The world has ended for my daugher

Texsox

She just received her first B. After 9 years of all As, she ran into a teacher from hell, and pulled a B. It is mostly her fault, but can dad tell her that? Noooooooo. I tried talking to her bedroom door, but the door doesn't seem to be to receptive right now. I also know she received a high A the first 6 weeks and will finish the semester with an A, but she doesn't want to hear that either.

Ahhh over achieving, type A, personalities.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Bad dad. This would not have happened if you did her homework for her..  ;)

She would have gotten that first B a looooong time ago. :D

She is heading to the International Baccalaureate programnext year, so I hope she learns to adjust her thinking on grades.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
zing!

aw,  i didn't know juggernaut got banned...  :o

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showuser=463

I didnt either. It happened rather quietly(or at least I didnt read any threads mentioning it) a few months ago.

Bad dad. This would not have happened if you did her homework for her..

LMAO

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
I didnt either.  It happened rather quietly(or at least I didnt read any threads mentioning it) a few months ago.

LMAO

We do our best to do things quietly. We feel its a disservice to those that are banned if we go around announcing it. At the same time we feel it is uncessary and rude for people to publicly vent for a banning or suspension. Thats always best handled via PM's.

It would be like a player whose mad at an ump to go grab the microphone and vent to the whole world instead of going off and arguing with the ump.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
We do our best to do things quietly.  We feel its a disservice to those that are banned if we go around announcing it.  At the same time we feel it is uncessary and rude for people to publicly vent for a banning or suspension.  Thats always best handled via PM's. 

It would be like a player whose mad at an ump to go grab the microphone and vent to the whole world instead of going off and arguing with the ump.

Oh I totally agree with that. I was just kind of surprised because Soxtalk has a quick and loud grapevine. Usually you hear from somebody that it happened. And IIRC, he was banned shortly after the infamous "Should Juggs be banned" poll, so I was curious if he actually blew a fuse. Ah well, no big deal. Its not like I need him questioning my life in a roundabout way anymore.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 06:45 AM)
Oh I totally agree with that.  I was just kind of surprised because Soxtalk has a quick and loud grapevine.  Usually you hear from somebody that it happened.  And IIRC, he was banned shortly after the infamous "Should Juggs be banned" poll, so I was curious if he actually blew a fuse.  Ah well, no big deal.  Its not like I need him questioning my life in a roundabout way anymore.

The poll had nothing to do with the decision.

In general, I am usually the Patron Saint of Lost Causes. There is always healthy discussions with several differing opinions before any action is taken. It is probably as fair a shake as anyone could ever hope to get in real life.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
The poll had nothing to do with the decision.

In general, I am usually the Patron Saint of Lost Causes. There is always healthy discussions with several differing opinions before any action is taken. It is probably as fair a shake as anyone could ever hope to get in real life.

Well now I know who to PM when I am in hot water ;)

I know Juggs got his fair shake. It wasnt anyones fault but his own that he chose to present his faith in a questioning manner so he could cause an argument that he would never lose. Its a shame that his intelligence is wasted in such a close-minded manner, but he used to fire up even the mildest of posters with his condescending threads.

And then in the palehose threads he would pull stats and arguments out of nowhere that would make me say "Holy s***! I didnt know that!". Its too bad he couldnt be just a fan.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 07:26 AM)
Well now I know who to PM when I am in hot water ;)

Everyone else does. :)

With so many different personalities and posting styles, it is a tough job to be fair to everyone. BTW, IMHO, it isn't fair to treat everyone equally. Someone who has been posting here for a couple years, has a thousand posts, and happens to go off on someone, is treated differently than someone with a couple hundred posts and this is their third time in trouble.

I guess with over 3,000 screen names created and millions of posts here, and a plethora of new sites, Jason and his crew must be doing something right, which in many cases means ignoring the Patron Saint of Lost Causes, me :D :cheers

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:07 AM)
I didn't learn to get used to B's until graduate school.

I don't think she will either. I just hope she now understands it isn't the end of the world, that teachers and her friends still like her. She believed that if she received a B, teachers would be mad at her.

It is amazing to see the same competitive drive that I had for athletics being used in the classroom.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
I didn't learn to get used to B's until graduate school.

It's weird, I'm actually getting way better grades in this MBA program then I did in my master's degree at that "other place".

Perhaps it's because I actually find this program RELEVANT.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:23 AM)
It's weird, I'm actually getting way better grades in this MBA program then I did in my master's degree at that "other place".

Perhaps it's because I actually find this program RELEVANT.

Maturity also comes into play. Prioroties. Time Management. Picking study groups based on needs and abilities, not who's hot and which bar they hang out at.