Kenny Fires Back At Frank

aboz56

I don't begrudge either side in this case. Not re-signing, and getting a replacement for, an oft-injured slugger was a wise move on Kenny's part. However, I can understand Frank's dissappointment in having to move on from his only team, especially one that just won the World Series.

While the back-and-forth comments don't make either person look good, I can see why Kenny and Frank would both be frustrated.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
You seem to be one of the few that thinks that.  Kenny was pushed and prodded until he couldn't just shut up about it anymore.  If he had kept quiet, he'd just be a pussy that wouldn't stand up for his own team.  From the way it sounds, the players are glad that Frank is gone and this whole thing could be a benefit to the chemistry.  KW sees himself as a part of the team, and he won't let a spoiled fatass like Thomas speak so poorly of the organization as a whole.

I think that too. Frank's stuff reads like whining, sure, but he sure as hell doesn't call anyone an idiot. He's careful to say he still respects everyone involved, including Jerry. Btw, since when does Reinsdorf need KW to speak for him? Since, of course, that's what Kenny was most upset about... If Reinsdorf wants to go to the press about it, let's hear it from him.

Frank: I think things should have been handled differently.

Kenny: Frank's a f***ing idiot.

Those look similar to you?

Ozzie says that Frank never mentioned his name. But Frank did -- in mentioning Ozzie's similar statements when he left. So Kenny, is Ozzie a selfish idiot too?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
Am I the only Frank Thomas fan left?

If by 'fan' you mean thinking 'Frank can do no wrong', then yes you're right. Frank's comments this offseason have been ridiculous, I really don't understand how you can say 'they haven't been that bad'

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
I think that too.  Frank's stuff reads like whining, sure, but he sure as hell doesn't call anyone an idiot.  He's careful to say he still respects everyone involved, including Jerry.  Btw, since when does Reinsdorf need KW to speak for him?  Since, of course, that's what Kenny was most upset about...  If Reinsdorf wants to go to the press about it, let's hear it from him.

Frank:  I think things should have been handled differently.

Kenny:  Frank's a f***ing idiot.

Those look similar to you?

Ozzie says that Frank never mentioned his name.  But Frank did -- in mentioning Ozzie's similar statements when he left.  So Kenny, is Ozzie a selfish idiot too?

^^^

Exactly, Frank never attacked anyone.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
If by 'fan' you mean thinking 'Frank can do no wrong', then yes you're right.  Frank's comments this offseason have been ridiculous, I really don't understand how you can say 'they haven't been that bad'

His comments weren't that bad. Had he called KW an idiot , then I would disagree with wsj.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
it wasn't even close to being as bad as what KW said.  Frank never called JR an idiot.  Never.  He just said he was upset how it ended and you know what I agree with him.  Do I think he should of opened his mouth like that.  No i don't but I think he has a right to be upset after the way Kenny treated him this off season.  Kenny never checked out his health or made any real effort to try and get something done with Frank.  Look at through Frank's perspective.

I've ended 4 of the past 7 seasons early due to injuries, including the past 2 due to injuries in the same part of my body. I was on the 40-man roster of a World Series winning team. I can also see the White Sox biggest weakness if a very good lefty bat - while Carl Everett is solid at the plate, he should really not be starting anymore. Jim Thome's nearing the end too, but he's got huge power and has shown it in his career with 4 seasons of 40 homers or more in a row, including one season with 52 homers. I also see how there is pretty much no chance in hell I'm going to come back, or that if I do, it will be as a lefty killer off the bench.

Perhaps he could have tried answering the phone when KW called, or returning the phone calls if I miss them?

You aren't the only Frank Thomas fan left. He'll be my favorite ever, and I'm almost positive nothing will change that ever. It doesn't mean he's not out of line with what he's saying. He's completely out of line with what he's saying. If anyone should have taken the high road, it's Frank. No one forced him to do the interview.

Put yourself in KW's shoes. Hell, put yourself in your shoes. (take note WSJ, ahead of time, I do not intend to offend you) You made a choice - one that involves saying Kyle Orton should start at QB for the Bears. You probably regret making it, but nothing can be done to change what you said. People take shots at you due to your comments. You can take the high road for a while and ignore it, but eventually, after so much of it, isn't it hard to stay on the high road?

While Frank didn't say anything as malicious as what Kenny said, if you read the Southtown article and add it to all the things he's said since he signed with Oakland, he's done a s***load of whining. I think Kenny is just tired of it.

And I don't think he's calling him an idiot just based on these recent comments. Its probably just his overall opinion of the man. Kenny makes no secret here that he's been tired of Frank's act for some time. Now, I don't think he should have taken it to the media, but my guess is that KW has good reason to think of Frank as an idiot. Its harsh, but its certainly consistant with what many have thought of Frank throughout his career.

When do the f***ing games start? :bang

Last year I finally thought Frank has turned the corner on this crap but he just hasn't, he's starting to whine again and it really has become ridiculous. I don't like how this stuff is obviously going to become the story following around the team but Kenny has taken the high road long enough on this stuff, enough is enough at some point. As much as Frank has meant to the organization Kenny means more now, and I mean that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
Last year I finally thought Frank has turned the corner on this crap but he just hasn't, he's starting to whine again and it really has become ridiculous.  I don't like how this  stuff is obviously going to become the story following around the team but Kenny has taken the high road long enough on this stuff, enough is enough at some point.  As much as Frank has meant to the organization Kenny means more now, and I mean that.

Agreed with every word. ^^^^^^^

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
Last year I finally thought Frank has turned the corner on this crap but he just hasn't, he's starting to whine again and it really has become ridiculous.  I don't like how this  stuff is obviously going to become the story following around the team but Kenny has taken the high road long enough on this stuff, enough is enough at some point.  As much as Frank has meant to the organization Kenny means more now, and I mean that.

Well said. I think it's obvious Frank tried to say all the right things last year so that he would be brought back. However, ever since he signed with another team, he's acting like someone who's been dumped by their girlfriend. I don't know if Thome will do better than Thomas will this season, but I can guarantee he'll be 100 times a better teammate than Frank ever was.

A War of Words: Kenny Fires Back at Frank

By Jason Gage

Soxtalk.com

Would anyone believe that Frank Thomas isn’t a member of the White Sox anymore? The future Hall of Fame slugger and the single greatest player to play for the White Sox has done nothing but berate and slam his former team since joining the Oakland A’s. The War of Words had been a one army battle, until this weekend when GM Kenny Williams fired back...More

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)

well said although this is a tremendous disappointment.

It shouldnt have happened. I am much happier with Thome this year and I love Frank as one of the greatest white sox ever, but hes doing everything possible to sour the relationship.

The Frank hate is getting pathetic. I can't believe how fickle some of you are. Listen, is Frank innoncent? Not at all. But he does have a right to be atleast a little upset. Frank is not personally attacking anyone. Did he call Kenny or Jerry names? Nope. Has he said anything negative about any of the players, coaches, fans, city, ect? Nope. Yet Kenny can call him and idiot and it's okay? This is why I hate the media. This clown knew what he was doing when asking those questions.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
A War of Words:  Kenny Fires Back at Frank

By Jason Gage

Soxtalk.com

Would anyone believe that Frank Thomas isn’t a member of the White Sox anymore? The future Hall of Fame slugger and the single greatest player to play for the White Sox has done nothing but berate and slam his former team since joining the Oakland A’s. The War of Words had been a one army battle, until this weekend when GM Kenny Williams fired back...More

He slammed the team? Care to be specific?

Wow this is really out of hand. In May when Frank comes back to Chicago, we will all be remembering the 2 MVPs and what should have been #3 if not for roids and Giambi. We will be remembering his 1st inning home runs. We will be remembering his complete domination of the sport in the early 1990s.