downtown protest

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
Who cares?  It doesn't make it right if the government profits off of it.  It doesn't make it right if anyone profits off of it.

Exactly. And I'd like to see the government make the proper moves, not this silly new law. Unfortunately, they're not.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Who cares?  It doesn't make it right if the government profits off of it.  It doesn't make it right if anyone profits off of it.

Which is why the blind eye has been turned toward this for years.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Why is that? Because they have all been caught? Please explain, because I don't know what you mean. Usually the bigger the company with more people, then the easier it becomes to catch them. The easier it is that someone will end up not liking you and calling immigration on you.

Walmart got caught using illegal immigrants last year. In the settlement with the Feds, the feds agreed that they would perform no more surprise inspections looking for illegal immigrants...they have to give Bentonville a couple days warning before any inspection.

Now I think anyone in their right mind can figure out why Walmart might want a settlement clause like that.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
But it should be illegal if he doesn't report them to the authorities. It's not about not treating them, it's about not telling someone they are illegally here.

No, its going to be a felony for a doctor to treat the patient. Which is a violation of the oath they take. The law is pretty extreme IMO. Most of these people make your daily life the way it is. The place you eat for lunch, the bathroom you use during the day, even the sidewalks you walk on.

Everyone here should go and watch "A Day Without a Mexican" Its a great movie to watch the real impact of immigrants on our society.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
I have seen a steady flow of people, packed sidewalk to sidewalk on Adams for two hours straight.    They must be doing a lap.  There is no way that is one long line.

They stretched from Michigan ave to the river. my office view is down the whole street.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Family only helps out so much.  Nobody stays anywhere for free very long.

No need to be bitter because our opinions on a subject differ.

I am not bitter at all. I just wish you would read the whole thing before commenting. It is like talking to someone who isn't even paying attention to what you are saying, they are just thinking of the next question to ask you.

I really don't think you know what you are talking about. Family helps out a great deal. Say an uncle owns a dry wall company or trucking company. That uncle will pay the relative the same as all the other employees, but the relative will get paid under the table. Hell he may even make him a supervisor or such. Not to mention this uncle may be helping to provide room and board for this relative. If he doesn't then another friend of his may. Or they may be living very cheaply by renting a room in order to save and send back any money he earns to Mexico. I know a lot about how this works. I have seen it done a lot.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
I hate this, and I'm going to get labled, but screw it.

YOU ARE HERE ILLEGALY, STFU, GO HOME, AND COME BACK LEGALLY!!

Rights my ass.  You don't have any unless you do it the right way.

Label me as well, because I completely agree. :usa

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
Walmart got caught using illegal immigrants last year.  In the settlement with the Feds, the feds agreed that they would perform no more surprise inspections looking for illegal immigrants...they have to give Bentonville a couple days warning before any inspection. 

Now I think anyone in their right mind can figure out why Walmart might want a settlement clause like that.

Wow I never knew. Why would the feds agree to such a thing?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
Wow I never knew. Why would the feds agree to such a thing?

Just looked it up...it was the settlement in Wal-Mart's child labor case last November. Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters are given a 15 day warning before any inspection.

The Feds would agree to such a thing because wal-mart has a lot of money.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Just looked it up...it was the settlement in Wal-Mart's child labor case last November.  Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters are given a 15 day warning before any inspection.

The Feds would agree to such a thing because wal-mart has a lot of money.

And because they think that it is more efficient for the government if a huge company like Walmart polices itself. I am not necessarily saying that will work, but that is the thought process I am sure.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
I am not bitter at all. I just wish you would read the whole thing before commenting. It is like talking to someone who isn't even paying attention to what you are saying, they are just thinking of the next question to ask you.

I really don't think you know what you are talking about. Family helps out a great deal. Say an uncle owns a dry wall company or trucking company. That uncle will pay the relative the same as all the other employees, but the relative will get paid under the table. Hell he may even make him a supervisor or such. Not to mention this uncle may be helping to provide room and board for this relative. If he doesn't then another friend of his may. Or they may be living very cheaply by renting a room in order to save and send back any money he earns to Mexico. I know a lot about how this works. I have seen it done a lot.

I have read the whole thing and have read every point that you've made. If I've disagreed, I've said it. When someone disagrees, it doesn't mean they're not listening. ;)

So tell me how it is that you don't think I know what I'm talking about, although it's funny when having a discussion with someone who clearly thinks they know more than you. I've yet to make those sorts of comments about anyone who has posted in this thread.

I'm well aware of the goings-on that you speak of, along with what goes on in many factories in Chicago.

Thankfully for Raines' comments detailing the parade route, I left school earlier than usual. Traffic outside UIC on Harrison was horrendous. It was backed up in every direction far beyond my sight. Bus service wouldn't have been very useful.

I passed alongside the parade route walking to Union Station. Surprisingly festive atmosphere. Outside Greektown there was barbeques and loud mariacci music blarring outside several cars. Sure there were signs and individuals yelling slogans, but it wasn't all business.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
And because they think that it is more efficient for the government if a huge company like Walmart polices itself.  I am not necessarily saying that will work, but that is the thought process I am sure.

Considering how many times in the past few years wal-mart has been caught employing illegals...i doubt they think that at all. Or if they do...they're not even intelligent enough to manage an Arabian Horse Trading association. I think they just want to make sure that the company's campaign contributions keep flowing.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
I have read the whole thing and have read every point that you've made.  If I've disagreed, I've said it.  When someone disagrees, it doesn't mean they're not listening.  ;)

So tell me how it is that you don't think I know what I'm talking about, although it's funny when having a discussion with someone who clearly thinks they know more than you.  I've yet to make those sorts of comments about anyone who has posted in this thread.

I'm well aware of the goings-on that you speak of, along with what goes on in many factories in Chicago.

If you are well aware of it then you wouldn't make such comments that "family can only do so much" or disagree with it. That is why I don't think you know what you are talking about. You haven't said you don't agree with something, you just ignore it and state somethign else. The things you have stated make it seem like you don't know what you are talking about.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
Considering how many times in the past few years wal-mart has been caught employing illegals...i doubt they think that at all.  Or if they do...they're not even intelligent enough to manage an Arabian Horse Trading association.  I think they just want to make sure that the company's campaign contributions keep flowing.

I bet there was a deal made about that. Internal security at Walmart would make a promise to handle it, Feds would lay back a bit. Again, not saying it will work, but federal agencies are real big lately on compromises that allow private security work to do some things for them. All those agencies (FBI, SEC/CFTC, ATF, etc.) are way short-handed.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
If you are well aware of it then you wouldn't make such comments that "family can only do so much" or disagree with it. That is why I don't think you know what you are talking about. You haven't said you don't agree with something, you just ignore it and state somethign else. The things you have stated make it seem like you don't know what you are talking about.

Are the insults really necessary?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
I bet there was a deal made about that.  Internal security at Walmart would make a promise to handle it, Feds would lay back a bit.  Again, not saying it will work, but federal agencies are real big lately on compromises that allow private security work to do some things for them.  All those agencies (FBI, SEC/CFTC, ATF, etc.) are way short-handed.

If that sort of deal was made...it wasn't written in the settlement as far as I know.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)

Didn't know you're the expert, maybe you've had extensive contact with illegal immigrants and their families...I'm just gonna go ahead and make my comments without worrying if you deem them correct or incorrect.

And you can point out what I've ignored because it certainly hasn't been on purpose. I've commented on plenty so far in this thread.

Some of my points have been ignored too, mainly where I've stated that I am against the law that is going to affect people who assist (not just hire) illegal immigrants, and that I'm all for the government implementing the right type of action, which they clearly haven't.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
If that sort of deal was made...it wasn't written in the settlement as far as I know.

I'm sure it wouldn't have been. The federal government does not ever want to put on paper that it is giving up any sort of control of law enforcement or security. But it is becoming a reality anyway.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
Are the insults really necessary?

I agree. The discussion was going just fine when it stuck to talking about the topic at hand and not individual posters. I wasn't expecting the credibility of my opinions to be attacked by someone who clearly knows more about the subject than all of us...and isn't afraid to let us know. :lol:

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
I'm sure it wouldn't have been.  The federal government does not ever want to put on paper that it is giving up any sort of control of law enforcement or security.  But it is becoming a reality anyway.

When the deal was made...the Labor Department's inspector General complained of "Serious Breakdowns" as the U.S. government had made major concessions to Wal-Mart without getting anything serious back in return. So IMO, it sure looks like that was just a complete cave-in.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
When the deal was made...the Labor Department's inspector General complained of "Serious Breakdowns" as the U.S. government had made major concessions to Wal-Mart without getting anything serious back in return.  So IMO, it sure looks like that was just a complete cave-in.

Could be. I certainly don't know anything about the deal's specifics.