Good news for Gload fans

SSH2005

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
I cant even express how much I agree with this post.

Which part Rock? Gload is horrible in the outfield and the sox really don't need to carry 3 first baseman. Quite frankly I do not understand why people are enamored with this guy. He is not needed on this team. I really don't understand Ozzie saying that he is on the team right now. Completely senseless. What message is that sending to the others? I personally think with a good spring Ben grieve makes this team. I am not a fan of Grieve but in my opinion he is the same guy as gload but better in the outfield. ( I know he bats right handed) He was brought in for a reason, and it was not to push Borchard, who will be gone by the end of spring training. If Grieve has a lousy spring than maybe Gload stays but its just not a match.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 04:35 AM)
Which part Rock? Gload is horrible in the outfield and the sox really don't need to carry 3 first baseman. Quite frankly I do not understand why people are enamored with this guy. He is not needed on this team. I really don't understand Ozzie saying that he is on the team right now. Completely senseless. What message is that sending to the others? I personally think with a good spring Ben grieve makes this team. I am not a fan of Grieve but in my opinion he is the same guy as gload but better in the outfield. ( I know he bats right handed) He was brought in for a reason, and it was not to push Borchard, who will be gone by the end of spring training. If Grieve has a lousy spring than maybe Gload stays but its just not a match.

Grieve is better in the outfield? HE'S SLOWER THAN PAUL KONERKO! Ben Grieve is not a good player, and Borchard would fit this team's needs much better.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 04:42 AM)
Grieve is better in the outfield?  HE'S SLOWER THAN PAUL KONERKO!  Ben Grieve is not a good player, and Borchard would fit this team's needs much better.

Grieve can hit a little bit...

And, quick, Grieve's a lefty, I believe. Throws righty, hits left.

Grieve is better in the outfield?  HE'S SLOWER THAN PAUL KONERKO!  Ben Grieve is not a good player, and Borchard would fit this team's needs much better.

Grieve is a decent hitter. He knows how to draw a walk. But I'd only want to ever see him in LF just like Gload. His lack of defense makes him a poor bench player.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 05:25 AM)
Grieve can hit a little bit...

And, quick, Grieve's a lefty, I believe.  Throws righty, hits left.

Grieve's bat speed is very slow now, and the only positive he brings is that he can draw a lot of walks (cause he never swings).

Grieve's bat speed is very slow now, and the only positive he brings is that he can draw a lot of walks (cause he never swings).

Heh, everytime someone mentions Grieve's bat speed I think of Canseco's book. Canseco said that Grieve had such a good swing that he could have been a truly great power hitter if he had taken roids. His bat speed was too slow though.

The way I see this, I just don't see where Gload is a fit with particular team. Gload's a good stick, no doubt. But with Konerko, Thome and Mackowiak, we don't need another 1B. Gload's OF play leaves a lot to be desired, like never seeing him out there again. I'm not basing that on one error against the Cubs, but from watching play flyballs in general back in '04. Due to his arm injury last year, he didn't get any OF time in Charlotte, so logic states he'd have to be just as bad, if not worse, now.

I'm not in love with Borchard, but he is a better fit for this team right now. He can play a decent OF at any of the 3 positions and he would still be a threat off the bench to jack one out of the park, which any opposing manager would have to take into consideration when deciding on pitching changes.

Of course, all of the above can change depending on what happens in ST. Grieve may surprise and come out at the top of the pack, but I doubt it.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(quickman @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)

Gload and Grieve are both terrible in the OF. I think Borchards defense is what will land him on the roster. The Sox brass have been looking for a way to get rid of Gload, now that he is out of options he is on his way out.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Gload ready for challenge

Versatile utility cog at camp locked in fight for spot again

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Remember in the movie "Groundhog Day," when every morning was painfully the same for Bill Murray's weatherman character, regardless of what happened the night before? White Sox utility player Ross Gload has been living the baseball version of that popular film for close to the past decade.

Aside from Spring Training, 2005, when Gload had locked up a roster spot with a strong finish to 2004, by his estimation the left-handed jack-of-all-trades has been fighting for a Major League opportunity the past eight years. That scenario hasn't changed this season, with Gload, Joe Borchard, Jerry Owens and possibly Ben Grieve battling for one or maybe two openings with the defending World Series champions.

But the challenge is not something that seems to affect Gload or alter his demeanor. He's been through it too many times before.

"That's the position I want to be in," said Gload, who like Borchard, is out of Minor League options. "I haven't been given a job and I've had to battle for it, but that's the fun part of the game.

"I mean, it would be nice to have a five-year, $60 million contract, and take the six weeks to get ready for April. But I've always done it this way. I earned it last year, but I got hurt last year. So, I'm right back where I started."

Gload missed all but 19 games in 2005 with left-shoulder inflammation, after hitting .321 with the White Sox over 234 at-bats in 2004. At the original time of the injury, there was talk Gload wouldn't lose his job because of the setback. With the trade deadline acquisition of Geoff Blum, though, Gload was left to wonder about his future with the White Sox after he clearly was not part of their plans down the stretch.

That question was answered when Gload was tendered a contract and brought back for 2006. If Gload shows the ability to play the outfield once again, he might rate a slight edge over the other candidates. Manager Ozzie Guillen has said that his fifth outfielder also will be a prime pinch-hitting candidate, a strong suit Gload has shown in the past.

There's also his Gold Glove-caliber glove at first base, with the ability to spell Paul Konerko, to be considered. Guillen, at this stage, is not tipping his hand in regard to a possible favorite.

"We have a lot of games to go and not that many players in camp," Guillen said. "Everybody will get a legit chance."

Despite the injury troubles, Gload pointed out that he did post a .364 average and 15 home runs for Triple-A Charlotte in 2005. Gload always has proven he can hit in the Minors.

Now, he's focused on changing the ending of his script and doing the same with the White Sox. After all, things worked out for Murray in the end of his movie.

"I don't want to get labeled that Four-A player, but I've done it [in the Minors] for years now, and I've done it here for short stints too," Gload said. "But I'm in a spot where they thought enough of me to bring me back and fight for a position on this team, and that's all I can ask.

"There are probably 22 or 23 guys with a job on this team. The rest of us are battling for the final three spots."

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
If GLoad sticks, it must mean Crede's back is pretty healthy. Then Mackowiak would get most of his ab's from the OF and 2b.

That and Ozzie probably doesn't want Thome playing much 1b. Why put Thome out there when his bat is so, so valuable at the DH?

That's exactly how I feel. I really think unless Joe has an outstanding spring, Gload will be on the team. And when I say oustanding, I don't mean Joe has to hit .500. He just has to be consistent, show some patience at the plate and not strikeout 3 out of every 4 at bats.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
I'm not making the connection between Crede's status and Gload making the team.

I was. A healthy Joe means Mackowiak won't be playing much 3b if at all. Crede is at the age where he could play all 162 games and not miss a beat. Rob will play all 3 OF spots [as the 4th OFer] and 2b to give Tad time off. So instead of having another bench guy who plays the OF, the sox could afford to carry a guy like Gload.

Gload won't play much OF. But he'll get AB's at 1b [as both Thome and PK will get days off, PK--going to Dh on days Thome is off], play late innings at 1b, and pinch hit. I see Thome being strictly a DH so he doesn't get hurt playing the field.

Borchard is the better OFer by far [Gload can only play an average LF]. But Gload has shown the ability to hit and produce in a part time role. Joe B could only give the sox average defense as the 5th OFer, and would probably hit around .200 off the bench.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
Well,  for me,  I don't want Thome playing first base.  Anything that can increase his chances of playing a full season is good.  He should strictly be a DH.  So Gload could be the back-up first baseman.  Let Mack handle all the other positions.

I completely agree. Thome needs to be healthy for the sox to repeat. Having him play 1b increases his chances of getting hurt. Gload could play 1b, being the primary backup to PK. Mack would be the 4th OFer.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/251sd1.htm

Opening shot

Outfielder Joe Borchard, fighting for a reserve spot, made an early statement Friday. Borchard hit an opposite-field home run off 2005 first-round draft pick Lance Broadway during batting practice.

"Yeah, if I can keep hitting a few of those I'll be OK,'' Borchard said.

The blast didn't go unnoticed by Sox coaches.

Borchard may be the victim of a numbers game. If the Sox take 12 pitchers when camp breaks, there will be just one spot available for a reserve outfielder. Borchard and Ross Gload, who also can play first base, are among the top candidates fighting for that spot.

"I don't know how many pitchers I will take, but I talked to Borchard and Ross,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. "Everyone has a legit shot to make this team.''

For Gload, the key will be showing that his left shoulder, which he injured last year, has healed enough to allow him to make throws from the outfield.

"We have a lot of games to go and not that many players in camp,'' Guillen said. "Everybody will get a legit chance. The guy who can pinch hit and play once in a while, he will take the job.''

-------------------------

IMO, if Ross is healthy enough to make throws from LF, it's his job to lose, esp if both play the same this spring.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
I like Gload because he can play 1B and some LF.  Mackowiak and even Ozuna can play the outfield too.  But I don't ever want to see Gload in RF again.  :ph34r:

Ozzie says a lot of things during ST. He is quoted as saying right now Gload is on the team, but he also said he wants more versatility in the OF. Borchard can play all 3 OF positions, pinch hit, run and DH. Gload can play 1B and DH and PH. Six of one and half a dozen of the other. I think it would be great to see both Gload and Borchard on the roster come the end of ST. However, if it's only one I would give the nod to Borchard right now.