5/5: Sox vs Royals

Chisoxfn

Guest JimH
In some cases it's good to go with the lefty against the lefty. However, in this scenario with the one run game, I STRONGLY feel that it is the closer's game to lose. Therefore you put the ball in your closers hands and you let him get the three outs.

I know why he did it and I agree with him. Guiel hits righthanders really well, although I'm sure some stats guy will tell me he doesn't. Nonetheless he has great AB's vs. righthanders. He (Thornton) was blowing Guiel away. Then he threw 3 straight pitches up and out of the zone. Where was Pierzynski to get out in front of the plate or walk out there and calm him down. Not blaming it on Pierz, I blame Thornton but the only way Guiel gets on is via the walk. He was way late on Thornton's fastball. Not a damn thing wrong with the matchup IMO.

Meanwhile let's try and pull this one out of the fire.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
And once again, the 9th is muuuuch different from the 8th.  Matt did his job in the 8th, Bobby is our closer, he should get the 9th.

I agree.

And once again, the 9th is muuuuch different from the 8th.  Matt did his job in the 8th, Bobby is our closer, he should get the 9th.

Agreed. If Jenks can't face a lefty batter like Aaron freaking Guiel in the 9th, then he shouldn't be our closer. Ozzie needs to get over his lefty/lefty obsession.

I've said Nelson will be up here by the end of the month and I'm sticking to that. The guy is a proven ML talent and that is more than can be said for at least two of our current relievers.

Meanwhile, make it happen on the basepaths, Pablo.

This would be something else.

Where did I ever state that I had superior knowledge to Ozzie? He won a World Series I didn't. Am I not allowed to voice my opinion? I just said I don't like how he is OBSESSED with the lefty lefty matchup.

So I guess I have to trust you over Ozzie. Don't make me laugh!

In some cases it's good to go with the lefty against the lefty. However, in this scenario with the one run game, I STRONGLY feel that it is the closer's game to lose. Therefore you put the ball in your closers hands and you let him get the three outs.

Jenks did have three outs with only ONE man on first base. And he FAILED not Ozzie.

As for the personal attack calling me a whiner, that's fine. I don't really care what you have to say about me, but I will not lower myself to your level.

If I sounded harsh, I apologize.

Let's put this to rest. 2 out of 3 ain't bad!