Thome at 1B?

FlaCWS

Does anyone know if Ozzie plans to give Thome any time at 1B this spring once he's 100% healthy? Is the plan to have him be a DH exclusively all year?

If Gload doesn't make the team, we can always go with Ozuna, Dye or Makowiak (or maybe a combo of the three) to back up Konerko. I'm just curious if anything has been discussed about this.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 02:08 AM)
I remember reading that the plan may be to get Thome two starts a week at first base but I don't really see that happening.  I see maybe one start a week at the most.

I remember reading somewhere that Thome isn't gonna play the field til at least a month or 2 into the season.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
I remember reading that the plan may be to get Thome two starts a week at first base but I don't really see that happening.  I see maybe one start a week at the most.

That sounds about right. Ozzie is no fool. Our entire season revolves around Thome being healthy. No sense in risking his health to play a position that we're already set at.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 02:05 AM)
Does anyone know if Ozzie plans to give Thome any time at 1B this spring once he's 100% healthy? Is the plan to have him be a DH exclusively all year?

If Gload doesn't make the team, we can always go with Ozuna, Dye or Makowiak (or maybe a combo of the three) to back up Konerko. I'm just curious if anything has been discussed about this.

The only thing in the papers about this is Ozzie has said is that they don't plan on playing him at 1b in the spring. And that Ozzie didn't want him getting hurt playing 1b. This leads me to believe that Gload will come up north. Why risk Thome getting hurt playing the field when the sox need his bat all season long? Thome out at 1b diving and throwing could get him hurt. Stick him at DH, where he doesn't have to throw [so as not to put stress on his healing elbow] and move around as much. Why increase the risk of injury playing the field when you don't have to?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:23 AM)
The only thing in the papers about this is Ozzie has said is that they don't plan on playing him at 1b in the spring. And that Ozzie didn't want him getting hurt playing 1b. This leads me to believe that Gload will come up north. Why risk Thome getting hurt playing the field when the sox need his bat all season long? Thome out at 1b diving and throwing could get him hurt. Stick him at DH, where he doesn't have to throw [so as not to put stress on his healing elbow] and move around as much. Why increase the risk of injury playing the field when you don't have to?

Good point, but I'll add that the Sox have made a point of mentioning that Mack and Cintron could play 1B. I think it'll come down to which area Ozzie feels more comfortbale with (OF backups vs. 1B backups) as far as Borch vs. Gload is concerned.

Good point, but I'll add that the Sox have made a point of mentioning that Mack and Cintron could play 1B. I think it'll come down to which area Ozzie feels more comfortbale with (OF backups vs. 1B backups) as far as Borch vs. Gload is concerned.

Cintron may be able to play first base but he has never played a game there in his MLB career. Also, Mackowiak has played a total of 5 games at first base in his MLB career.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)

Mack can't be everywhere. He should get most of his AB's in the OF and some at 2b. Cintron will get his at 3b, SS and 2b.

I think it comes down to which player needs to be protected, seeing how little either Gload or Joe B would play. My guess is Thome and PK. Who better to provide protection for these two key players than a backup 1b man?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:24 AM)
Mack can't be everywhere. He should get most of his AB's in the OF and some at 2b. Cintron will get his at 3b, SS and 2b.

I think it comes down to which player needs to be protected, seeing how little either Gload or Joe B would play. My guess is Thome and PK. Who better to provide protection for these two key players than a backup 1b man?

I don't disagree.

The last thing I want to see is Thome getting hurt needlessly.

Although I don't mean to imply that I think Jim is fragile or anything like that.

I personally feel that he'd be able to play 1B once or twice a week with no problem. It's just a matter of risk vs. reward. Do the Sox want to risk putting their everyday DH out there, or would they rather use another option? If it's the latter, then Ross definitely has the upper hand IMO.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
Cintron may be able to play first base but he has never played a game there in his MLB career.  Also, Mackowiak has played a total of 5 games at first base in his MLB career.

Timo had 0 games at first in his career before last year, but that didn't stop Ozzie from putting him there at some point during 2 games. The same can be said for Jermaine Dye, who everyone wanted to put there if Paulie left during the offseason, who had never played first before last year, when he got put there during a game.

I know that with Mack, we are talking about putting him there more than 3 times during the year, but I don't think it will really matter how experienced he is there. If Ozzie and company believe that he can do the job, they'll put him there, and I'm sure that if they plan on using him at first during the season, they'll give him plenty of practice.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)

I'll bet this is somehow a fantasy baseball related post

I fully expect to see Thome play first on occasion this year. He's always played defensively. This will be his first year as a primary DH. This is not Frank Thomas we are talking. Thome is perfectly capable of playing first with no more risk of injury than exists for Paulie playing first or Crede playing at third.

This is my first post here but I've lurked around here for some time now. Anyways, I think Thome will play a little first base come Interleague play. I remember reading something about him not being 100% healthy to play the field right now. I would rather see him play first during Interleague and a few times a week to give Paulie a break then to see go out there and play the field and have him risk an injury in spring training.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
I fully expect to see Thome play first on occasion this year.  He's always played defensively.  This will be his first year as a primary DH.  This is not Frank Thomas we are talking.  Thome is perfectly capable of playing first with no more risk of injury than exists for Paulie playing first or Crede playing at third.

Seconded.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:40 AM)
I'll bet this is somehow a fantasy baseball related post

Ha... no, it really wasn't. I don't play fantasy baseball.

I was honestly just curious. Personally I agree with everyone who says there is no need to risk him out there. But at the same time I don't think we have to bring Gload north. We're talking one day a week to give Paulie some rest. Ozuna could do that job, as could Mack or Dye.

QUOTE(PaleHose35 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:05 PM)
This is my first post here but I've lurked around here for some time now. Anyways, I think Thome will play a little first base come Interleague play.  I remember reading something about him not being 100% healthy to play the field right now. I would rather see him play first during Interleague and a few times a week to give Paulie a break then to see go out there and play the field and have him risk an injury in spring training.

Welcome aboard! :headbang