BMac role change?

Timoperezrulez

I think one bad outing doesn't make you go into a panic move.

We've still got Cotts and Politte for that role. Your concerns on Hermy are warranted, but let's wait before he actually bombs in the regular season, before we think a move might be made.

I would hope that Hermanson is made the mop-up guy if he is even on the roster come opening day. But I read something about the Sox using McCarthy the same way they used El Duque in the playoffs last season. There was some issue about how it takes McCarthy longer to warm up than a reliever because he's been a starter for so long.

I think one bad outing doesn't make you go into a panic move.

We've still got Cotts and Politte for that role. Your concerns on Hermy are warranted, but let's wait before he actually bombs in the regular season, before we think a move might be made.

Did you see what happened in today's game? He was throwing meatballs and was yanked due to some sort of injury.

Edited by SSH2005

On the Soxtalk Podcast I said that for this team to succeed and for the pen to be better than expected, everyone will have to stay healthy, but most importantly Bmac will have to assert himself in as the setup man along with Cotts.

I think he's capable, but Politte wasn't as strong in the 2nd half and Hermy has to prove to me he's healthy. If Hermy's healthy he won't be as good as he was last season, but he'll be solid.

This team is still one arm short to open spring and it will need another arm around the deadline.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Did you see what happened in today's game?  He was throwing meatballs and was yanked due to some sort of injury.

That's why it's good it's happening in Spring Training and not in a crucial part of an important regular season game.

My point is, I think it's more likely as Jason said that we'd trade for a guy who could fill in that role if Hermy got injured, instead of changing B-Mac into a setup man.

That's why it's good it's happening in Spring Training and not in a crucial part of an important regular season game.

My point is, I think it's more likely as Jason said that we'd trade for a guy who could fill in that role if Hermy got injured, instead of changing B-Mac into a setup man.

I agree with that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)

Technically speaking I said by seasons end Bmac will be our main setup guy along with Cotts. I firmly believe that too. Bmac is going to play a big role for this team.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
Technically speaking I said by seasons end Bmac will be our main setup guy along with Cotts.  I firmly believe that too.  Bmac is going to play a big role for this team.

You figure for McCarthy to overtake Politte as one of our main setup pitchers both Cliff and Hermanson would have to regress hard. If he's successfull--which would have to be the case if he's one of our main setup men--wouldn't you be concerned of removing him from a long relief role? Instead of using McCarthy for three/four innings every 4 days he would be pitching perhaps one/two innings every 2 days. I would be worried of throwing off his routine.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

You figure for McCarthy to overtake Politte as one of our main setup pitchers both Cliff and Hermanson would have to regress hard. If he's successfull--which would have to be the case if he's one of our main setup men--wouldn't you be concerned of removing him from a LOOGY role? Instead of using McCarthy for three/four innings every 4 days he would be pitching perhaps one/two innings every 2 days. I would be worried of throwing off his routine.

That is a good point, I didn't think about that.

Now if the Sox are going to trade for another bullpen guy at the end of ST, here are some possibilities;

Scott Williamson - Said he would like to close, could still have that oppurtunity here if Jenks falters. Dunno if the Cubs would deal with us though.

Ryan Wagner - Really fallen out of favor in Cinci. Depends how Krivsky likes him.

Danny Graves - Doubtful to make Cleveland bullpen competiting with 3 other guys for 1 spot. Given up 1 unearned run in his last 4IP.

Zach Day - Now if you wanted to move B-Mac into a setup role, if you needed a long man, Day could be your guy. Excellent groundball pitcher IIRC, but has had arm issues.

Brian Shackleford - A lefty from Cinci. Better against righties, and had some good numbers last season with a 2.43 ERA in 37 games.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
On the Soxtalk Podcast I said that for this team to succeed and for the pen to be better than expected, everyone will have to stay healthy, but most importantly Bmac will have to assert himself in as the setup man along with Cotts. 

I think he's capable, but Politte wasn't as strong in the 2nd half and Hermy has to prove to me he's healthy.  If Hermy's healthy he won't be as good as he was last season, but he'll be solid. 

This team is still one arm short to open spring and it will need another arm around the deadline.

i completely agree and I think we will need to get another arm from another team. Nobody in our farm looks like they can take on a major bullpen role.We Will get someone.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
Now if the Sox are going to trade for another bullpen guy at the end of ST, here are some possibilities;

Scott Williamson - Said he would like to close, could still have that oppurtunity here if Jenks falters. Dunno if the Cubs would deal with us though.

Ryan Wagner - Really fallen out of favor in Cinci. Depends how Krivsky likes him.

Danny Graves - Doubtful to make Cleveland bullpen competiting with 3 other guys for 1 spot. Given up 1 unearned run in his last 4IP.

Zach Day - Now if you wanted to move B-Mac into a setup role, if you needed a long man, Day could be your guy. Excellent groundball pitcher IIRC, but has had arm issues.

Brian Shackleford - A lefty from Cinci. Better against righties, and had some good numbers last season with a 2.43 ERA in 37 games.

i too was thinking about Graves. He would need to be released, highly doubt the tribe trades him to us.

There's no panic mode involved. Hermanson was actually PULLED from today's game due to some sort of injury. He was also throwing weak meatballs. I don't think it's considered panic mode when a guy has been throwing horribly all ST and looks to be injured.

Edited by SSH2005

I think he's capable, but Politte wasn't as strong in the 2nd half and Hermy has to prove to me he's healthy. If Hermy's healthy he won't be as good as he was last season, but he'll be solid.

is the podcast up somewhere yet? If so could you tell me where it is, or how i could get it? thanks

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
There's no panic mode involved.  Hermanson was actually PULLED from today's game due to some sort of injury.  He was also throwing weak meatballs.  I don't think it's considered panic mode when a guy has been throwing horribly all ST and looks to be injured.

The question was should Bmac move to the role as set-up man. Did Cotts and Politte die just recently?

The question was should Bmac move to the role as set-up man.  Did Cotts and Politte die just recently?

Politte and Cotts should stay in setup. McCarthy should have the El Duque role from the postseason and also spot start when needed. But we still need someone to replace Hermanson, IMO. I didn't think he was going to have a very good season when I thought he was healthy. Now that I know he's not even close to 100%, we definately need another arm.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
Politte and Cotts should stay in setup.  McCarthy should have the El Duque role from the postseason and also spot start when needed.  But we still need someone to replace Hermanson, IMO.  I didn't think he was going to have a very good season when I thought he was healthy.  Now that I know he's not even close to 100%, we definately need another arm.

I agree with all of this. So what are we debating? :lol:

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
is the podcast up somewhere yet? If so could you tell me where it is, or how i could get it? thanks

Just the mp3 file. We are doing the 2nd show tomorrow and Mario is the one who knows that stuff, but he was going to talk to someone. Hopefully by tomorrow we'll be able to have both set as podcasts as well.