Arizona proposing illegal immigrant crackdown.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again Helping out Nuke. I feel so dirty.

Lawmakers in Arizona, a fast-growing border state that is the biggest U.S. entry point for illegal immigrants, called for a crackdown on undocumented workers on Monday, as millions nationwide protested to demand new rights and respect for foreign residents.

Republican legislators prepared to introduce potentially one of the toughest state anti-immigrant proposals, a $100 million package that would deploy National Guard troops to the desert border with Mexico and use radar to track anyone trying to sneak across the border.

"I am not just going to stand by while this country is being destroyed," said state Rep. Russell Pearce, a Republican and outspoken opponent of illegal immigration.

Hundreds of people protested in Phoenix, the nation's fifth-largest city, joining millions across the United States who took to the streets and boycotted work and shops to focus the nation's attention on the contribution of an estimated 12 million undocumented workers to the economy....

He said the state needs more workers. "In certain industries, we could have even offered higher wages and still would not have been able to fill those jobs," he said.

The bill being prepared on Monday would include strict sanctions for employers who knowingly hire illegal workers.

"This is the kind of thing that the public has been saying it wants for a long time," Pearce said.

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, has already come out against parts of the package, but Republican lawmakers told Reuters they would seek to put the measure before state voters as early as November if she vetoes it.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 1, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
Destroying our country seems a bit harsh.

But otherwords, as long as they want to get tough against the companies who employ illegal workers - by all means go for it.

question...does anyone feel like this situation could be remeniscent to some small island countries protesting to have the US navy base be removed...they clammored and complained until it finally happened, and then they realized how much their economy suffered...?

QUOTE(bmags @ May 1, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
question...does anyone feel like this situation could be remeniscent to some small island countries protesting to have the US navy base be removed...they clammored and complained until it finally happened, and then they realized how much their economy suffered...?

Why is this about protecting other people's money? This is about doing what's right and we ought to make sure that anyone who does work here, does it legally so that they can do it safely and without economic exploitation.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
Why is this about protecting other people's money? This is about doing what's right and we ought to make sure that anyone who does work here, does it legally so that they can do it safely and without economic exploitation.

you missed the point of the question... (anyway for them it was being free from what they felt was a sort of empirical rule.( I mean for all the people clamoring that they leave, and then they leave and teh economy suffers. Does anyone see that a possible parallel.

it wasn't an opinion it was a question.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 1, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060501/pl_nm/...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

National guard troops to the border, crackdowns on businesses who hire illegals and a bunch of other goodies.  Im liking what they are proposing down there.

Forgive me for this, but I have to say I proposed something very similar in here months ago - troops in small groups, electronic detection, and no wall. Sounds good to me.

And I hope they get serious on the businesses that do the hiring as well.

How about a cost benefit analysis. What is this costing us, versus fixing the immigration laws? Why spend billions enforcing a law that may need to change?

Terrorists may get in? Tourism, educations, HiB Visas, all allow people to arrive in this country. If you are intent on flying planes into buildings or blowing up a building, do you really think you will need to walk across the desert to do it?

Stealing jobs?

Can we learn from our past mistakes?

On May 20, eighteen-year-old high school student Esequiel Hernandez Jr. was shot and killed near his house by the leader of a U.S. Marine Corps patrol on an anti-drug operation near the U.S.-Mexico border in Redford, Texas. Hernandez was tending goats about a mile from his home when the shooting occurred. The incident is the first time that military forces on anti-drug duty have shot and killed a U.S. citizen. After the incident, border patrol activities by the military were suspended (Thaddeus Herrick, "Marine on anti-drug duty shoots, kills student," Houston Chronicle, May 22, 1997, p. 37A; "Border Drug Patrols Are Halted After Killing," New York Times, July 11, 1997, p. A17).

MARINES SAY TEENAGER SHOT AT THEM, BUT AUTOPSY RESULTS DON'T MATCH STORY

Military officials claim Hernandez inexplicably fired his antique .22-caliber rifle twice at four Marines, and was preparing to shoot a third time when he was fatally shot in the side with an M-16 combat rifle. The soldier named in the shooting is Cpl. Clemente Banuelos. The Marine patrol was on loan to the Border Patrol from Camp Pendleton (CA), and was participating in operations under Joint Task Force-6, which runs military anti-narcotics efforts on the Border. By law, military personnel involved in domestic law enforcement are not allowed to search, seize, arrest or confront a suspect. Military involvement is strictly limited to activities such as surveillance and intelligence (10 USCA Sec. 375). Soldiers are allowed to return fire in self-defense.

Neighbors said Hernandez used his rifle to ward off coyotes, and for target practice, and suggest that is what the teenager thought he was doing if he fired any shots. "Personally, I don't think this kid ever saw them, by the indication my Rangers are telling me," said Captain Barry Caver, spokesman for the Texas Rangers, the state law enforcement agency that is investigating the killing. The Marines were heavily camouflaged, and were trained to conceal themselves so as not to be detected. The shooting appears to have taken place from a distance of 375 to 600 feet (James Pinkerton, "Ranger says Marines' account doesn't `exactly jibe,'" Houston Chronicle, May 24, 1997, p. 18A).

http://www.ndsn.org/july97/goats.html

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 2, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
Seems to me that a big ass wall would be a one time expense and the other options seem to be a perpetual expense.  Build the wall.

A wall needs maintenance, for one thing. And people will find their way over it, so you still need the human and technological elements anyway. Plus its an environmental disaster. Oh, and it will completely screw up drainage and irrigation. And what do you do along the Rio Grande? Cut off Texas from the water supply they need?

Wall = unworkable and hideously expensive.

Let's all live behind tall walls, let's place speed bumps on our highways, let's arrest drunks in bars, let's stop selling spray paint until the person has a background check, let's drug test everyone when they apply for a driver's license. There are so many crimes we can stop with a some expense and loss of our liberties.

And someone please total up the damages that illegals have caused. The terrorist acts that this would solve, the cost to governments that having illegals instead of legals performing, the costs to our society.

Then look at the possibilities in changes to our laws to match up people who need jobs with people who need them. Let's not swat mosquitoes with scud missles.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
What about deporting all of the immigrants who came over to the US in the last 200-300 years who now think they have some sort of entitlement?

That would be a great plan.

I love how you leftists lump in legal and illegal immigrants together. Immigrants in past years came here legally, registered with the government and then went about the business of helping build this country. Todays ILLEGAL immigrants come here, they collect up all they can to send back home and then take, take, and take some more from our social services.

Do you mean to tell me that it doesn't bother you in the slightest that these people come here illegally, burden our social services, cost the taxpayers BILLIONS in benefits and then they have the audacity to wave their flag around and tell us what THEY want?

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
And someone please total up the damages that illegals have caused.

How about damage to our educational system? In LA, the enrollment is 714,000 students, of which 72% are Latino. The school budget is $13.4 billion, which is about $17,000 per student. According to AP, 25% of the students didn't show up for school MOnday. If the full 25% were illegals, that would be damages to the tune of over $3 billion dollars that taxpayers are spending to educate illegal aliens. If half of that 25% is illegal, it's still over $1.5 billion. With their low p[aying jobs picking fruit, I doubt they are paying $17,000 per year in taxes to cover that expense. And then there are the hospitals going broke treating citizens of Mexico here illegally. The damages economically could vastly outweigh any benefit they provide.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 2, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
How about damage to our educational system?  In LA, the enrollment is 714,000 students, of which 72% are Latino. 

Not all Latinos are illegal immigrants. Not all Hispanic children are children of illegal immigrants.

Everyone born in the United States is a citizen.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 2, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
The damages economically could vastly outweigh any benefit they provide.

I'm eager to see that from a credible, reliable source.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 3, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
Not all Latinos are illegal immigrants.  Not all Hispanic children are children of illegal immigrants.

Everyone born in the United States is a citizen.

I'm eager to see that from a credible, reliable source.

Can you read? Did I say anywhere in my post that they were? I said if half if the 25% that missed school were illegal, the cost would be over $1.5 billion. 535,500 of the students are hispanic. 25% of those missed school that day, meaning about 134,000. If half of those, 67,000, are illegal, that is a hell of alot of money that could be used to educate Americans.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 2, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
Can you read?  Did I say anywhere in my post that they were?  I said if half if the 25% that missed school were illegal, the cost would be over $1.5 billion. 535,500 of the students are hispanic.  25% of those missed school that day, meaning about 134,000.  If half of those, 67,000, are illegal, that is a hell of alot of money that could be used to educate Americans.

Can you actually offer up any evidence that more than 0.000001% of those who walked out were actually illegal and not just joining the rally to offer support?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 3, 2006 -> 04:20 AM)
Can you actually offer up any evidence that more than 0.000001% of those who walked out were actually illegal and not just joining the rally to offer support?

Just look at the dollars per person. $17,000 per pupil. There has to be at leastone kid there who is illegal, and I would bet bottom dollar his parent(s) don't make enough to pay $17,000 in taxes to cover just that. Then you get the free lunch, some districts have free breakfast, school fees waived, etc, it adds up.