Who's on the radar?

kevo880

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Timoperezrulez @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
Danny Graves, Scott Williamson are his main targets from other teams.

Graves plays for an interdivision team.

Williamson wants to be traded to a destination in which he would have the opportunity to close.

Fabio Castro has been getting roughed up with Texas, increasing the chances the Rangers will offer him back to the White Sox rather than keep him on their roster.

Castro just bounced back...

Latest News  Mar. 13, 2006 - 7:33 pm et

Fabio Castro struck out four in two hitless innings of relief work against the Royals today.

Castro walked two, but the Rule 5 pick still bounced back nicely from a Thursday's game against the Royals, in which he allowed five runs.

Latest News  Mar. 13, 2006 - 7:54 pm et

Joe Borchard hit his second homer and doubled as the center fielder for the White Sox today.

Borchard is 5-for-22 with a 5/2 K/BB ratio. The Alex Cintron trade leaves Borchard and Ross Gload competing for one roster spot, with Gload the clear favorite at this point. Borchard will be traded or go on waivers if he doesn't make the team.

C'mon Borchie, keep hitting those dingers so KW can trade you for a decent reliever!

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
C'mon Borchie, keep hitting those dingers so KW can trade you for a decent reliever!

If the rest of the league is aware that both Borchard and Gload have no more minor league options left, wouldn't that hurt their stock in the extreme?

Either one or both of them would have to go through waivers.

Am I missing something?

If the rest of the league is aware that both Borchard and Gload have no more minor league options left, wouldn't that hurt their stock in the extreme?

Either one or both of them would have to go through waivers.

Am I missing something?

Yes, but if they wanted Borchard for example they would still have to trade for him because the Royals will almost surely claim him off waivers before other teams get a chance to.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
we don't really need to trade for a reliever do we? I thought we had a great farm system of talent. Well you guys know better than I do.

Wait, now, did anyone in here actually suggest we can fill this void from within the system?

I haven't seen that suggested yet.

I understand the cynicism towards the prospects, but, without trading a valuable chip at this point, I can't imagine landing anyone of value. That ship has sailed.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
Wait, now, did anyone in here actually suggest we can fill this void from within the system?

I haven't seen that suggested yet.

I understand the cynicism towards the prospects, but, without trading a valuable chip at this point, I can't imagine landing anyone of value.  That ship has sailed.

no but most people on the board love our farm. I just thought we would have one of our great farm hands to jump right in. You know the great arnie Munoz or someone like that. You know the blue chipper who was suppose to be in our bullpen by now. Damn there has to be someone ready down there,don't you think? Or maybe they all suck, yea thats it. they all suck.

no but most people on the board love our farm. I just thought we would have one of our great farm hands to jump right in. You know the great arnie Munoz or someone like that. You know the blue chipper who was suppose to be in our bullpen by now. Damn there has to be someone ready down there,don't you think? Or maybe they all suck, yea thats it. they all suck.

I think most people just don't want to trade the top guys like Sweeney, Fields, Valido, Owens, Broadway, and Liotta. Who cares if they trade any of the other guys down there. Rock Raines mentioned Rogowski and he would be an ideal guy to package in a trade, although he obviously isn't going to have the trade value of the top guys.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SouthsideBlitz @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
Our farm system has talent but I doubt some one from A or AA can come up and compete with Major League talent right off the bat ...

yes welcome to the board. No offense.. Really Which players have talent? Honel, malone, the guy with one hand, redding, west, munoz, lumsden, Tracey, whisler, HAeger, they all suck. No talent.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
I think most people just don't want to trade the top guys like Sweeney, Fields, Valido, Owens, Broadway, and Liotta.  Who cares if they trade any of the other guys down there.  Rock Raines mentioned Rogowski and he would be an ideal guy to package in a trade, although he obviously isn't going to have the trade value of the top guys.

If it were up to me, everybody would be fair game except for Sweeney and Fields. Sweeny for obvious reasons. I think he's gonna be a stud very soon. Fields has already shown glimpses of what he can become. I predict a big year out of him in '06.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
I think most people just don't want to trade the top guys like Sweeney, Fields, Valido, Owens, Broadway, and Liotta.  Who cares if they trade any of the other guys down there.  Rock Raines mentioned Rogowski and he would be an ideal guy to package in a trade, although he obviously isn't going to have the trade value of the top guys.

What makes Broadway so great? I thought Honel had better upside when he was drafted. Broadway was a bad pick, in fact all of last years draft was pretty bad. But, your right most of our talent down there is position players, even though the bulk of our drafts are pitching.

Rock used reasonable conclusions with rogo. There is no room for him. but then again he has little power and that means no room for him on many rosters right now. Still he is one that would be looked at.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)

You know it. You gotta believe that Rogo has more value than Borchard IMO. And there really is no place for him, at all.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)

Alright, well, then let's go from there.

We have a farm full of worthless roster-fillers. We have half a dozen worthwhile prospects that project to big league success. Now, let's pause here to remember even the Yankess of the mid-late 90's had their share of home-grown talent. In order to succeed in this league, as I'm sure you know, you have to develop your own young, cheap talent to plug in.

So, at this juncture, we can do one of two things. We can, first, stand pat and see if one of these young arms are able to contribute. Or, we can trade one or more of our worthwhile prospects--of which we have no more than five or six, mind you--for the final pieces of the 2006 MLB roster, which, appear to be bullpen help.

After having seen the importance of the bullpen last year, will the White Sox find a willing partner to trade bullpen help of any real, significant value? Will this player(s) be any more consistent or trustworthy than an oft-injured Hermanson or a Sox farmhand.

I just don't think I quite understand what it is the Sox should be doing right now.

What makes Broadway so great? I thought Honel had better upside when he was drafted. Broadway was a bad pick, in fact all of last years draft was pretty bad. But, your right most of our talent down there is position players, even though the bulk of our drafts are pitching.

Rock used reasonable conclusions with rogo. There is no room for him. but then again he has little power and that means no room for him on many rosters right now. Still he is one that would be looked at.

Okay, take Broadway out of the list then. My main point is that there is enough mid-level farm talent like Rogowski for example, packaged with Borchard, to net a decent reliever. I doubt that KW will have to trade top rated prospects to obtain a bullpen replacement for Hermanson.