April 10: White Sox @ Tigers Game Thread

Wedge

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
Yes, but all but one of those LOOGY's are not in baseball at the moment I believe, and none of them made a major league roster at all.  Not exactly elite competition.  The guy is a decent lefty, probably better than the 2005 Marte, but hes still the last arm out of the pen.

I trust Boone more than Thornton. Certainly more than Marte.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Bobby still only hitting 96 per CBS

He had one at 99, but in general his FB looked good and that hook that he got Guillen to ground to Paulie may have been the best hook he's thrown all year.

After falling behind 2-0 to Shelton, Jenks threw almost all strikes (if not all strikes) and was unhittable. Looked really good.

Garcia pitched a lot better (his velocity was back where it should be in the 93-94 range from time to time), Bmac was great, Crede looked fantastic again (in the field and with that HR), Konerko looked good today and Thome hit another BOMB.

Pods looked god awful at the plate and in the field.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
props to Jenks.

that's the best he's looked since October.

Nice win.

That is exactly why Jenks was the right guy pitching...keep getting him in there, we're going to need him to get on a roll. And not a crescent roll or anything like that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
Yes, but all but one of those LOOGY's are not in baseball at the moment I believe, and none of them made a major league roster at all.  Not exactly elite competition.  The guy is a decent lefty, probably better than the 2005 Marte, but hes still the last arm out of the pen.

I don't nkow about that. Thornton seems best suited for our long inning role (especially as McCarthy starts getting used more and more as a 7th-8th inning swing man (who can and will go 2 innings, sometimes 3).

Logan is probably that guy we'd go for just one batter. I don't see us doing that with Thornton. However both still need to prove themselves and Ozzie will give them opportunities to do so, until he's seen enough (whether good or bad) to make up his mind on whether they are major leaguers or not.

If they aren't, I'd expect you'd see him tell Kenny and a move will eventually be made. For those of you that don't expect to see Logan or Thornton in games we are winning, well be prepared to be mad cause Ozzie is going to use them. Sure they are more likely to appear in a total blowout than a close game, but they'll be used in close games and I think Ozzie and Kenny are hoping at least one of them pans out and be a guy that can be counted on a bit.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
He had one at 99, but in general his FB looked good and that hook that he got Guillen to ground to Paulie may have been the best hook he's thrown all year.

After falling behind 2-0 to Shelton, Jenks threw almost all strikes (if not all strikes) and was unhittable. Looked really good. 

Garcia pitched a lot better (his velocity was back where it should be in the 93-94 range from time to time), Bmac was great, Crede looked fantastic again (in the field and with that HR), Konerko looked good today and Thome hit another BOMB. 

Pods looked god awful at the plate and in the field.

If Bobby is going to throw strikes 96 is enough even though he's going to throw harder. I don't care how hard he's throwing if he's throwing strikes and dropping that nasty hook, he does that and he's be absolutely fine.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
I don't nkow about that.  Thornton seems best suited for our long inning role (especially as McCarthy starts getting used more and more as a 7th-8th inning swing man (who can and will go 2 innings, sometimes 3). 

Logan is probably that guy we'd go for just one batter.  I don't see us doing that with Thornton.  However both still need to prove themselves and Ozzie will give them opportunities to do so, until he's seen enough (whether good or bad) to make up his mind on whether they are major leaguers or not.

If they aren't, I'd expect you'd see him tell Kenny and a move will eventually be made.  For those of you that don't expect to see Logan or Thornton in games we are winning, well be prepared to be mad cause Ozzie is going to use them.  Sure they are more likely to appear in a total blowout than a close game, but they'll be used in close games and I think Ozzie and Kenny are hoping at least one of them pans out and be a guy that can be counted on a bit.

I remember everyone was asking for Ozzie's head in 2004 when he kept running Koch out there in save situations. It was painful to watch and cost the Sox a few games but it didn't take long to expose the huge hole and Billy K was dealt.

My guess is he will be more careful here but he is still going to use Logan/Politte/Thorton in their respective roles to see if they can cut it. If not, Kenny will have to get busy on the phones. If Guillen gets too cute and goes to the reliable horses too often, the entire bullpen will be shot and the Sox won't have a chance in September/October anyway. I'd rather they expose the weaknesses now and see if they can right the ship before the entire bullpen is wasted. Assuming they are in the mix, I would guess the Sox will have one less Loogy in the pen by August 1.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
If Bobby is going to throw strikes 96 is enough even though he's going to throw harder.  I don't care how hard he's throwing if he's throwing strikes and dropping that nasty hook, he does that and he's be absolutely fine.

Exactly, plus his velocity is fine. If he needed to today he could have reached back and threw a FB 98 right by someone upstairs. He was just fine. Guys that throw 98 don't have to throw it every pitch, just use it at the right time.

Plus I tend to think you may see a guy like Tyler Lumsden find his way into this pen in September and they'll find a way to potentially sneak him onto the playoff roster if he pitches like he can.

He is our 2nd best lefty reliever candidate (aside from Cotts). But he'll be getting his licks in the minors since he's still very raw and missed all of last year.

Well I shouldn't say raw, but he missed all of last year and until this season hasn't pitched higher than High A.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
If Bobby is going to throw strikes 96 is enough even though he's going to throw harder.  I don't care how hard he's throwing if he's throwing strikes and dropping that nasty hook, he does that and he's be absolutely fine.

If Bobby could throw that hook for a strike 75% of the time (he's about 30-40% right now), he could throw 90 and be the best closer in baseball. That hook is the most ridiculous thing around. But right now opposing hitters know they don't have to swing at it. So if he gets it over with 2 strikes, it's an out.

I actually think he should stop throwing the 90-mph slider. It's tough on the elbow and actually does a favor to hitters that can't catch up with his 99 mph fastball. Fastball, hook and a change would be nice.