Some shake-up to occur?

fathom

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
It won't be hard to find a reliever better than Thornton when the roster cuts commence.  The guy has a 1.68 career WHIP.  That's just plain awful.  Ricky Bottalico was just released by the Orioles.  He's older than dirt but he would probably outperform Thornton.

I have a little more faith than you, apparently, in Kenny and Coop. They both, along with some of the Sox scouts, think they can straighten this guy out. I think it's worth a shot based solely on that. Bottalico is more than likely done.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a little more faith than you, apparently, in Kenny and Coop.  They both, along with some of the Sox scouts, think they can straighten this guy out.  I think it's worth a shot based solely on that.  Bottalico is more than likely done.

Agreed, Bottalico is most likely done. But there will be relievers cut soon who are better than Thornton. If Thornton still had options, he would probably be replaced by someone more reliable and headed for Charlotte to work on his control problems. But since he's out of options, he will likely be on our opening day roster. That's my problem with the situation.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Agreed, Bottalico is most likely done.  But there will be relievers cut soon who are better than Thornton.  If Thornton still had options, he would probably be replaced by someone more reliable and headed for Charlotte to work on his control problems.  But since he's out of options, he will likely be on our opening day roster.

You may be right that there will be better relievers available. But I'll qualify that with 'better today'. Lefties that bring it at 96 mph are hard to come by. If Coop and KW think they can fix Thornton, it's worth the gamble.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Agreed, Bottalico is most likely done.  But there will be relievers cut soon who are better than Thornton.  If Thornton still had options, he would probably be replaced by someone more reliable and headed for Charlotte to work on his control problems.  But since he's out of options, he will likely be on our opening day roster.  That's my problem with the situation.

Exactly. KW thinks Coop can turn him into a decent reliever for our team. I'm sure everyone here is at least a little skeptical of that, but KW and Coop should have earned everybody's benefit of the doubt by now.

You may be right that there will be better relievers available.  But I'll qualify that with 'better today'.  Lefties that bring it at 96 mph are hard to come by.  If Coop and KW think they can fix Thornton, it's worth the gamble.

Give me a righty who throws 90 MPH and can actually throw strikes any day of the week. It's worth the gamble, but not if he's going to blow games. Try to sneak him through waivers and send him to Charlotte.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
Agreed, Bottalico is most likely done.  But there will be relievers cut soon who are better than Thornton.  If Thornton still had options, he would probably be replaced by someone more reliable and headed for Charlotte to work on his control problems.  But since he's out of options, he will likely be on our opening day roster.  That's my problem with the situation.

Some pitchers just can't be fixed. For example Shingo and Koch, are know those are some extreme examples but its just a fact. Coop has earned a great reputation on the southside to fix pitchers and get the most out of them, but seeing this Thorton guy pitch and looking at his history, this is going to be one heck of a challange. Being the defending champions, is a challange like this safe? There has to be better options out there.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Give me a righty who throws 90 MPH and can actually throw strikes any day of the week.  It's worth the gamble, but not if he's going to blow games.  Try to sneak him through waivers and send him to Charlotte.

I don't think that will happen.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
Some pitchers just can't be fixed. For example Shingo and Koch, are know those are some extreme examples but its just a fact. Coop has earned a great reputation on the southside to fix pitchers and get the most out of them, but seeing this Thorton guy pitch and looking at his history, this is going to be one heck of a challange. Being the defending champions, is a challange like this safe? There has to be better options out there.

As I said, if they think he can be fixed, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

And it really wouldn't be that big of a loss. We were going to dump Borchard anyways. He asked for a trade out of here. Get a guy here who can throw strikes. Just my opinion.

As I said, if they think he can be fixed, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

The problem is that there isn't much time to fix Thornton. When we claimed Jenks off waivers, he had plenty of time to work on his control as a closer at AA. Cooper and Thornton have less than two weeks to work on his control before opening day. Don't get me wrong, I love the potential of fixing a lefty with a 96 MPH fastball but I'd rather see it done in the minors; not as a work in progress during the regular season where every game counts.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
And it really wouldn't be that big of a loss.  We were going to dump Borchard anyways.  He asked for a trade out of here.  Get a guy here who can throw strikes.  Just my opinion.

The problem is that there isn't much time to fix Thornton.  When we claimed Jenks off waivers, he had plenty of time to work on his control as a closer at AA.  Cooper and Thornton have less than two weeks to work on his control before opening day.  Don't get me wrong, I love the potential of fixing a lefty with a 96 MPH fastball but I'd rather see it done in the minors; not as a work in progress during the regular season where every game counts.

I see your point, but I believe that since they have been trying to get this guy for two years, they decided to get him when they can. When Coop asks for film on this guy, which is completely out of character for him according to media sources, he believes he sees something that he can fix. They think a regular season scenario is worth the gamble. They've proven to me that I should give them the opportunity, and time, to see if they can work some magic. If not, they'll cut their losses before too long.

QUOTE(Aderal @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
Anyone know Thortons' lefty righty splits off the top of their head?

nvm found them

strikes out more lefties per 9 but gives up more hits per 9 than to righties and walks are pretty much the same for both gives up more hr per 9 to lefties

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
do you mean adderall?

no im not tryin to spell the actual pill name. My name happens to be alex and my friends call me al for short. I took a couple of ADDERALL once or twice...So one of em came up with AderAL so theyd call me aderAL every so often so ya thats how i came up with it.

edit- i didnt know how the word adderall was spelled so i just winged it

Edited by Aderal

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Iguchi's move to the 2-hole is now permanent according to ESPN 1000 and Ozzie.

Glad to hear it. It sounds like Iguchi must have been trying to do too much powerhitting in the 6 slot, and I never really thought Uribe was the right guy to hit behind Pods.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
Glad to hear it.  It sounds like Iguchi must have been trying to do too much powerhitting in the 6 slot, and I never really thought Uribe was the right guy to hit behind Pods.

Agreed. I'd like to see what Iguchi could do in a full season hitting 6th or 7th, but I'm just not sold on Uribe up front.

Having 4 straight OBPs over .350 or so to start the lineup will be really nice.