Aw Snap...

jasonxctf

i love it. :P

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

KING FUNERAL TURNS POLITICAL: BUSH BASHED BY FORMER PRESIDENT, REVEREND

Tue Feb 07 2006 15:49:48 ET

Today's memorial service for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King -- billed as a "celebration" of her life -- turned suddenly political as one former president took a swipe at the current president, who was also lashed by an outspoken black pastor!

The outspoken Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, ripped into President Bush during his short speech, ostensibly about the wife of Martin Luther King Jr.

"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

The mostly black crowd applauded, then rose to its feet and cheered in a two-minute-long standing ovation.

A closed-circuit television in the mega-church outside Atlanta showed the president smiling uncomfortably.

"But Coretta knew, and we know," Lowery continued, "That there are weapons of misdirection right down here," he said, nodding his head toward the row of presidents past and present. "For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" The crowd again cheered wildly.

Former President Jimmy Carter later swung at Bush as well, not once but twice. As he talked about the Kings, he said: "It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps." The crowd cheered as Bush, under fire for a secret wiretapping program he ordered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, again smiled weakly.

Later, Carter said Hurricane Katrina showed that all are not yet equal in America. Some black leaders have blamed Bush for the poor federal response, and rapper Kayne West said that Bush "hates" black people.

Developing...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
i love it.  :P

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

KING FUNERAL TURNS POLITICAL: BUSH BASHED BY FORMER PRESIDENT, REVEREND

Tue Feb 07 2006 15:49:48 ET

Today's memorial service for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King -- billed as a "celebration" of her life -- turned suddenly political as one former president took a swipe at the current president, who was also lashed by an outspoken black pastor!

The outspoken Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, ripped into President Bush during his short speech, ostensibly about the wife of Martin Luther King Jr.

"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

The mostly black crowd applauded, then rose to its feet and cheered in a two-minute-long standing ovation.

A closed-circuit television in the mega-church outside Atlanta showed the president smiling uncomfortably.

"But Coretta knew, and we know," Lowery continued, "That there are weapons of misdirection right down here," he said, nodding his head toward the row of presidents past and present. "For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" The crowd again cheered wildly.

Former President Jimmy Carter later swung at Bush as well, not once but twice. As he talked about the Kings, he said: "It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps." The crowd cheered as Bush, under fire for a secret wiretapping program he ordered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, again smiled weakly.

Later, Carter said Hurricane Katrina showed that all are not yet equal in America. Some black leaders have blamed Bush for the poor federal response, and rapper Kayne West said that Bush "hates" black people.

Developing...

f***ing shame on ALL of them. And you wonder why these assholes lose elections? See this as an example. The HATE is insane.

I'm sure MLK, Jr. really would have wanted his wife's funeral to be remembered as a George Bush celebrity 'roasting'. What a disgrace to the King family. The foundations of this country are as weak as they have ever been, and both democrats and republicans have truly been flat out embarrasing. These are the 'leaders' of our beloved country. I'm ashamed. :headshake

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
She did speak out against the Iraq war.  And Carter's comments seem pretty mild.

But motioning towards the Prez is too much, I'll agree there.

i agree. if she made her life work championing these issues, those in attendance shouldn't dictate remembering and discussing these things she stood for. It also seemed that the reverand took all of the presidents to town.. not just GWB.

This is simply political posturing at the worst opportunity. These politicians figure everyone is watching, so why not take the opportunity to criticize Bush?

Unless she dedicated her life to opposing Iraq--as she once did the Civil Rights movement--then it doesn't warrant mentioning. Not even one word. Wait until you're on a cable news channel to begin such debate.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar.

lol

but those same bombs were just fine when Clinton was dropping them in Europe for no reason (well, besides drawing attention away from his own scandals).

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
This is simply political posturing at the worst opportunity. These politicians figure everyone is watching, so why not take the opportunity to criticize Bush?

Unless she dedicated her life to opposing Iraq--as she once did the Civil Rights movement--then it doesn't warrant mentioning. Not even one word. Wait until you're on a cable news channel to begin such debate.

Even if she did dedicate her life to opposing it... her funeral is not the place to talk s***. JMO.. of course.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)

Politicians? Lowery is 85 or so. He's not running for office anytime soon, which means any time at all. Carter used to be a politician, but what the hell would he have to "posture" for now?

She took a strong stand against the Iraq war. I don't think it should be ignored just because she wasn't concerned with that alone.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Politicians?  Lowery is 85 or so.  He's not running for office anytime soon, which means any time at all.  Carter used to be a politician, but what the hell would he have to "posture" for now?

She took a strong stand against the Iraq war.  I don't think it should be ignored just because she wasn't concerned with that alone.

He also noted that Clinton handed over the podium to his wife, Hillary, hinting at her possible pursuit of the presidency, in comments that prompted a roar of laughter and applause from the audience

What is this supposed to be?

Political posturing doesn't have to be done just for one person. The whole thing is clearly a chance for the Dems to take shots at the White House.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Politicians?  Lowery is 85 or so.  He's not running for office anytime soon, which means any time at all.  Carter used to be a politician, but what the hell would he have to "posture" for now?

She took a strong stand against the Iraq war.  I don't think it should be ignored just because she wasn't concerned with that alone.

Does it matter whether either are running for office or currently retired? Both embraced the opportunity to stick it to Bush.

Don't ignore it entirely. Just not at her funeral service. Was there any other causes Loretta embraced--or actions partaken by the government which she denounced since the 1970's? I wonder how King felt about Vietnam. Similar circumstances, right? I haven't read anything about her opposition to that war, yet.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)

This was absolute political hackery and a mockery of anything that is right. Republican or Democrat, I feel the same way.

QUOTE(G&T @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)

Political posturing doesn't have to be done just for one person. The whole thing is clearly a chance for the Dems to take shots at the White House.

Leave it up to a bunch of leftist goons like these to use the memorial service of a great American like Correta Scott King to ambush the President. If I were Bush I would have blown them all off and had Bush Sr. blow em off too.

f*** these people.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
Leave it up to a bunch of leftist goons like these to use the memorial service of a great American like Correta Scott King to ambush the President.  If I were Bush I would have blown them all off and had Bush Sr. blow em off too.

f*** these prople.

Agreed.

QUOTE(G&T @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)

That's just nonsense. Joking about Hillary running is a shot at Republicans? How?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
Does it matter whether either are running for office or currently retired? Both embraced the opportunity to stick it to Bush.

Don't ignore it entirely. Just not at her funeral service. Was there any other causes Rosa Parks embraced--or actions partaken by the government which she denounced since the 1950's?  I wonder how Parks felt about Vietnam. Similar circumstances, right? I haven't read anything about her opposition to that war, yet.

Yeah, it matters, unless "political posturing" = "saying anything remotely political". These guys have nothing to gain in the way of politics; they aren't running for anything, they aren't politicians.

This was a service about her. Why should something important to her be taboo? (Something she felt strongly enough about to publicly comment on -- we're not relying on some hearsay about this.)

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Yeah, it matters, unless "political posturing" = "saying anything remotely political".  These guys have nothing to gain in the way of politics; they aren't running for anything, they aren't politicians.

This was a service about her.  Why should something important to her be taboo?  (Something she felt strongly enough about to publicly comment on -- we're not relying on some hearsay about this.)

It doesn't matter if they're not politicians. They are making a political statement out of a funeral. I didn't hear any Democrat-bashing at Reagan's Funeral.