Did Jenks lose weight?

SSH2005

He looks good in that picture, but didn't look much slimmer on the mound today IMO. I can't imagine that he lost more than 5 or 10 lbs. since spring training.

If he throws strikes, gets command of his breaking pitch, and hits the upper 90s on the gun like he did today, he can look like Jabba the Hut for all I care.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but while he gave up a HR and Crede had to make a couple great plays, Jenks was throwing gas. Was clocked as high as 100. It just looks like he's got a bit to go with his breaking ball.

He's looking better though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but while he gave up a HR and Crede had to make a couple great plays, Jenks was throwing gas.  Was clocked as high as 100.  It just looks like he's got a bit to go with his breaking ball.

He's looking better though.

The velocity was there. And that's a start.

Take it for what it's worth, but, Hawk said Jenks was consistently hitting triple-digits in the pen the past couple of days.

He was up to 99 on the Comcast gun, and supposedly on the stadium gun also, a couple times today. He had only 1 fastball that fell below 97 that i saw.

And he also was firing that slider up there at 91. Man, a 91 mph slider...you combine that with that 99 fastball, and nobody's going to be hitting htis guy.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
He was up to 99 on the Comcast gun, and supposedly on the stadium gun also, a couple times today.  He had only 1 fastball that fell below 97 that i saw.

And he also was firing that slider up there at 91.  Man, a 91 mph slider...you combine that with that 99 fastball, and nobody's going to be hitting htis guy.

He hit 100 on the comcast gun once and Hawk mentioned he hit 100 on the stadium gun either once or twice. And as Addy said they also brought up how he was throwing in the 3 digit range in his last few pen sessions.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
He's always been a fat guy and always will be.

From the older pictures I've seen of him, he was significantly smaller in the minors. That said, I'm not terribly concerned about his weight, either.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
From the older pictures I've seen of him, he was significantly smaller in the minors.  That said, I'm not terribly concerned about his weight, either.

Not much older even. 2 years ago he looked about half what he is now. The alcohol contributed a lot to the weight gain, IMO.

For whatever it's worth, when I was in KC last week and watching them all walk out (pre-game I stood in the outfield seats and watched Garland and Widger play long-toss) Jenks didn't look as big as I remember. As in, he didn't stick out right away from a distance where you could say: that's him!

Anyway, yes it is great news that Jenks' velocity is back. Bring the heat, baby!

Now, if Freddie could do the same thing...

:gosox2: