Where is he now: Robin Ventura

Gregory Pratt

When he's calm, he's really, really calm; when he gets mad, he's a psycho: On September 23 after umpire Ed Montague strikes him out on a borderline pitch, Robin takes exception to what seems to be that same pitch being called a ball for the opposing team. He screams at Montague from the dugout, Montague ejects him, and instead of shutting up and leaving the scene, Robin charges out of the dugout and confronts the umpire. Jim Tracy's attempts to hold him back are unsuccessful at first, and sports fans all over are treated to the sight of baseball's Dr Jekyll turning into a frothing, raging Mr Hyde.

WTF? The guy snaps one time in LA and now he is Jekyll and Hyde? I would have to say that this was one time that Robin lost his cool, not a good example of what his temper is like when he loses it. I cannot recall Robin ever acting like this in a White Sox uniform. In fact, the only time I can remember him fighting was the infamous Nolan Ryan incident and when he got into it with Thomas in the dugout.

I heard he's still getting the s*** kicked out of him by Nolan Ryan on the weekends.

So funny I forgot to laugh.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
WTF?  The guy snaps one time in LA and now he is Jekyll and Hyde?  I would have to say that this was one time that Robin lost his cool, not a good example of what his temper is like when he loses it.  I cannot recall Robin ever acting like this in a White Sox uniform.  In fact, the only time I can remember him fighting was the infamous Nolan Ryan incident and when he got into it with Thomas in the dugout.

So funny I forgot to laugh.

Robin Ventura got into it with Frank Thomas? What happened?

Where he is now? I don't know

Where should he be? Announcing White Sox games on the radio (in place of Singleton) or on TV (in place of DJ)

I was really impressed with Ventura when he filled in last year.

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
Where he is now?  I don't know

Where should he be?  Announcing White Sox games on the radio (in place of Singleton) or on TV (in place of DJ)

I was really impressed with Ventura when he filled in last year.

I wonder if the Sox/Comcast/The Score were too cheap to pay him something respectable.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
I wonder if the Sox/Comcast/The Score were too cheap to pay him something respectable.

Robin said he's not interested in doing any broadcasting or baseball coaching right now. He's very happy as a girls high school basketball coach.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
robin is my favorite player of all time, i dont care where they put him in the organization, just hire him!

When I was a kid I would try to bare hand the ball and throw it to 1st while going to the groung, and while most kids wore 23 because of Jordan I did it because of Ventura. I still remember when he hit those 2 grandslams in one game.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
He and Blackjack were both pretty good filling in for Hawk last year. Would've liked to see Robin around the team during the playoffs last year.

Well, he was back. If you watch closely, in the 8th inning of game 1 of the World Series, after Pods tripled (but did not score) they show a girl cheering in the stands. Sitting right in front of her, clapping, is Robin. Plus, he caught the first ball from Bo Jackson prior to game 2.

I envision Ozzie bringing Robin back as a coach in the not too distant future.