Not going to panic yet, but something bothers me

aboz56

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Here's the biggest problem with our bullpen....some of the guys who are supposed to be our prime performers (Politte and Jenks) have not looked good at all this year.  If those guys both underperform this year, the Sox have no chance.

This should also apply to Garland and Garcia, who gave us nothing in their 2 starts.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
Shields has thrown a lot of innings the past few years, he's not someone to target.

It'll be hard to pull off any trades anytime soon since its so damn early in the year.

I think we should get Logan back in the minors and then rarely use Thornton.  Although neither looked good in ST, I think both Tracey and Redding would be better than Logan.

I am still at a loss of words as to how Logan went from A ball to the majors just because he had a good spring training.  Just a bad, bad move.

I knew we'd miss Marte and Viz and I wrote it in my first column.  It's holding true so far.

I didn't realize that Shields will be 31 in July. That means lots of minor-league innings under his belt. Hmmm. If Clemens decides to not re-join the Astros, it might be possible to get Lidge and Qualls for Garcia and Politte, moving Jenks into Cliff's spot and B-Mac into the rotation. Eh, I don't know...

Agreed that if there is a big trade, it won't happen until late June or July. Also agreed that Logan and Thornton shouldn't be here. The only reason they are is that we're desperate.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
This should also apply to Garland and Garcia, who gave us nothing in their 2 starts.

To Garland's credit his velocity was around its usual range. Although he didn't pitch well, the two defensive gaffes behind him certaintly made it more difficult (IMO) to judge his performance on its own rite.

Garcia, however, appeared to be in Spring Training form with a flat fastball rarely touching the high 80's. What's difficult to accept is we may have to endure Garcia-light for several starts until his velocity gradually improves. This could mean several more embarrassing losses. If his velocity doesn't return, then there's a huge problem.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Last year, this team was hungry. Judging by Jenks and Garcia's body, they're definitely not hungry now.

I never did understand how little our starters seemed to play in ST. I don't recall seeing AJP play once in the games that I watched. Hopefully, Ozzie will stop with the one-liners in the media, and sit down with KW and his coaches to adjust to the 2006 team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
It's this simple...our relief core was our biggest concern all Spring Training, and they're 0-2 so far this year in close games.

2 blown eighth inning leads. Plus Garland blows a 6 run lead, albeit because Ozuna apparently needs more experience in the outfield to catch a flyball. This is all in 5 games. If that doesn't tell you it isn't 2005 anymore, nothing will.

Going into last season, KW made the bullpen a point of emphasis. With an increased budget, he pretty much ignored it this offseason other than to sign a gazillion minor league free agents, who showed why they had that status in spring training. Its hard to draw any conclusions after 5 games, but it obviously has started out worse than even the most pessimistic would have imagined.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Going into last season, KW made the bullpen a point of emphasis. With an increased budget, he pretty much ignored it this offseason other than to sign a gazillion minor league free agents, who showed why they had that status in spring training. Its hard to draw any conclusions after 5 games, but it obviously has started out worse than even the most pessimistic would have imagined.

I remember this being disucssed in a thread during the third week of ST. I was one of the "don't worry, the bullpen will be OK" crowd. Pass the salt, I have some crow to eat. :puke

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
I remember this being disucssed in a thread during the third week of ST.  I was one of the "don't worry, the bullpen will be OK" crowd.  Pass the salt, I have some crow to eat.  :puke

Well, you shouldn't have believed they would simply "turn it on" once the season begun. :)

According to some, Jenks would gain nearly 6 mph on his fastball through the course of one week because, apparently, when the season begins there's a switch he could have flipped.

Waiting game: Although Guillen gave a much improved health update in regard to the knot in Jermaine Dye's left calf, there's a chance the White Sox right fielder won't be back in the starting lineup until Wednesday in Detroit.

"If he doesn't play [sunday], yes," said Guillen of the possibility of resting Dye through Tuesday's off-day. "If he doesn't feel real good tomorrow, the extra day off will give me another day to have him recover better.

"I always like, when a guy is ready, to give him another day to see how he feels. If he doesn't play tomorrow, we might give him that extra day with the day off Tuesday to make sure he's 100 percent ready."

More Mack in right. Our pitching better shut out the Royals tomorrow.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
2 blown eighth inning leads. Plus Garland blows a 6 run lead, albeit because Ozuna apparently needs more experience in the outfield to catch a flyball. This is all in 5 games. If that doesn't tell you it isn't 2005 anymore, nothing will.

Maybe the Sox should carry a natural OFer on their bench. Most OFer's with a lot of experience would have vaught that wind blown ball yesterday.

Bob

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
I remember this being disucssed in a thread during the third week of ST.  I was one of the "don't worry, the bullpen will be OK" crowd.  Pass the salt, I have some crow to eat.  :puke

I for one am still holding my ground. This bullpen is better than what we've seen thus far, and in fact, so is the entire pitching staff.

I'll give you an example. With Politte on the mound today against Sweeney, every pitch was on the outer half. Never came inside really once, even just to knock him back. Now, here's my question...who called for those pitches? Clifford wasn't shaking AJ off...but AJ was looking into the dugout before putting down the signs.

You throw Sweeney pitches in the same spot and eventually he's going to find one. I think we almost asked for that one just based on the pitches we called for.

Our bullpen will be better than it is right now, as will our starters. MB was beaten by Perez on a good slider inside, IMO. J.C. had 1 bad inning. Garland wasn't sharp, but he wasn't helped by his defense. Garcia, well, he was totally off. Vazquez was pretty darn good. Politte wasn't throwing terrible pitches today, he just didn't throw the right pitches. Logan has had 1 bad at-bat and a couple of pretty good ones. McCarthy has been dominant as all hell. And we've still hardly needed Jenks at all.

We are still going to be better than what we've already seen.

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 06:53 PM)
This is still a team that will win over 100 games this season. There is no need to start panicking after 4. Lets not get crazy!

:gosox1:

I really wish the search function was available for members that have joined in the past year. None of you would believe the person I quoted is the real Poppy.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
We are still going to be better than what we've already seen.

I agree. The question is: How much better?

A lot of things have to go right to win a championship. A number of guys are going to have to step up to make up for the fact that Garland, Cotts, Politte, and Hermanson aren't going to put up the same numbers as last year.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
I agree.  The question is:  How much better?

A lot of things have to go right to win a championship.  A number of guys are going to have to step up to make up for the fact that Garland, Cotts, Politte, and Hermanson aren't going to put up the same numbers as last year.

I see no reason at all why Cotts and Garland cannot put up numbers equal to, or in JG's case, better, than what they did last season. Especially Garland.