Can Paulino Reynoso = Damaso Marte?

SSH2005

It seems like both of these guys have a similar delivery and they both are pretty much two-pitch pitchers -- low 90's fastball and good slider. I know that Reynoso's problem is control just like what Marte's current problem is. But could Reynoso be the next Marte (hopefully the 2002-2004 version) or does he just walk too many batters to be successful? Anyone know more about this guy?

Reynoso has an arm the Sox brass loves. I know he's one of those guys Wilder is really high on. He also throws a decent slider, but command is a big issue.

Definately has some upside, but he's going to have to consistently throw strikes before he reaches it.

Signed with the Sox as a 1B

Yeah, that's interesting. I just read that at Baseball America.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/featu...0329team31.html

Paulino Reynoso, lhp, White Sox

Born: Aug. 10, 1980. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 190. Bats: L. Throws: L. Career Transactions: Signed out of Dominican Republic by White Sox, Dec. 21, 1998. Signed by: Denny Gonzalez.

Originally signed as a corner infielder, Reynoso moved to the mound after the 2000 season. The White Sox have brought him along carefully, limiting his starts and his pitch counts, but now look ready to advance him more rapidly as a reliever. Added to the 40-man roster in the offseason, Reynoso projects to have the most value as a lefthanded setup man. He can light up a radar gun with a low-90s fastball that tops out at 94, and he also has a plus slider. Those two pitches make him very tough on lefthanders, though he could use a better changeup to combat righthanders. Though Reynoso must continue to work on repeating his delivery, his control is improving. He should advance to Double-A Birmingham in 2005.

Reynoso has looked pretty good this spring. Looks like he has taken over as the leading candidate for the Lefty job.

IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR    ERA   WHIP

P Reynoso 5 2 0 0 3 6 0 0.00 1.00

J Lopez 6 8 4 4 1 7 0 6.00 1.50

S Tracey 4 8 3 3 2 2 0 6.75 2.50

A Almanza 4 1/3 6 5 5 1 4 0 10.39 1.62

T Redding 4 1/3 10 5 5 3 2 1 10.39 3.00

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 01:10 AM)
Reynoso has looked pretty good this spring.  Looks like he has taken over as the leading candidate for the Lefty job.

IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR    ERA   WHIP

P Reynoso                          5  2  0  0  3  6  0    0.00  1.00

J Lopez                            6  8  4  4  1  7  0    6.00  1.50

S Tracey                          4  8  3  3  2  2  0    6.75  2.50

A Almanza                      4 1/3  6  5  5  1  4  0  10.39  1.62

T Redding                      4 1/3  10  5  5  3  2  1  10.39  3.00

I still think it's Lopez at this point. Reynoso is right there, though.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 02:14 AM)
I still think it's Lopez at this point.  Reynoso is right there,  though.

I am just wondering if the Sox would consider giving both of them roster spots if they both pitch well for the remainder of ST, considering what happened to Hermie.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:22 PM)
I am just wondering if the Sox would consider giving both of them roster spots if they both pitch well for the remainder of ST, considering what happened to Hermie.

If Hermy is down, I think the Sox will pick up a veteran thats on the bubble somewhere else. Thats my guess though. We need bullpen help and badly. What hurts worse is the fact that our system isn't going to have the people necessary to allow KW to go out and get players (which means if we trade for people at the deadline, he'll have to take on salary, imo).

And if he does trade the few prospects we have left, than we'll have zero chips. If it wins us another WS fine, but I think Kenny is going to be a lot less active (in terms of giving up prospects) in 2006 than in past years.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 01:22 AM)

I think Kenny is gonna go out and try to fine atleast one proven guy. As far as in-house canidates go, it's possible that both Lopez/Reynoso could make the team. Like you said, they would both have to pitch like they currently have been the rest of the spring. I think it would be just one of them, though.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 01:10 AM)
Reynoso has looked pretty good this spring.  Looks like he has taken over as the leading candidate for the Lefty job.

IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR    ERA   WHIP

P Reynoso                          5  2  0  0  3  6  0    0.00  1.00

J Lopez                            6  8  4  4  1  7  0    6.00  1.50

S Tracey                          4  8  3  3  2  2  0    6.75  2.50

A Almanza                      4 1/3  6  5  5  1  4  0  10.39  1.62

T Redding                      4 1/3  10  5  5  3  2  1  10.39  3.00

Reynoso has faced nothing but AA hitters, I would hope he's finally figuring out how to get them out. 2006 would mark his 3rd year in B'ham.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 01:33 AM)
Reynoso has faced nothing but AA hitters, I would hope he's finally figuring out how to get them out. 2006 would mark his 3rd year in B'ham.

I agree with this. He looked great yesterday, but when you face a teams B team in the late innings you will be facing guys who won't be in the major leagues, at least not this season. I really think Ozzie should start some of these relief candidates, warm them up like its a relief appearance, but start them so they actually face major leaguers.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:24 AM)
I agree with this. He looked great yesterday, but when you face a teams B team in the late innings you will be facing guys who won't be in the major leagues, at least not this season. I really think Ozzie should start some of these relief candidates, warm them up like its a relief appearance, but start them so they actually face major leaguers.

I agree. It really is one of the only ways to see if these left-handed "pitchers" are worth carrying. To be honest with you, I had Reynoso pegged as the early favorite well before spring training. I know Wilder is really big on the kid's arm, but, he's suffered control problems has he not?

To be honest, I'm starting to get a little worried about bullpen depth. After having seen the importance of a dominating bullpen in 2005, I'm a complete believer. You can't bulls*** your way through the later innings and expect to win the pennant.

Trading Bajenaru doesn't add to my worries; however, he seemed like the only in-house candidate able to step in and at least compete against some MLB talent if or, better yet, WHEN Hermanson goes down.

Trading for bullpen help may not be the wisest move at this juncture either. If Williams can pull off a trade using some minor leaguers, I'm fine with that. Do what you have to do, but, don't tell me you're going to start 2006 with two Sox farm-hands in the bullpen, while moving Brandon McCarthy to an unfamiliar role.

It's a real area of concern.