Win?

SoxRock05

I know that we are still in ST...but are we going to be able to start winning games with a snap of a finger? During spring traing we are supposed to progress and get back into baseball gear. I have not seen too many of our starters progress since day one. Don't get on my back because i'm putting down our team, because i'm not. I'm just a bit worried that we may not be ready to start the '06 season. I guess we will have to see what happens on April 2.

Btw...to start off this season I will be watching Major League on April 1 to try and put a curse on those pesky Indians, oh and they will be pesky, and we all know that.

Lets start this thing on a good note...Go Sox!!

JiYea!! :cheers

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
Do you know what the Sox record was last spring?

Yea sure, about the same as this year....off hand I'd say maybe 7-19..not sure exactly but I know it's somewhere around that. But I Don't care about the record, as no one should. If history repeats itself like everyone says, then that would be a good thing. I just don't see much improvement from many of the guys since the beginning of ST, just my opinion though, it just doesnt look like we are ready for this season.

QUOTE(SoxRock05 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
I know that we are still in ST...but are we going to be able to start winning games with a snap of a finger?  During spring traing we are supposed to progress and get back into baseball gear.  I have not seen too many  of our starters progress since day one.  Don't get on my back because i'm putting down our team, because i'm not.  I'm just a bit worried that we may not be ready to start the '06 season.  I guess we will have to see what happens on April 2.

Btw...to start off this season I will be watching Major League on April 1 to try and put a curse on those pesky Indians, oh and they will be pesky, and we all know that.

Lets start this thing on a good note...Go Sox!!

JiYea!! :cheers

I disagree. I think there's been a lot of good progress since a horribly/sloppy first week or so. The offense has looked MUCH better. Pods, Thome, Konerko, A.J., Anderson and Crede are all hitting over .300. Dye is hitting .278 with 5 HRs. Uribe is having a solid all-around spring. The only starter that hasn't looked good is Gooch. Even the reserves have all been good. Mack is hitting .316. Gload is hitting .377. Cintron, in limited action, is hitting .400. Ozuna is hitting .353. Widger has 3 HRs.

The starters have all been solid. Buehrle is Buehrle. Contreras has been good. Except for maybe one start, Garland has looked great. Vazquez and Garcia have both looked good in their limited time.

The bullpen has been up and down. Boone 'Mariano Rivera' Logan has been fantastic. Politte, who got off to a rough start, has settled in. Cotts has been solid. Bmac and Jenks have been inconsistent. I won't worry about those two until the regular season. And, of course, there's Matt Thornton. :D

All in all, I feel pretty good going into Sunday's game. I just hope Pods is healthy and ready to go. If not Sunday--soon.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 01:26 AM)
I disagree.  I think there's been a lot of good progress since a horribly/sloppy first week or so.  The offense has looked MUCH better.  Pods,  Thome,  Konerko,  A.J.,  Anderson and Crede are all hitting over .300.  Dye is hitting .278 with 5 HRs.  Uribe is having a solid all-around spring.  The only starter that hasn't looked good is Gooch.  Even the reserves have all been good.  Mack is hitting .316.  Gload is hitting .377.  Cintron,  in limited action,  is hitting .400.  Ozuna is hitting .353.  Widger has 3 HRs.

The starters have all been solid.  Buehrle is Buehrle.  Contreras has been good.  Except for maybe one start,  Garland has looked great.  Vazquez and Garcia have both looked good in their limited time.

The bullpen has been up and down.  Boone 'Mariano Rivera' Logan has been fantastic.  Politte,  who got off to a rough start,  has settled in.  Cotts has been solid.  Bmac and Jenks have been inconsistent.  I won't worry about those two until the regular season.  And,  of course,  there's Matt Thornton. :D

All in all,  I feel pretty good going into Sunday's game.  I just hope Pods is healthy and ready to go.  If not Sunday--soon.

I agree.

In 2005 the Sox were 14-18 in ST, but this year is much different. The Sox have thrown out a lot of different pitchers with Vazquez and Garcia in the WBC, and the others vying for the final roster spots.

As of late, Thome has started to hit some HR's and Anderson has looked great at the plate. The only player that has been struggling is Gooch, and with Cintron and Ozuna both hitting well, that is not much of a concern.

The biggest concern is the bullpen, and even that is not that big of a problem when you have 5 starters with 200IP capabilities, and a 6th starter out of the pen in long relief. With the improved offense, there will also be less pressure on the pitching to win the games by pitching mistake free baseball.

QUOTE(SoxRock05 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
I know that we are still in ST...but are we going to be able to start winning games with a snap of a finger?
The White Sox, or any baseball team in history, can not win games with a snap of a finger. The line between winning and losing in baseball is very fine, every game is a battle. The White Sox will have to 'bring it' and compete every inning of every game in the season to be successful, and even then it is not a sure thing. If they play with their heads and their hearts, I'll take my chances.

Have you seen WHY we were losing games this spring? We were playing our minor leaguers and holding pitching auditions for significant portions of every game. For the most part the guys who are going to break camp were fine, it was the minor leaguers who lost us a ton of games.

As an established team the White Sox use spring training to audition players that may be able to help. We know what Neil Cotts, Cliff, B MAc, all 5 starters etc. can do, as well as the other 15 players that were guaranteed positions.

Ozzie Guillen uses the spring to see what the organization has as a whole that they can tap into sooner (Logan/Ozuna) or later (Jenks). Guillen and the organization have a better gauge on the talent of the organization because they get such a long and realistic look by the big league team.

This is what spring training for the WHite Sox is all about.

I saw a lot of games lost in the late innings by bad lefties and other minor league pitchers. Thome has been on fire lately and the starters have been very good. I'll worry in the middle of April if they suck, but there's no reason to worry yet.

If you want to see the full impact of wins and losses in spring training, check out the Marlins record this spring. Then tell me how well they're gonna do this year.

As for the individual performances, I'm not exactly sure what kind of progress you are looking for, cause most of the guys coming north are progressing quite well. Yes, there are some things to be concerned about, and that goes for every team. But for your sanity, I suggest that you don't put to much stock into what happens in these games.

By the way, the Indians win the division in Major League. You should probably find a better way to hex them.