Ab Workouts

WilliamTell

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Peanut butter is great.. dunno if ide be eating PB&J's a lot though..

I usually eat just plain peanut butter sandwiches..

Aside from Cardio, a healthy diet will almost be MORE important than the cardio portion.. Chicken and fish is loaded with good protein, I wouldnt eat a ton of red meats..

Pretty much, all I eat is Tuna, Chicken, Turkey, Peanut Butter, and protein shakes.. I usually go through a case of water every 2 weeks, and for the most part thats all I drink except some occasions

Other than Beer if I go out, water is all I consume.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Just remember that cardio is almost always more effective in the morning. I like to do cardio+some circuit or ab and core training on tues, thurs.

Seriously...? I used to get up at 4 and run, but now usually do it at night. Why is it more effective in the morning?

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
I drink alot of water, I just can't take as much as I used to. I used to drink 120+ ounces of water a day, but making 10 trips a day to the bathroom lost it's luster.

Wow.. I down 120 just at work. I can easily drink 8 20 oz bottles from the time I get here to the time I get home. Then at least a sport bottle while running, then I take a glass to bed with me. Amazingly, I rarely get up in the middle of the night. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Seriously...? I used to get up at 4 and run, but now usually do it at night. Why is it more effective in the morning?

Wow.. I down 120 just at work. I can easily drink 8 20 oz bottles from the time I get here to the time I get home. Then at least a sport bottle while running, then I take a glass to bed with me. Amazingly, I rarely get up in the middle of the night. :huh

Steff, Its been said that doing cardio after sleep on the most empty a stomach can be is the best for burning calories and fat. Being that I am not a morning person, I do it right after work before dinner when my stomach is relatively empty.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
Steff, Its been said that doing cardio after sleep on the most empty a stomach can be is the best for burning calories and fat. Being that I am not a morning person, I do it right after work before dinner when my stomach is relatively empty.

Here's my program... a morning snack. Usually never a "breakfast". Then I snack on sunflower seeds most of the day - drinking a ton of water - and eating a big, late lunch (usually 2ish). Then I rarely ever eat dinner, working out when I get home on mostly an empty belly. I've been told a million times I should eat 4 small meals a day, but I just don't have the time. Maybe I'll try to get back into the 4am running schedule. if it will get me better results I'm all for it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)

I workout every night starting around 9pm or 10 if a sox game is on. My goal is to drop my glucose before I go to bed. My stomach is empty by that point. After my workout I drink a bottle of water. It amazing to see how working out at night affects my blood sugar not only before I hit bed, but when I wake up. When I dont work out, my sugars are up at least 20-40 in the morning. When I run at night, my numbers are almost "normal".

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
I workout every night starting around 9pm or 10 if a sox game is on. My goal is to drop my glucose before I go to bed. My stomach is empty by that point. After my workout I drink a bottle of water. It amazing to see how working out at night affects my blood sugar not only before I hit bed, but when I wake up. When I dont work out, my sugars are up at least 20-40 in the morning. When I run at night, my numbers are almost "normal".

I always work out at night, I've tried before to get up early before my day starts and do it but that didn't work out so well. That lasted about two days.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
I always work out at night, I've tried before to get up early before my day starts and do it but that didn't work out so well. That lasted about two days.

If there is a good movie on I can do it. The news at 4am is the world news and those anchors suck. They should replay Sox games then. :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Here's my program... a morning snack. Usually never a "breakfast". Then I snack on sunflower seeds most of the day - drinking a ton of water - and eating a big, late lunch (usually 2ish). Then I rarely ever eat dinner, working out when I get home on mostly an empty belly. I've been told a million times I should eat 4 small meals a day, but I just don't have the time. Maybe I'll try to get back into the 4am running schedule. if it will get me better results I'm all for it.

If I was to change your sched and make it easier for you with better results. I would say morning run, light breakfast under 200 cals, decent lunch around 12, dinner around 6, doesnt matter what size, then nothing but water the rest of the night.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Pretty much, all I eat is Tuna, Chicken, Turkey, Peanut Butter, and protein shakes.. I usually go through a case of water every 2 weeks, and for the most part thats all I drink except some occasions

Just wondering what protein shakes?

I'm big on water. Once in a while I'll have Gatorade (though I hear it takes out some important things that water puts in?). Some soda (without caffeine) and sometimes apple juice as well

Anyone ever tried Slimfast? I think I'd be embarrased to buy it, but they are still in business...

I just started getting into a bit of an exercise routine (6', 155 lbs.) to tone up and start feeling a little better.

Only a couple days in. Started with pre-breakfast walk of about a mile or two, breakfast (Cheerios + milk, banana, water)...some situps, pushups and jumping jacks, lunch about noon (PB+J, water, some celery and carrots) and then dinner (usually baked chicken, corn or another vegetable, rice, water) Then some juice or water for the rest of the night.

Looking into local gym memberships in CU as well. Anybody know any decent gyms in Champaign-Urbana without insane membership fees, shoot me a PM. (and CRCE etc. won't work for me anymore because I'm not a student) I gotta see what I can handle with the pay of my new job -- being a professional and all.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 03:03 AM)
Just wondering what protein shakes?

I'm big on water. Once in a while I'll have Gatorade (though I hear it takes out some important things that water puts in?). Some soda (without caffeine) and sometimes apple juice as well

Anyone ever tried Slimfast? I think I'd be embarrased to buy it, but they are still in business...

I use two different kinds of protein shakes. Isopure, which is low on carbs and cals, and fat. I use then if I feel I need to get leaner. If im bulking or not worrying about my weight I use Muscle Milk, which is delicious, but is higher on cals and fat content.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 05:39 AM)
BTW Im majoring in Kinesiology for Personel Training and what not so anything else youd like some advice for, feel free to ask

hey man, im 5 foot 11 and my weight is about 155 lbs... i need to get my body fat percentage but id imagine it to be pretty good... i just have a little over the bottom abs and the obleuques as well....

my goal is to remove that so i can have a more defined looking stomach....

but id also like to add more mass so im a bigger guy....

what would you recommend.... backing off the cardo, doing less reps with more weight, eating a lot of protean spaced out 6 times a day, and taking suplements (if so what suplements)

or.... continue my cardo, get toned more by doing more reps with less weight.... then start to build mass as i do some cardo but focus on increased eating/weight on my presses

thanks for the help amigo. any advise will rock.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
hey man, im 5 foot 11 and my weight is about 155 lbs... i need to get my body fat percentage but id imagine it to be pretty good... i just have a little over the bottom abs and the obleuques as well....

my goal is to remove that so i can have a more defined looking stomach....

but id also like to add more mass so im a bigger guy....

what would you recommend.... backing off the cardo, doing less reps with more weight, eating a lot of protean spaced out 6 times a day, and taking suplements (if so what suplements)

or.... continue my cardo, get toned more by doing more reps with less weight.... then start to build mass as i do some cardo but focus on increased eating/weight on my presses

thanks for the help amigo. any advise will rock.

First off, try not drinking a case of beer every day. ;)

Now, I'm not the kineisiologist or whatever but I'd probably go with the 2nd one. More reps at lower weights will help you tone and burn some of that extra fat around the edges. This is what I do to condition for baseball. Keep up with cardio no matter what though. And you just can't stress water enough. Keep water with you all the time.

I'm 6'4, 185 btw.

Oh, and bench pressing is WAY overrated. It helps you in no way whatsoever. When are you going to be able to push off of a wall in real life? Never. If you want to improve core strength, do squat presses.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was to change your sched and make it easier for you with better results. I would say morning run, light breakfast under 200 cals, decent lunch around 12, dinner around 6, doesnt matter what size, then nothing but water the rest of the night.

Does Steff have an eating disorder? 2 below averaged size meals, 1 normal-big meal? That's just not right, nor should anyone stop eating at six. I can't even imagine not eating past six, waking up the next morning, lets say, 7:30.. and to top it off, after 13.5 hours of starvation mode, you opt not to breakfast and run?

:unsure:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off, try not drinking a case of beer every day. ;)

Now, I'm not the kineisiologist or whatever but I'd probably go with the 2nd one. More reps at lower weights will help you tone and burn some of that extra fat around the edges. This is what I do to condition for baseball. Keep up with cardio no matter what though. And you just can't stress water enough. Keep water with you all the time.

I'm 6'4, 185 btw.

Oh, and bench pressing is WAY overrated. It helps you in no way whatsoever. When are you going to be able to push off of a wall in real life? Never. If you want to improve core strength, do squat presses.

High reps, Low weight does not help you 'tone and burn some of that extra fat around the edges.' Your muscles look the way they do because of how skinny or big you are, just like your abs. Genetics determine the size, shape, vascularity, etc. of your body.

Good advice on the bench press, it is far overrated, but still one of the superior compound excercises that someone should perform. With that being said, it's definitly an ego excercise.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
Does Steff have an eating disorder? 2 below averaged size meals, 1 normal-big meal? That's just not right, nor should anyone stop eating at six. I can't even imagine not eating past six, waking up the next morning, lets say, 7:30.. and to top it off, after 13.5 hours of starvation mode, you opt not to breakfast and run?

High reps, Low weight does not help you 'tone and burn some of that extra fat around the edges.' Your muscles look the way they do because of how skinny or big you are, just like your abs. Genetics determine the size, shape, vascularity, etc. of your body.

Good advice on the bench press, it is far overrated, but still one of the superior compound excercises that someone should perform. With that being said, it's definitly an ego excercise.

What kind of advice are you giving here? No, Steff does not have an eating disoder, I was simply making her eat more regularly. Which not only helps your nutrition, but also your metabolism.

Ssecondly, the reps vs weight discussion is legit, someone who points to genetics is too f***in lazy to work out. High reps with low weight is for tone, low reps, high weight is for mass. If you would liket to gain mass I would try pyramid reps. Start with what you can do 10 reps of, then work your way up to a weight which you can only do 2. Prob around 5 or 6 sets. That should help you with your mass. Also add more protein shakes like muscle milk into your diet.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)

This is just an outrageous claim. Bench Press is a great lift to do because it works almost all muscles in the upper body.. Not to mention the MANY variations you can do like Incline, Decline, Close Grip, Wide Grip, Dumbbell, all working different muscles in the upper body

Thats like saying squats are pointless, how many times in my life and I going to throw something across my shoulders and lift them up and down?

As far as protein goes...

Ide go with 100% ON Whey Protein.. the Vanilla flavor is good and I usually find the 5 LB jugs for like $20-25.. I also have some PM Protein which is a type of protein that you take before you go to bed, since when you are sleeping is when your body is really building itself

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:21 AM)
Ssecondly, the reps vs weight discussion is legit, someone who points to genetics is too f***in lazy to work out. High reps with low weight is for tone, low reps, high weight is for mass.

Genetics do play a HUGE role in someones ability to gain mass.. people who are just nautrally slim or small in size arent going to be able to just get huge, it just doesnt happen.. however, I do know what you are saying about people who are too lazy to go work out, and yes you are right on that in some cases.. but.. genetics are going to be a factor in your body type and what you are going to be able to do with it..

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
Does Steff have an eating disorder?

Busted... you got me. Thank you so much R&W... :rolly

I just thank my lucky stars it's something I can get help for and not something non-treatable.. like say... a stupidity disorder.