Anderson not first to get off so slowly

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Anderson not first to get off so slowly

By Dave van Dyck

Tribune staff reporter

It may not be any easier for White Sox rookie center fielder Brian Anderson as he sits on the bench and ponders his future for the next few days, but two of Chicago's best recent players had even worse career starts than his .

Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg began his career in 1982 in a 1-for-32 funk and White Sox third baseman Robin Ventura started 0-for-41 in 1990.

By comparison, Anderson's 4-for-31 start looks like All-Star stuff. But it was not enough to keep him from being benched Saturday, one day after he left nine runners on base by striking out with the bases loaded the first time up and grounding into a double play with the bases loaded in his second at-bat.

With nothing but right-handed starters the next few days, Anderson's benching could drag on for a while.

"I have to figure it out in the next couple of days," manager Ozzie Guillen said.

Rob Mackowiak started Saturday and will get the nod at least for Sunday.

"[brian's] going to fight the same battle every young player fights," hitting coach Greg Walker said. "He has to prove to himself he can play in this league. Nobody wants to get off to a bad start, especially young kids. What happens is they try to do too much, get anxious and start pressing if they don't have immediate success."

Compounding Anderson's rookie problems is the memory of the man he replaced, the popular Aaron Rowand, one of the reasons he was booed Friday night. Forgotten is Rowand hit only .233 last April with seven RBIs. Anderson has two RBIs.

"Most guys the first year, they panic and a lot of things go through your mind," Guillen said. "I told him to just relax; you're here for a reason."

That's easy for Guillen to say.

"When you're talking about a kid trying to make his mark … [he needs] to control his anxiety and accept singles and let it go from there," Walker said.

Anderson is trying.

"I try to keep a positive attitude because that's the way I am," he said.

Walker and Guillen were Sox players when Ventura broke in.

"[Hitting coach] Walt Hriniak told me they were going to send [Ventura] down and he said, 'Give me another week, give me another week with him.' And he took off," Walker recalled.

Ventura finished that 1990 season with 123 hits, the most for a Sox rookie since Guillen's 134 in 1985.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Its not like Mackowiak has really been better with the bat...maybe I should go double check and see for sure but whenever I see him he is getting out.

Anderson: .129/.206/.194 3:13 BB:K

Mackowiak: .136/.240/.136 2:7 BB:K

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
I have a question. How many people here (and be truthful here) realistically expected Brian Anderson to come in and produce like Jeff Francouer did when he came up for the Braves last season?

Personally, I thought he'd be able to come close to matching Rowand's numbers from last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
Personally, I thought he'd be able to come close to matching Rowand's numbers from last year.

And I still think he can. But I think it's just unfair that people are already practically giving up on him, and comparing him to Corey Patterson. We've only played in 11 games so far.

Rookies are gonna hit bumps in the road, and that's a fact of life. Let's hope Anderson's hitting his major one right now, and that he can get things sorted out, and become the hitter people expect him to.

I was expecting Anderson to hit in the .240's or .250's, which is still probably where he'll end up. I don't know why everyone is getting all upset that he's struggled so far.. he's a rookie, this is expected. He isn't the next Joe Borchard, so keep your pants on people. It might take this year or so, but he'll come around.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
And I still think he can. But I think it's just unfair that people are already practically giving up on him, and comparing him to Corey Patterson. We've only played in 11 games so far.

Rookies are gonna hit bumps in the road, and that's a fact of life. Let's hope Anderson's hitting his major one right now, and that he can get things sorted out, and become the hitter people expect him to.

I think it would be a lot easier to accept Anderson's struggles right now if Pods could actually do something. Instead, we've had far too many games where the 9/1 is an automatic 2 outs. It's too bad that Mackowiak is swinging the bat well, as that would at least give us some production from CF. The most concering thing, IMO, with Anderson is that he just isn't hitting the ball well (same with Pods).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)

I think it's fair for me to compare him to Patterson until he starts putting up good numbers. Patterson was solid in the outfield and abysmal at the plate. Anderson strikes out like it's going out of fashion and strands runners like they've got nowhere to go. I do hope he comes around, but until he does...

...K is for Anderson.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 12:48 AM)
He isn't the next Joe Borchard,

And this is the key thing here. Anderson's plate discipline needs improvement, yes, but it's not on Joe Borchard's level.

Looking at Anderson's minor league stats would tell you that.

I thought he would tear it up right out of the gate because of his extreme confidence and raw skills. After 11 games, something like .412 avg, 2 hr and 7 rbi. And then he would settle into a .289 season avg with 17 hr and 74 rbi.

But there is still time to salvage his season...

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
I think it would be a lot easier to accept Anderson's struggles right now if Pods could actually do something.  Instead, we've had far too many games where the 9/1 is an automatic 2 outs.  It's too bad that Mackowiak is swinging the bat well, as that would at least give us some production from CF.  The most concering thing, IMO, with Anderson is that he just isn't hitting the ball well (same with Pods).

It's not just that he isn't hitting it well. It's that he's striking out twice a game with the bases loaded. Pods after him is a problem, too.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
I think it's fair for me to compare him to Patterson until he starts putting up good numbers. Patterson was solid in the outfield and abysmal at the plate. Anderson strikes out like it's going out of fashion and strands runners like they've got nowhere to go. I do hope he comes around, but until he does...

...K is for Anderson.

Patterson also had 4 years to back up that theory. Anderson's had 11 games so far this season.

All I'm saying, is that the Brian Anderson you're seeing now, is not the Brian Anderson you're going to see at the end of the season. Give him time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
Just one more thing....I think the 2 home run game against Felix raised his expectations with many fans to unreasonable levels.

I think that's a pretty fair comment right now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
Patterson also had 4 years to back up that theory. Anderson's had 11 games so far this season.

All I'm saying, is that the Brian Anderson you're seeing now, is not the Brian Anderson you're going to see at the end of the season. Give him time.

He can have the time. I don't make the f***ing roster, as Ozzie Guillen would tell me, after all. I just have no problem calling him Korey until he proves me wrong, because my hopes aren't particularly high for him.

I'm not surprised Anderson is struggling. This is basically a repeat of last September's performance. It's going to take him time.

The problem is magnified because he's not the only automatic out in the lineup. Podsednik behind him is hitting even worse, probably because he didn't have a spring training. And Mackowiak also stinks right now in reserve. (Plus Uribe is below the Mendoza line.)

Realistically, Anderson should only start 3-4 days a week, plus be a late inning defensive replacement, until he can prove by performance that he deserves more time. Mackowiak should get the other starts for the foreseeable future, maybe even for the whole seaaon.

The only thing that surprises me is that Ozzie doesn't seem to ask Anderson to bunt, at least in the few games I've watched. Given his strike out numbers, he needs to bunt runners over, and learn to cut down on his swing with two strikes.

As an aside, I think we're going to find in the long run that Kenny Williams kept the wrong outfielder. Chris Young is more likely to become a star than Brian Anderson. He has stolen base speed and he has an eye for the strike zone, walking tons more than Anderson ever has. Anderson can become a good player; I just don't expect him to ever be a great player. (BTW - I'm not suggesting we not do the Vazquez trade.)

I'm giving him a shot, but come mid-May if he is still scuffling like this, it may be time to give someone else a shot.

Sorry BA.

He hasn't really impressed me in CF to this point either. Misplayed a few balls from what I've seen and the only game I haven't watched was on Friday night.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
Its not like Mackowiak has really been better with the bat...maybe I should go double check and see for sure but whenever I see him he is getting out.

Your Correct... Ozzie keep playing the Kid.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
He hasn't really impressed me in CF to this point either.  Misplayed a few balls from what I've seen and the only game I haven't watched was on Friday night.

I haven't seen any real problem with his defense. I thought he made some good reads in Detroit and showed that he can cover a lot of ground. But it's tough to judge outfielders on TV.

Meanwhile, Mackowiac is not playing any better than BA. Which is a blessing for Anderson because it means Ozzie won't question whether to play him. Unlike Pods, who is not playing as well as Ozuna.

Let's hope it all evens out and Anderson and Pods get this going.

Anderson doesn't have a naturally pretty swing so he's going to have to be confident so he's out there being his agressive self. He's very tentative right now and its killing him.

We all know I despise his swing and I've always been a little down on him as a prospect (as opposed to some) but I've never denied the talent is there. I really hope he can develop becuase he's the type of person Sox fans love (think Arow in a sense).