L Vs USA 2-0

W VS South Africa 10-4

W VS Canada 9-1

Total Earned Runs = 5

USA

W Vs Mexico 2-0

L VS Canada 6-8

South Africa ?

So, mexico is in. The US needs to beat South Africa By allowing 14 runs or less and they are in. Canada will most likely get eliminated as cheat stated

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Canada

W VS South Africa 11-8

W VS USA  8-6

L VS Mexico 1-9

Total Earned Runs = 23

Mexico

L Vs USA 2-0

W VS South Africa 10-4

W VS Canada 9-1

Total Earned Runs = 5

USA

W Vs Mexico 2-0

L VS Canada 6-8

South Africa  ?

So, mexico is in.  The US needs to beat South Africa By allowing 14 runs or less and they are in.    Canada will most likely get eliminated as cheat stated

The runs allowed against South Africa don't matter. They only count the earned runs against the other teams involved in the tie.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
so, it's just a win and your in type of deal?

In this situation, yes. In the case of a 3-way tie, earned runs allowed against the other teams involved in the tie is the tie-breaker. Mexico would advance with 3 earned runs, and so would the US at 8. Canada would be eliminated because they allowed 15 runs to Mexico and the US.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
so, it's just a win and your in type of deal?

Yes. If we win tomorrow, we're in. Which is absolute bulls***, and it's a ridiculous way to deal with it, I think. If I were a Canadian tomorrow when Roger Clemens knocks South Africa to hell, I'd be furious at the Tournament's ridiculous rules.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
In this situation, yes. In the case of a 3-way tie, earned runs allowed against the other teams involved in the tie is the tie-breaker. Mexico would advance with 3 earned runs, and so would the US at 8. Canada would be eliminated because they allowed 15 runs to Mexico and the US.

I can't belive a game like this won't be telivised (for me anyways) until 2 am. I dont know what the hell espn deportes is. I don't get that.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
Yes. If we win tomorrow, we're in. Which is absolute bulls***, and it's a ridiculous way to deal with it, I think. If I were a Canadian tomorrow when Roger Clemens knocks South Africa to hell, I'd be furious at the Tournament's ridiculous rules.

I don't think it's ridiculous in my opinion. They Beat us. We Beat mexico. Mexico owned them. You need some sort of tie breaker.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)

What would you propose be the tie-breaker in a 3-way tie? There isn't really an easy method of evaluation without relying on something like what they have. Even if you did something like run differential, Canada would still get screwed.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
I don't think it's ridiculous in my opinion.  They Beat us. We Beat mexico. Mexico owned them.  You need some sort of tie breaker.

You need a tie-breaker, sure, but this one just reeks of cheapness, IMO.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
What would you propose be the tie-breaker in a 3-way tie? There isn't really an easy method of evaluation without relying on something like what they have. Even if you did something like run differential, Canada would still get screwed.

I haven't got a counter proposal to it. I'm sure, now that that's said, that there must be one, I just haven't come across it. All I'm saying is that it seems like Canada is getting the Shaft unfairly, and that these rules seem a bit archaeic to me.

Makes me almost want to hope that South Africa beats us tomorrow. :canada

The silly part is that of all sports, baseball is probably the one where the better team is least likely to win. Each pool should have at least had a home and home where each team could play six games and get a larger sample size.

It might make for some "exciting" baseball down the stretch but could you imagine a single-elimination MLB playoff round? I guess there's the wildcard play-in game but I've always hated that too.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
You need a tie-breaker, sure, but this one just reeks of cheapness, IMO.

I haven't got a counter proposal to it. I'm sure, now that that's said, that there must be one, I just haven't come across it. All I'm saying is that it seems like Canada is getting the Shaft unfairly, and that these rules seem a bit archaeic to me.

Makes me almost want to hope that South Africa beats us tomorrow.  :canada

I don't know. I have a hard time feeling sorry for canada. They knew coming in not to give up 9 runs and lose. They knew it was basically a must win. Because A) The US created a cusion when they pitched a shutout the first game and B ) Canada only beat the US by 2 when it was all said and done.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
The silly part is that of all sports, baseball is probably the one where the better team is least likely to win. Each pool should have at least had a home and home where each team could play six games and get a larger sample size.

It might make for some "exciting" baseball down the stretch but could you imagine a single-elimination MLB playoff round? I guess there's the wildcard play-in game but I've always hated that too.

A double round robin would definitely be better, that's the setup the use in the Champion's League. There'd almost certainly be more seperation that way. You can't really come up with a solid tie-breaker for only 3 games like this unless you only have a 2 team tie where you could use head to head results. Run differential might be a little better, but Canada would still be the odd team out. I think the only thing Canada would win would be runs scored, and that's probably the worst way to do it.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
I don't know.  I have a hard time feeling sorry for canada.  They knew coming in not to give up 9 runs and lose.  They knew it was basically a must win.  Because A) The US created a cusion when they pitched a shutout the first game and B )  Canada only beat the US by 2 when it was all said and done.

You're right that they should've played better, but I still lose my starry eyed love for the WBC with things like this.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
You're right that they should've played better, but I still lose my starry eyed love for the WBC with things like this.

meh. the tiebreaker rule is fine for what it is. What i think would have been better is a home and home round robin, which would have given some more seperation. But with that, comes more games and more chances of injury.

Kind of a lose/lose situation.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)

reminds me of the College World Series....

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
The pitcher from the netherlands just threw a 7-inning mercy rule no-hitter. He didn't strike out a single batter, and his 65th pitch was a double play to end the 7th.

George Steinbrenner is already of the phone trying to sign him.