Bush to order National Guard to border

Balta1701

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
How about cutting 5% from entitlement programs to hire 100,000 border patrol agents?

How about a 1% tax increase across the board? Or cutting back of some of those $10's of billions in subsidies to farmers and oil companies? Or allowing Medicare to actually negotiate prescription drug prices downwards?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
How about a 1% tax increase across the board? Or cutting back of some of those $10's of billions in subsidies to farmers and oil companies? Or allowing Medicare to actually negotiate prescription drug prices downwards?

No to tax increaes. But yes to the rest.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Well, at least we know you're willing to secure the border as long as someone else is willing to pay for it.

Someone else? Doesn't he pay taxes also?

:huh

How about the federal government get its own fiscal house in order before it comes whining to the public needing more money for another thousand bridges to nowhere?

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Well, at least we know you're willing to secure the border as long as someone else is willing to pay for it.

I'm still working this year to pay my 2006 taxes. The last I heard the break even date was June 15th. I think we pay enough to expect secure borders.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
I'm still working this year to pay my 2006 taxes. The last I heard the break even date was June 15th. I think we pay enough to expect secure borders.

In Iraq. (rimshot)

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
How about cutting 5% from entitlement programs to hire 100,000 border patrol agents?

I've got another idea. Hire the extra border patrol and customs agents. Have half of them go after the businesses hiring illegals. Fine the s*** out of the guilty businesses to fund the department.

You can call them the "Border Revenue Patrol".

I'm only joking about the name - serious about the rest.

You know what I just adore about Americans? We've got people calling for everything from the army on the border to an extra 100,000 border patrol agents to unmanned drones patrolling every sector of the border to a 1200 mile multi layered fence with motion sensors along the whole thing, and the moment you raise the spectre of Americans actually having to spend money on all those new devices...

"I think we spend enough in taxes to secure the border" "Oh the government should get its house in order first" "The finger thing means the taxes".

Senate votes no 55-40 to secure border first before then allowing amnesty.

These Repubs. will start to listen when there asses are back home whining about the Dems.

There is no quid pro quo here people.

Brownback, Chafee, Craig, DeWine, Graham, Hagel, Lugar, Martinez, Murkowski, Shelby, Snowe, Specter, Stevens, and Warner should be proud of themselves.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
Senate votes no 55-40 to secure border first before then allowing amnesty.

These Repubs. will start to listen when there asses are back home whining about the Dems.

There is no quid pro quo here people.

Brownback, Chafee, Craig, DeWine, Graham, Hagel, Lugar, Martinez, Murkowski, Shelby, Snowe, Specter, Stevens, and Warner should be proud of themselves.

Vote was 100% correct, and they should be very proud of themselves. There's no reason for there to be a "First" in any of this. That's why you create "Comprehensive" or "Bipartisan" bills.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Sources?

The difficulty is that you can't use a leftist blog or website.

About the minutemen leader who resigned because of racism in the organization? Sure. Happened last year but I'm sure there's still stuff on it. Lemme check...

Here's one from a news source.

VICTORIA, Texas (AP) - The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps has named the new leader of its Texas branch after the previous supervisor resigned, alleging disorganization and racism in the Goliad County chapter.

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3657578

And here's a white supremecist forum (same format as ours :P ) detailing their minutemen rally. You'll luv the language.

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=221526

It isn't exactly new news that there are racist ties with the minutemen.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
You know what I just adore about Americans? We've got people calling for everything from the army on the border to an extra 100,000 border patrol agents to unmanned drones patrolling every sector of the border to a 1200 mile multi layered fence with motion sensors along the whole thing, and the moment you raise the spectre of Americans actually having to spend money on all those new devices...

"I think we spend enough in taxes to secure the border" "Oh the government should get its house in order first" "The finger thing means the taxes".

Which is why I made the suggestion I did.

And why I advocate a technological solution backed by the military (at first), as opposed to a giant wall and a hundred thousand BP agents.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 16, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
I've got another idea. Hire the extra border patrol and customs agents. Have half of them go after the businesses hiring illegals. Fine the s*** out of the guilty businesses to fund the department.

You can call them the "Border Revenue Patrol".

I'm only joking about the name - serious about the rest.

Im down with that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)

Savings

Maybe if we say save the burden that illegal immigrants put on our infrastructure maybe we dont have to raise taxes.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Savings

Maybe if we say save the burden that illegal immigrants put on our infrastructure maybe we dont have to raise taxes.

You know as well as I do that there are 2 obvious comebacks to that...1. that the businesses that employ those immigrants are in fact doing quite well and are then paying taxes because of it, thus stimulating business and all of that, (the article you cite points out that California's agriculture industry is a $28 billion industry, and 2/3 of its workers are illegal)

And 2., no matter what, that tax burden doesn't just vanish. If you deport them all, you wind up having a bill in the hundreds of billions for the deportation. If you jail them all, you wind up paying for the jail. In fact, the only zero-cost solution in terms of the federal government's expenditures would be another blanket amnesty.

Edited by Balta1701

DHS Chief Michael Chertoff in December 2005 on the O'Reilly Factor.

Well, the National Guard is really, first of all, not trained for that mission. I mean, the fact of the matter is the border is a special place. There are special challenges that are faced there.
Edited by Rex Kickass

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 16, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
You know as well as I do that there are 2 obvious comebacks to that...1. that the businesses that employ those immigrants are in fact doing quite well and are then paying taxes because of it, thus stimulating business and all of that, (the article you cite points out that California's agriculture industry is a $28 billion industry, and 2/3 of its workers are illegal)

And 2., no matter what, that tax burden doesn't just vanish. If you deport them all, you wind up having a bill in the hundreds of billions for the deportation. If you jail them all, you wind up paying for the jail. In fact, the only zero-cost solution in terms of the federal government's expenditures would be another blanket amnesty.

So whats your solution. Just look the other way. Pretend our borders are safe. Hope something doesnt happen.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
So whats your solution. Just look the other way. Pretend our borders are safe. Hope something doesnt happen.

No, not at all. Just don't look the other way and pretend that the problem can be fixed for free. The fact that we've spent 20 years sitting around ignoring the problem is the reason why it'll cost so much to fix it now.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Do that and cut a couple of billion from the defense budget and you can hire all the BP agents you need as well as put up a fence that nobody could cross.

We don't collect taxes to pay for anything, we collect, or don't collect taxes to stimulate the economy. Let's cut taxes 25%, borrow a couple hundred billion from China, and get after this problem. We cut taxes to fight the war in Iraq, let's cut taxes to fix the border.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
We don't collect taxes to pay for anything, we collect, or don't collect taxes to stimulate the economy. Let's cut taxes 25%, borrow a couple hundred billion from China, and get after this problem.

Dude, you know we're only allowed to do that if it gets us oil in return

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 16, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
We don't collect taxes to pay for anything, we collect, or don't collect taxes to stimulate the economy. Let's cut taxes 25%, borrow a couple hundred billion from China, and get after this problem. We cut taxes to fight the war in Iraq, let's cut taxes to fix the border.

Tex. That statement is every bit as silly as it is wrong. The government is in as much trouble as it is with debt because it spends money like a teenage girl at Abercrombie & Fitch. When politicians get it through their heads that we can't spend like we have been then things will improve. As Ive said a million times before........if the government can't cut back on their spending habit then they needn't bother asking me for more in taxes.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
Tex. That statement is every bit as silly as it is wrong. The government is in as much trouble as it is with debt because it spends money like a teenage girl at Abercrombie & Fitch. When politicians get it through their heads that we can't spend like we have been then things will improve. As Ive said a million times before........if the government can't cut back on their spending habit then they needn't bother asking me for more in taxes.

You just said it was wrong and agreed with me at the same time.

We are becoming overun in this country with illegals with most of them looking to get a free ride. It scares me the thought of how many terrorists have crossed over that border and will continue to cross over.

QUOTE(minors @ May 16, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
We are becoming overun in this country with illegals with most of them looking to get a free ride. It scares me the thought of how many terrorists have crossed over that border and will continue to cross over.

Yeah, and it also scares me about how this country will look in 50 years if we don't change this now.

QUOTE(minors @ May 16, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
It scares me the thought of how many terrorists have crossed over that border and will continue to cross over.

Don't be scared, why would a terrorist risk the walk when they can get tourist and students visas? They have the monetary resources to get in legally, and once they are here, we can't track all of them. More Americans have been killed by US Military trained US citizens in terrorist attacks than anyone walking in from Mexico. Be scared of tourists, students, and ex-military. They are the ones killing Americans.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 16, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
Yeah, and it also scares me about how this country will look in 50 years if we don't change this now.

Yeah, that 5% unemployement rate would really suck. Hopefully your children and your grandchildren will be able to work those manual labor jobs that immigrants are currently working. We need your children to step up and take jobs as bus boys, farm laborors, yard men. We need them to grab mops, brooms, and shovels and save America :usa