Sox v. Kansas City, 4/7/06, Garland v. Affeldt

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
Today is Sunday?  Well, we are playing the Royals.  Day game tomorrow, so I see why Widger's playing.  Dye is hurt.  So the only question mark is Pods - He hasn't really looked 100% anyway.

:gosox1:  :gosox2:  :gosoxretro:  :gosox4:  :gosox3:

Pods is 0-13 and a lefty is on the mound. Ozuna is probably the better bet. Its really too bad the Sox couldn't win Wednesday. It would have been demoralizing to Cleveland had the Sox leadoff man and clean-up hitter go a combined 1-26 and the Sox still took 2 out of 3.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a win tonight in a big way. If we recall last year, the Sox were amazing at avoiding three game losing streaks. I wanna say they never lost three straight until they lost 7 (or was it 8?) straight last August. It may only be April 7, but let's not set a precedent here by losing three straight.

Garland's going 7+ tonight.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
afeldt is gonna s*** his pants when he looks up in teh 3rd innign when he sees "Due up Widger, Mackowiak, Anderson, Ozuna"

he might think he's pitching against the heart of an intrasquad lineup.

It would have been demoralizing to Cleveland had the Sox leadoff man and clean-up hitter go a combined 1-26 and the Sox still took 2 out of 3.

I don't think Cleveland is the type of team that'd get demoralized with the season just three games in.

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
We need a win tonight in a big way.  If we recall last year, the Sox were amazing at avoiding three game losing streaks.  I wanna say they never lost three straight until they lost 7 (or was it 8?) straight last August.  It may only be April 7, but let's not set a precedent here by losing three straight.

Garland's going 7+ tonight.

I hope you're right. The game I saw Garland pitch in Tucson, he got pummelled. Then he got pummelled by minor leaguers his next outing. Hopefully it was the thin Arizona air and/or a dead arm period. If his sinker is working, he should be fine.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
I don't think Cleveland is the type of team that'd get demoralized with the season just three games in.

It amazes me how much stock people seem to put in the first couple of games of the season. The season isn't won or loss due to one poorly executed game on the first Wednesday of the season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
It amazes me how much stock people seem to put in the first couple of games of the season.  The season isn't won or loss due to one poorly executed game on the first Wednesday of the season.

The season isn't won or lost, but what I was getting at was the players goal is to win series. Cleveland winning the series was a huge boost to their mental being. The Sox had a ton of distractions, so really its no skin off their back. I was saying if Cleveland lost it may become a situation like the Sox and Minnesota a couple of years ago when the Sox just couldn't beat them. What was the Cleveland vs. White Sox head to head last year?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
The season isn't won or lost, but what I was getting at was the players goal is to win series. Cleveland winning the series was a huge boost to their mental being. The Sox had a ton of distractions, so really its no skin off their back. I was saying if Cleveland lost it may become a situation like the Sox and Minnesota a couple of years ago when the Sox just couldn't beat them. What was the Cleveland vs. White Sox head to head last year?

I think the vital thing, from a Cleveland point of view, was being able to win a one-run game vs the Sox.