Kenny Fires Back At Frank

aboz56

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
Wow this is really out of hand. In May when Frank comes back to Chicago, we will all be remembering the 2 MVPs and what should have been #3 if not for roids and Giambi. We will be remembering his 1st inning home runs. We will be remembering his complete domination of the sport in the early 1990s.

I hope so but I doubt this thing dies quietly.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I don't quite understand why people are surprised to see things unfold like this. Frank Thomas has always been this way...from day one. Now, I know Steff tells me otherwise, and, I really do tend to believe her, but, Frank has seemingly gone out of his way to alienate himself from the White Sox fan base from the get-go. Now, I can't quite pinpoint the when and where, but, for awhile there, it finally seemed to turn around. Around the 2000 season, Frank seemed to have finally endeared himself to this fan base. I don't know if that has anything to do with the Sox front-office letting off Frank about his adopting a "leadership" role, but, Frank finally seemed to come around. It really is disappointing to see things unfold like this here at the end, but, I'm genuinely not surprised.

He has been an egotistical prick since his major-league call-up. The Frank Lovefest that happened here again around 2004 would have to be the exception throughout the course of his career.

Also, the bad relationship between Frank and Kenny has been known for quite some time; these two have never seen eye-to-eye, and, I'm sure Frank could have had his wish to be traded come to fruition if Kenny could have found the right package. As far as I know, the Thome move was not the first in an attempt to finally rid this team, this clubhouse, of Frank Thomas.

Disappointing? Yes. Shocking? No.

Frank and his time with the Sox is now full-circle. He came into this organization alienating himself from the fan base, from his teammates, from the Sox brass--the noted exception would have to be, of course, Jerry--and that is how he is going to leave it. Believe it or not, Frank, you STILL are not above the team-concept in baseball. It looked like you understood that for awhile there, but, your true colors have shown themselves once again.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
He slammed the team?  Care to be specific?

I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not a Frank fan, especially for the way he's handled himself as a teammate and a member of the team.

All that said he's a decent person, but not a good teammate and part of me is glad the truth is finally coming out cause so many people pretty much thought he could do no wrong.

I also think he's going to prove why we got rid of him in the first place. Ie, the fact that he hasn't been healthy in years.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not a Frank fan, especially for the way he's handled himself as a teammate and a member of the team. 

All that said he's a decent person, but not a good teammate and part of me is glad the truth is finally coming out cause so many people pretty much thought he could do no wrong. 

I also think he's going to prove why we got rid of him in the first place.  Ie, the fact that he hasn't been healthy in years.

I get all that. But you used the word "slammed". I don't agree with that at all.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
To be honest, I don't quite understand why people are surprised to see things unfold like this.  Frank Thomas has always been this way...from day one.  Now, I know Steff tells me otherwise, and, I really do tend to believe her, but, Frank has seemingly gone out of his way to alienate himself from the White Sox fan base from the get-go.  Now, I can't quite pinpoint the when and where, but, for awhile there, it finally seemed to turn around.  Around the 2000 season, Frank seemed to have finally endeared himself to this fan base.  I don't know if that has anything to do with the Sox front-office letting off Frank about his adopting a "leadership" role, but, Frank finally seemed to come around.  It really is disappointing to see things unfold like this here at the end, but, I'm genuinely not surprised.

He has been an egotistical prick since his major-league call-up.  The Frank Lovefest that happened here again around 2004 would have to be the exception throughout the course of his career. 

Also, the bad relationship between Frank and Kenny has been known for quite some time; these two have never seen eye-to-eye, and, I'm sure Frank could have had his wish to be traded come to fruition if Kenny could have found the right package.  As far as I know, the Thome move was not the first in an attempt to finally rid this team, this clubhouse, of Frank Thomas.

Disappointing?  Yes.  Shocking?  No.

Frank and his time with the Sox is now full-circle.  He came into this organization alienating himself from the fan base, from his teammates, from the Sox brass--the noted exception would have to be, of course, Jerry--and that is how he is going to leave it.  Believe it or not, Frank, you STILL are not above the team-concept in baseball.  It looked like you understood that for awhile there, but, your true colors have shown themselves once again.

Its no secret the only reason Frank was here during Kenny's time was because of JR. Kenny has long wanted Frank gone and he's not the only one in the org that has felt that way.

That said Kenny seems to treat his fans well and I know I'll root for him in that A's uniform despite the fact that he's royall ticked me off over the recent years by his selfishness and me attitude.

I'm convinced he's playing only for the record books at this stage and because of it his average has suffered.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
I think at this stage of his career all that stuff was a direct slam at everything JR did to help him.  Just my 2 cents.

I don't get what the problem is. All Frank has said is that he thinks somebody should've told him directly that he was no longer in the team's future plans. Should Frank shut up about it and let it go? No doubt. But I don't see how Frank is disrespetcing Jerry, Kenny and the rest of the organzation. And Kenny has definitely lost some respect from me for saying, whether it's true or not, that Jerry loaned Frank money. That was stupid and totally uncalled for.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
I don't get what the problem is.  All Frank has said is that he thinks somebody should've told him directly that he was no longer in the team's future plans.  Should Frank shut up about it and let it go?  No doubt.  But I don't see how Frank is disrespetcing Jerry,  Kenny and the rest of the organzation.  And Kenny has definitely lost some respect from me for saying,  whether it's true or not,  that Jerry loaned Frank money.  That was stupid and totally uncalled for.

Both men come off losers in this situation. Someone needed to step up and be the bigger man and it just didn't happen. If I had to guess, maybe Kenny is referring to Reinsdorf helping Frank out about the time his dad or agent died...or was it both? I know Reinsdorf set him up with current agent Art Tellum.

But, as you've said, both guys come off losers when things like this gets taken to the press.

It's just really disappointing from the Frank Thomas standpoint.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
Both men come off losers in this situation.  Someone needed to step up and be the bigger man and it just didn't happen.  If I had to guess, maybe Kenny is referring to Reinsdorf helping Frank out about the time his dad or agent died...or was it both?  I know Reinsdorf set him up with current agent Art Tellum.

But, as you've said, both guys come off losers when things like this gets taken to the press.

It's just really disappointing from the Frank Thomas standpoint.

I am in no way excusing Frank. He's at fault. But Kenny is no better.

I think some are mistaken by thinking this blowup by KW is just from Frank's recent comments. As far as I can tell, this is an overall backlash at the kind of guy Frank has been since KW has been in charge. I think the recent interview, while not exactly a thrashing of the Sox organization, was just the straw that broke the camels back.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
I think some are mistaken by thinking this blowup by KW is just from Frank's recent comments.  As far as I can tell, this is an overall backlash at the kind of guy Frank has been since KW has been in charge.  I think the recent interview, while not exactly a thrashing of the Sox organization, was just the straw that broke the camels back.

...now we're getting somewhere.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
According to Kenny.

I know Frank had some business failures and got divorced, but borrowing loot from your boss is desperate, not to mention awkward. Especially when you consider that Frank hasn't always been happy with his contract. "No, Frank we won't renegotiate that contract, but I'll lend you a few bucks."

Having to ask JR for cash is actually kinda sad....if true of course.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
I think at this stage of his career all that stuff was a direct slam at everything JR did to help him.  Just my 2 cents.

Then why does he mention that the two had such a good relationship?

Also, if any of that's true, let's have Jerry say it. I just don't believe that Reinsdorf is sending Kenny out to fight his fights. And if he's not, KW's a coward to hide behind that excuse.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
I think some are mistaken by thinking this blowup by KW is just from Frank's recent comments.  As far as I can tell, this is an overall backlash at the kind of guy Frank has been since KW has been in charge.  I think the recent interview, while not exactly a thrashing of the Sox organization, was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Bingo.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
Ya, kevhead is dead on, imo.

But, by the same token, let's not make Kenny out to be a saint. He, too, has his share of skeletons.

What we have here assembled in 2006 appears to be a completely selfless ball club. I don't quite think this happened by accident. Those that weren't on board with the way this organization was heading are no longer present...not even if you have 450 homeruns.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
I've ended 4 of the past 7 seasons early due to injuries, including the past 2 due to injuries in the same part of my body.  I was on the 40-man roster of a World Series winning team.  I can also see the White Sox biggest weakness if a very good lefty bat - while Carl Everett is solid at the plate, he should really not be starting anymore.  Jim Thome's nearing the end too, but he's got huge power and has shown it in his career with 4 seasons of 40 homers or more in a row, including one season with 52 homers.  I also see how there is pretty much no chance in hell I'm going to come back, or that if I do, it will be as a lefty killer off the bench.

Perhaps he could have tried answering the phone when KW called, or returning the phone calls if I miss them? 

You aren't the only Frank Thomas fan left.  He'll be my favorite ever, and I'm almost positive nothing will change that ever.  It doesn't mean he's not out of line with what he's saying.  He's completely out of line with what he's saying.  If anyone should have taken the high road, it's Frank.  No one forced him to do the interview.

Put yourself in KW's shoes.  Hell, put yourself in your shoes. (take note WSJ, ahead of time, I do not intend to offend you) You made a choice - one that involves saying Kyle Orton should start at QB for the Bears.  You probably regret making it, but nothing can be done to change what you said.  People take shots at you due to your comments.  You can take the high road for a while and ignore it, but eventually, after so much of it, isn't it hard to stay on the high road?

lol. I don't regret making that choice. I still feel he should of started. With that being said Nobody does anything when people attack me yet I am the first one suspended if I respond. Now back to Frank and Kenny. I think Frank probably should of not said anything and he when he reads his comments in the paper he will probably admit to that. however Kenny is not right either and he went way overboard. You don't call him an idiot period. I have no problem with Kenny saying We are a better team without you here. But he attacked Frank and he owes him an apology as does Frank to Kenny. However Frank never attacked Reinsdorf.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Kenny did more to win us a World Series than Frank ever did.  Frank's whiny attitude and b****ing won't be missed.  I won't shed a tear if he doesn't hit another homer in his career.

Haha I'm not sure if that's supposed to be cold hearted or what. I don't think I've ever cried during a Frank HR, and I don't see myself crying if he doesn't hit another either. And you know I can be a Frank apolgist at times.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
But, by the same token, let's not make Kenny out to be a saint.  He, too, has his share of skeletons.

What we have here assembled in 2006 appears to be a completely selfless ball club.  I don't quite think this happened by accident.  Those that weren't on board with the way this organization was heading are no longer present...not even if you have 450 homeruns.

For the record, I've been in the "Kenny shouldn't have said anything" camp all along. But I'm also in the "Kenny appears to have good reason to be pissed" camp as well.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
I'm sorry but the comments in that article were idiotic.  Your prime is between 37-40?  Why not take it further and say that el duque is in his prime.  GMAFB.

and Jim Thome is in his prime? Look Jim Thome is a bigger risk than Frank Thomas because he is being paid more money. I love the fact that the Sox got Thome however he is just as big of a risk.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
I'm sorry but the comments in that article were idiotic.  Your prime is between 37-40?  Why not take it further and say that el duque is in his prime.  GMAFB.

It was a joke... Maybe you're too young to understand this, but people very close to 30 and 40 love to talk about how young they are. 'After all, it's not like I'm 30!' It's tongue-in-cheek.