Mike Sweeney

southsideirish71

Career vs the sox.

In 110 games he has a .322BA with a .395 OBP with .602 slugging for a .996 OPS. He has crushed 28 dongs(most against any team) and has 90 RBI or almost 1 rbi per game against us. Maybe we should pick another poison to beat us. We have only IBB him 3 times in his career.

Here are some other splits

Buerhle he has a .353 BA with a 1.147 OPS

Garcia he has a .435BA with a 1.1317 OPS

Garland he has a .341BA with a 1.189 OPS

The Count has shut him down with a .250BA and a .641 OPS

From the Relief group.

Politte came into today with a .429 BA and a 1.587 OPS

Jenks he only faced 4 times but has a .750BA with a 1.750 OPS

He pretty much is like facing Barry Bonds everytime we face him when you look at these sick numbers. Hopefully Ozzie and the staff will pick someone else to beat us, because pretty much Mike is as good as it gets when he faces the sox.

Hopefully we pretty much give him nothing to hit tomorrow.

Edited by southsideirish71

As soon as Grudz got that single to lead off the 8th, I knew we were going to wind up losing that game 4-3. I wasn't online to say it (the fiancee was using the computer), but I sat there on the couch & said that one of those pitches was leaving the park.

If it wasn't for Sweeney, we might have lost 2 games to the Royals in the last 2 years.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
he is nasty against us

walk him

Walk him and put the tying run on second and the go-ahead run on first? To face Sanders? :banghead

Politte executes (ie doesn't hang a changeup/slider), and we're talking about a 3-2 win.

Well, there is some type of conspiracy in Carbondale to not let me watch sox games. Yesterday my mlb.tv wouldn't work and today wgn was out :angry: So, I had to watch the damn thing on gameday and right when sweeney came up I said to a friend "this game is going to be at least tied." I didn't see the pitch obviously but Mike is just unbelievable against us.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Politte executes (ie doesn't hang a changeup/slider), and we're talking about a 3-2 win.

Politte threw a slider that was three inches off the outside corner and Sweeney still managed to hook it. You really can't blame Cliff, he threw a pretty good slider there, Sweeney just hit an unbelievable homer.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)
See, Cerb, I thought it was on the outside half of the plate, but I didn't think it was off the plate.  I'll have to see the replay again...

I think it was right around the outside corner. Sweeney really did have to stretch to get wood on the thing. It was a hell of a swing.

The one thing Sweeney did have working for him is that everything Cliff threw that AB was on the outer half, so he was looking in the right spot, but AJ was also looking to the dugout a lot, so I don't know who exactly to blame for the pitch selection.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
FWIW- The highlight of Sundays game was Bobby Jenks dusting off Sweeney in the bottom of the 9th inning at about 97 mph.  It should have been done a long time ago.

You know, when that happened I thought Sweeney was hurt, and I still do. When he landed, he REALLY arched his back and the look on his face was "That was NOT good". He puts so much pressure and torque on his back when he swings, I think that if he actually did hurt himself in that AB it will come out sooner or later. Its really too bad, if Sweeney actually could have stayed healthy for his career then KCs fortunes throughout the latter half of the 90's could have been drastically different.

Nobody is more of a Sox killer than Sweeney. Good point.

I've seen him trash us more than a few times and he's like our bete noire.

The only other guy I remember sticking it to us like that is that left fielder from Texas who looks like Dr. Evil.

If Cliff Polite throws 1 pitch inside, JUST ONE!!!, there's no way Sweeney homers. Cliff was on the outside corner the whole time, Sweeney cheated and hit it out. I just hope Polite reads this message board!

Edited by striker62704

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
If Cliff Polite throws 1 pitch inside, JUST ONE!!!, there's no way Sweeney homers. Cliff was on the outside corner the whole time, Sweeney cheated and hit it out. I just hope Polite reads this message board!

Most of those pitches were called from the dugout. AJ was looking over to get the signs that AB before each pitch.