'I just killed a kid'

Steff

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/20/boy.shot.ap/index.html

:headshake

Neighbor charged with shooting teen who walked on his grass

Tuesday, March 21, 2006; Posted: 1:22 a.m. EST (06:22 GMT)

BATAVIA, Ohio (AP) -- A man who neighbors say was devoted to his meticulously kept lawn was charged with murder in the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who apparently walked across his yard.

Charles Martin called 911 on Sunday afternoon, saying calmly: "I just killed a kid."

Police, who released the call's contents, said Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years. Today just blew it up."

Larry Mugrage, whose family lived next door, was shot in the chest with a shotgun. The high school freshman was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn. He remained jailed without bond Monday. His jailers said no attorney was listed for him.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying.

Joanne Ritchie, 46, said Mugrage was known as "a good kid." She said she always also considered Martin to be friendly.

Union Township is near Batavia, about 20 miles east of Cincinnati, Ohio.

We had a neighbor that wasn't quite *that* bad but everytime somebody stepped foot in her yard she came running out yelling at us. It wasn't because she was worried about the grass either. It was because she just didn't want anyone on her property.

It was worse because her yard connected to a large empty field that we played baseball/football/kickball in all the time and there was no fence seperating them.

More than once she stole a ball from us because "it was in her yard". She also got into a shouting match with my friends mom (across the empty lot) and called her every name in the book. The police eventually got to know her address real well.

What' really funny is that her daughter went to school with us.

Edited by Iwritecode

I had a neighbor that reminds me a little of this guy. We had about 8 kids on my block, and would play sports 6-10 hours most days, basketball, football, baseball, hockey, etc. But this guy was a neighbor to one of the houses we played at most, and he couldn't stand having balls bouncing or going into his yard. So he would bother us as much as possible, yelling, and even brought out a fishing pole and kept casting it at us. My friends mom had several yelling matches with him, and the guy called the cops several times on us, to which of course they did nothing about it.

Unfortunately, only later in life did I find out that his wife was dying of brain cancer and slept alot, and he didn't want us bothering her. I got to know him better than the rest of the kids because my paper route went to his house as well, and over time I realized what a kind man he was, that he was just looking out for his wife. I have always felt like s*** for participating in the sports that bothered him next door. If only I would have known earlier. Thank God he wasn't out of his mind like this guy in the article.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
We had a neighbor that wasn't quite *that* bad but everytime somebody stepped foot in her yard she came running out yelling at us. It wasn't because she was worried about the grass either. It was because she just didn't want anyone on her property.

It was worse because her yard connected to a large empty field that we played baseball/football/kickball in all the time and there was no fence seperating them.

More than once she stole a ball from us because "it was in her yard". She also got into a shouting match with my friends mom (across the empty lot) and called her every name in the book. The police eventually got to know her address real well.

What' really funny is that her daughter went to school with us.

Combine this story with the one in the thread and we have the makings of The Sandlot 3

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
I had a neighbor that reminds me a little of this guy. We had about 8 kids on my block, and would play sports 6-10 hours most days, basketball, football, baseball, hockey, etc. But this guy was a neighbor to one of the houses we played at most, and he couldn't stand having balls bouncing or going into his yard. So he would bother us as much as possible, yelling, and even brought out a fishing pole and kept casting it at us. My friends mom had several yelling matches with him, and the guy called the cops several times on us, to which of course they did nothing about it.

Unfortunately, only later in life did I find out that his wife was dying of brain cancer and slept alot, and he didn't want us bothering her. I got to know him better than the rest of the kids because my paper route went to his house as well, and over time I realized what a kind man he was, that he was just looking out for his wife. I have always felt like s*** for participating in the sports that bothered him next door. If only I would have known earlier. Thank God he wasn't out of his mind like this guy in the article.

If that was the case he could of just told you why he wanted you to stop instead of being a prick about it hell bringing out a fishing pole? And if being kids it didnt stop you gone to the parents.... but from the sounds of it he was a total ass about it although it is a sad story about his wife.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
Anybody see the video on CNN with the phone call? The guy shows no signs of remorse as to what he just did, and doesn't seem to really connect with what HE did was wrong. Rather, it was just a reaction to all the bad stuff done to him.

Worst part about it, his lawn looks like s*** anyway.

Yea heard this on my way to work with my grandmother and lil bro in the car. My brother actually told me his friend does that on his way home from school and the neighbor comes out and yells at him about it. But it's beacuase he doesn't like anyone on his grass. He does have problems though cause he takes medicine for anti-depression of some s*** like that so my brother is probably gonna say something tomorrow to his friend about this.