(valponick @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
That other guy you're talking about is me.  I never said you cheated, you just took advantage of the way the league was set up.  Most leagues stop free agency at some point int the league, usually right around when the playoffs are starting. 

The last match of the league (2 weeks long) was you and another team who were both on fire and it was set to be a good matchup.  When you started adding and dropping 5-7 pitchers per day to inflate your stats is when it became bush league.  Free agency is part of fantasy baseball but it is best for a league to at the very least have a maximum allowed number of transactions per week to avoid things like this.  What it ended up coming down to was whoever logged on first and picked up all of the free agent pitchers who were throwing the next day.  I should also add that the Hornswogglers didn't start doing it until you did.

Well next time log on to your computer faster because honestly, there's a bunch of people who do that on Yahoo and I've been on the "bad" side of that. Plus all the rules are set once the league is set. You really can't complain about something you didn't think of and someone else did. I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but I'm just saying the facts.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
Well next time log on to your computer faster because honestly, there's a bunch of people who do that on Yahoo and I've been on the "bad" side of that. Plus all the rules are set once the league is set. You really can't complain about something you didn't think of and someone else did. I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but I'm just saying the facts.

Ha, you said exactly what I was gonna say. Everything I did was perfectly within the confines of the rules.

Just to add, "Bush League" is the most overused phrase in all of sports it has no meaning anymore.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)

I guess in this case it was more of an etiquette issue, it was definitely a "noob" type of move and I had not seen it before it any league I had EVER been in. If that is how people here play, then I it is definitely good to know so I can adapt. No worries with your comment, honesty is always appreciated.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 04:09 AM)
Ha, you said exactly what I was gonna say. Everything I did was perfectly within the confines of the rules.

Just to add, "Bush League" is the most overused phrase in all of sports it has no meaning anymore.

Understandable, nothing against you at all, the only reason I made the post was because I wanted to be in a league with more experienced FFBB'ers. Take care.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
Here are the dudes from league 3:

Whitesoxfan56789

Flash Tizzle

KipWellsFan

Ishmookie

Soxfanforever

Soxfan1

El Caballo 45

mmmmmbeeer

hammerhead johnson

Jackie hayes

Winning Ugly

and.......

Dougly!!!

I don't think that we'll be seeing Doug again this year.  Call it a hunch.  Does Ishmookie even post here anymore?  We'll probably need two new guys this season.  Invite Sleepy.  No, seriously.  :D

Being one of the dudes that you speak of, I'll continue to play. This is year #3 for Soxtalk Fantasy Baseball right? I bet we get 10 leagues this year.

QUOTE(valponick @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 04:10 AM)
I guess in this case it was more of an etiquette issue, it was definitely a "noob" type of move and I had not seen it before it any league I had EVER been in.  If that is how people here play, then I it is definitely good to know so I can adapt.  No worries with your comment, honesty is always appreciated.

I've been playing fantasy baseball for the past 5 years in about 4 leagues per year so I'm definately not a noob. The league allowed that sort of thing so I did it, it may have come off as a sophomoric type stunt but I have had it done to me in the past in a few different leagues that didn't have strict rules. It doesn't really matter though, it's in the past now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
I've been playing fantasy baseball for the past 5 years in about 4 leagues per year so I'm definately not a noob. The league allowed that sort of thing so I did it, it may have come off as a sophomoric type stunt but I have had it done to me in the past in a few different leagues that didn't have strict rules. It doesn't really matter though, it's in the past now.

Although, I think just for that reason, leagues should be setup so that there is a waiver wire deadline. That is pretty cheap to pick up as many pitchers as you can who start the next day, when the team that you drafted to get you that point, is not carrying you in the postseason, at least pitching wise. I think this is why I like having a max on inning's used, instead of the minimum. Or maybe having both, so it avoids both conflicts.

:gosox3: Laegue #8 is up. Last year, I believe DBHAO won it. I emailed some of you who were in last year. We had 2 managers for Soxtalk quit by midseason. This year, I want all managers very active. Draft day is Saturday March 18, 9:30am Central. This is a roto league.

If you are interested and can definitelt commit to participating, email me and I'll send you the password!

Walleye :bang

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
When do you guys think you will know when all the leagues are sorted out? Just curious.

At least Friday. We still need a lot of people to fill up the various leagues, plus I still need to contact people who participated in the various leagues last year to see if they want their spot again (which I will probably do sometime Wed., maybe Thur.). Even that seems a little soon since games don't start until April, but I do want to get things moving.

Edit- On further analysis, I'll start trying to finalize league rosters on Friday and send out info to the commishioners on Monday (I still need a few by the way if anyone is willing to do it). That seems to make sense to me, although I could be the only one :P.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
At least Friday. We still need a lot of people to fill up the various leagues, plus I still need to contact people who participated in the various leagues last year to see if they want their spot again (which I will probably do sometime Wed., maybe Thur.). Even that seems a little soon since games don't start until April, but I do want to get things moving.

Edit- On further analysis, I'll start trying to finalize league rosters on Friday and send out info to the commishioners on Monday (I still need a few by the way if anyone is willing to do it). That seems to make sense to me, although I could be the only one :P.

Ok, thanks Zoom.