Garland

Ndgt10

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 13, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
Or that we must trade for Rowand.

This boggles my mind over almost anything I have previously seen.

Whenever someone posts how we should, can, or will trade for Rowand I want to throw myself out a first story window.

As for Garland, all i have to say is that he is making my beginning of the season prediction look pretty good. In fact, I might have been overly optomistic. This does not make me happy :crying

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 13, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
Nice to see our own fans turn on our players so quickly, especially after what Jon did last season.

Nice to see Jon pitch like crap after signing a $29 million contract.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
All I can say is that I'm extremely grateful that Garland had a year like he did in 2005. More and more it seems that maybe this is the actual Garland.

^^^

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 14, 2006 -> 05:39 AM)
Nice to see Jon pitch like crap after signing a $29 million contract.

^^^

I prefer to give players more than a month and a half to show what they can do. Like I said in another thread, before last night, Jon only gave up 10ER in his last 4 starts, after his bad 1st 2 outings.

Garland may or may not, do as good as he did last season for the rest of the way. But he's not as bad as what he put up last night.

I agree that Jon should be so much better than what we've seen thus far, and it's really disappointing that he keeps having these outings where he gets shellacked. Hell, he even had AJ doing the catching for him last night and still got crushed. No more Widger as an excuse.

I hate to have to say it, but I'm going to say it anyway...if Jon keeps putting up games like last night...well, it might be time to start looking at the backup option with the incredible changeup. Give Jon some extra rest out in the pen or something like that.

The problem with the Garland-Loaiza comparison is that Jon was a solid pitcher before he had his great year, last year. He might not be the Jon of 05 when all is set and done but he surely isn't going to be this bad either.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 13, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
I prefer to give players more than a month and a half to show what they can do.

What are you talking about? Garland's been a full-time starter for us for the past four years. He was inconsistent and mediocre overall for the first three of those seasons and, of course, stepped it up last year. We already know what he can do.

Like I said in another thread, before last night, Jon only gave up 10ER in his last 4 starts, after his bad 1st 2 outings.

Yep, he's pitching inconsistently again... just like '02-'04.

I like Jon as a person and, as I said before, really appreciate what he did for us last year. But KW and JR didn't fork over $29 million for a repeat of those '02-'04 numbers.

If he gets out of his funk and can end the season with a 4.00-4.20 ERA, I'll be really happy.

im not gunna lie....i think its funny that some how john found a way to raise his ERA in this last game lol.... 6.05 to 6.75

I thought he had no where to go but down from 6.05, he proved me wrong though.

I'm worried, but john is not a 5 or 6 era pitcher....so i know for a fact, it will be lower at the end of the season and that means he will have alot better games.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 13, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
I hate to have to say it, but I'm going to say it anyway...if Jon keeps putting up games like last night...well, it might be time to start looking at the backup option with the incredible changeup. Give Jon some extra rest out in the pen or something like that.

I don't know about that. That might erode his confidence even more and be counter-productive. I'd like to see him given a chance to get out of this funk. If Garland's our #5, we're still in pretty good shape... even if he isn't pitching well.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 14, 2006 -> 05:54 AM)
What are you talking about? Garland's been a full-time starter for us for the past four years. He was inconsistent and mediocre overall for the first three of those seasons and, of course, stepped it up last year. We already know what he can do.

Jon was a very consistent pitcher for us last season, his "breakout" year if you will. He's going to have times in his career where he'll be inconsistent, I think we all know that. His main problem is that he's not throwing enough first pitch strikes, and is falling behind in the count.

If Coop can get him on workin on fixing that, I think he can get back to some sort of resemblence to the form he put up last season.

I wouldn't call giving up 10ER in 4 starts being consistent, that's a nice little stretch there for Jon. If we're complaining about pitchers, what about Mark Buehrle who's given up 27 hits in his last 3 starts?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 13, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
Nice to see our own fans turn on our players so quickly, especially after what Jon did last season.

Contract year dude. Now that he got his money he's back to his old form. We all talked about the possibility of this happening.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 13, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
The problem with the Garland-Loaiza comparison is that Jon was a solid pitcher before he had his great year, last year. He might not be the Jon of 05 when all is set and done but he surely isn't going to be this bad either.

I wasn't so much comparing the two as I was saying that the 18-10 year may be the best we will ever see from Garland. You probably will never see Esteban Loaiza win 21 games in a season again, either. Either way, too early to tell.

Even so, 12 wins a season isn't bad for a back of the rotation starter.