Gay baseball players

Gregory Pratt

By all accounts there are plenty of gay baseball players, just like there are in any workplace. Unlike most workplaces baseball players have an audience who likes to dissect a person's personal life, put it on display for the world to see, and then use it against a player in opposing stadiums. Add to that the perceived pressures and narrowminded boobs of your own teams and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why players don't come out while playing, if ever. If this is ever going to change it is going to take a player who is bigger than the game, talented, and popular with the fans to come out publicly, and make it easier for others to do the samething. Until then, the status quo will continue.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a (slight) difference between being ignorant and being racist. Not a big one... but refusing to play with someone because they are black versus refusing to play with them cause they may be looking at yer package are separated though with a fine line.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 06:26 AM)
Guys like Everett and Smoltz really should be taken to the woodshed if they made comments about playing with gay players. Its no different than saying you wouldn't play with a latin, black, or white player. Its ignorant.

^^^

I'm disappointed that Smoltz, one of my favorite players, would say something like that. :headshake

i knew about carl's statements, which didn't surprise me. he's a fundamentalist christian, and sometimes those folks aren't very tolerant when it comes to homosexuality. i did not hear about smoltz's statements, though.

i'd guess there are gay players on every team. general societal statistics would probably support that. i couldn't care less myself. i don't care about anyone's sexual orientation any more than i'd care about someone's religion, race, ethnicity, etc. i'd hope we get to a point in this world where those things are less of a concern, but that's probably a pipe dream.

to the original poster, i've never heard about zito being gay. he's kind of a flake, but that's about it.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
i knew about carl's statements, which didn't surprise me. he's a fundamentalist christian, and sometimes those folks aren't very tolerant when it comes to homosexuality. i did not hear about smoltz's statements, though.

i'd guess there are gay players on every team. general societal statistics would probably support that. i couldn't care less myself. i don't care about anyone's sexual orientation any more than i'd care about someone's religion, race, ethnicity, etc. i'd hope we get to a point in this world where those things are less of a concern, but that's probably a pipe dream.

to the original poster, i've never heard about zito being gay. he's kind of a flake, but that's about it.

I love Barry Zito.

According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Everett, Todd Jones and John Smoltz have made similar comments.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
I love Barry Zito.

oh, really?

not that there's anything wrong with that.

:D

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
Guys like Everett and Smoltz really should be taken to the woodshed if they made comments about playing with gay players. Its no different than saying you wouldn't play with a latin, black, or white player. Its ignorant.

Not really. I wouldnt want to be in the same lockerroom as gay players either. I do not agree with the choice of homosexuality.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
^^^

I'm disappointed that Smoltz, one of my favorite players, would say something like that. :headshake

quote from The Nation article

At one of the Faith Days in Atlanta, the team will sell special vouchers. After the game, the stands will be cleared and then only those with the specially purchased vouchers will be re-admitted. Those lucky chosen "will be treated to an hour and a half of Christian music and a testimonial from the ace pitcher John Smoltz." Smoltz is the player who in 2004 opined on gay marriage to the Associated Press, saying, "What's next? Marrying an animal?" Good times for the whole family.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Not really. I wouldnt want to be in the same lockerroom as gay players either. I do not agree with the choice of homosexuality.

That's how I feel, kind of. I see no point in being gay, and most of the gay people I have encountered have been the open kind who are proud of their sexuality. I don't go around marching in Straight Pride Parades and putting Straight Pride bumper stickers on my car, so why should they? I do accept the theory that God created homosexuals to prevent overpopulation though, so that is why I said "kind of" earlier. It might not be as much of a choice as people think it is, but it is a choice when they are bold about it.

And how many of you men here can say you would openly embrace a gay guy onto your team and into your showers? Just don't drop the soap.. There are so many "manly" things that go on in a locker room full of men, even in the middle and high school sports that I have been a participant in.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)

Nor do I. I think this statement from Everett sums it up best: Two women can't produce a baby, two men can't produce a baby, so it's not how it's supposed to be.

I just new this thread would end up down a bad road.

I can honestly say I could give less of a damn if there was a gay guy around me in the lockerroom. Want to know why? For one thing, I go to the gym, and I'm guessing not every guy in there is straight. And for another thing, its not like every gay person is out to touch every other guy - what a ludicrous idea. I'm more concerned about some guy's athlete's foot in the lockerroom than I would be worrying about which guy was gay. Athlete's foot would actually cause me a problem.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Choice?

Yes, choice. I do not agree with the notion of being born gay, I believe thats its an active choice.

Im not trying to say im against being gay, if someone chooses to do it, thats fine with me. I just dont agree with it. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
Yes, choice. I do not agree with the notion of being born gay, I believe thats its an active choice.

Im not trying to say im against being gay, if someone chooses to do it, thats fine with me. I just dont agree with it. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree.

Sort of a funny comment coming from a person whose avatar shows two women tounguing each other.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)

Unless you are gay and speak from experience I'm not sure how you can make that determination..

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)

Let's see, I have two choices here:

1) Choose to be gay so that I can get ridiculed, become ostracized, etc.

2) Choose to be straight so that I can blend in with the the other 90% of the population.

You're telling me that people actively choose option #1? That's a bunch of bulls***.

I would have absolutely no problem with a gay teammate. Working in the entertainment industry, I have many gay co-workers. As long as they do their job we won't have any issues. Just because there's a homosexual in the locker room, it doesn't mean they're automatically going to try to sleep with you. Even if he does, you still have the option of saying no. Just as if a woman in which I have no attraction makes a pass at me, I can say no. I'll have to disagree with that poster who said "I don't go around marching in Straight Pride Parades and putting Straight Pride bumper stickers on my car, so why should they?" When was the last time you heard of a person disowned by their family for being straight? When was the last time a person was beaten up for being a heterosexual? People are not harassed and beaten because they are heterosexual. When was the last time someone told you "Quit acting straight you hetero!" ?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Unless you are gay and speak from experience I'm not sure how you can make that determination..

Its my belief, and im not trying to impose it on anyone here, so I am not sure why everyone wants to argue my opinion. You have yours, and I have mine.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Let's see, I have two choices here:

1) Choose to be gay so that I can get ridiculed, become ostracized, etc.

2) Choose to be straight so that I can blend in with the the other 90% of the population.

You're telling me that people actively choose option #1? That's a bunch of bulls***.

Once again, Its what I believe from my background and my acceptance of more a nurture vs nature philosophy. Your reasoning of course makes it back up your point, but at the same time there are straight kids who are ridiculed for nothing close to sexual orientation, whether it is musical tastes, being in the band, there are many things that kids are ridiculed for, and there are also people they identify with, and then adhere to many of their beliefs as well.

QUOTE(ChiSoxLifer @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
I'll have to disagree with that poster who said "I don't go around marching in Straight Pride Parades and putting Straight Pride bumper stickers on my car, so why should they?" When was the last time you heard of a person disowned by their family for being straight? When was the last time a person was beaten up for being a heterosexual? People are not harassed and beaten because they are heterosexual. When was the last time someone told you "Quit acting straight you hetero!" ?

So how does this validate their marching in gay pride parades and putting bumper stickers on their cars?