Outfield Posibilities

palesox38

QUOTE(brewerbacker @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
View from a Brewer fan...

I will go so far as to say that Brady Clark is not a "could" but a "will" go. Once JJ Hardy is back off the DL, there is a strong chance that Bill Hall could be moved to CF in order to keep him in the line-up every day. On days when Hall needs a day off or moves to 3B to replace lefty Cory Koskie, the Brewers will likely play a Hart/Gross platoon in center.

Cory Hart and Gabe Gross will not be easily had. In addition to the reserve platoon they are likely to play in CF, Gross is our #1 left-handed pinch hitter. Hart appears to be moving into that role as the righty. Hart is also our fastest bench player, and Yost's #1 pinch runner. Manager Ned Yost has made many comments this year as to how much he likes the flexibility of his bench. Giving Yost that improved bench was GM Doug Melvin's #1 job this past off-season, so I don't see him trading it away now.

I think Nelson Cruz could be had, but would you really want to trade for a prospect with virtually no big league expereince?

And you are all right, the price for either Clark or Cruz would be pitching. (We REALLY need it with Sheets on the DL)

Brady Clark would be a good fit.

The Sox would probably part with some AAA pitching, guys who might be ready this year--SP's like knuckleballer Charlie Haeger [who threw for the sox this yr] and LHP Heath Phillips. Both are throwing lights out in AAA, and really don't have a long term spot with the Sox.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(brewerbacker @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
View from a Brewer fan...

I will go so far as to say that Brady Clark is not a "could" but a "will" go. Once JJ Hardy is back off the DL, there is a strong chance that Bill Hall could be moved to CF in order to keep him in the line-up every day. On days when Hall needs a day off or moves to 3B to replace lefty Cory Koskie, the Brewers will likely play a Hart/Gross platoon in center.

Cory Hart and Gabe Gross will not be easily had. In addition to the reserve platoon they are likely to play in CF, Gross is our #1 left-handed pinch hitter. Hart appears to be moving into that role as the righty. Hart is also our fastest bench player, and Yost's #1 pinch runner. Manager Ned Yost has made many comments this year as to how much he likes the flexibility of his bench. Giving Yost that improved bench was GM Doug Melvin's #1 job this past off-season, so I don't see him trading it away now.

I think Nelson Cruz could be had, but would you really want to trade for a prospect with virtually no big league expereince?

And you are all right, the price for either Clark or Cruz would be pitching. (We REALLY need it with Sheets on the DL)

The stuff on Clark is very encouraging. BTW, welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

Thanks greasy,

nice to be here.

A few friends of mine and I all have 10-game packages to the Brewers, and one of those friends is a big ChiSox fan (who was moved to Madison, WI). We quickly bonded over a shared hatred of the Cubs. And with 2 of our 10 games being interleague against the Tribe and Tigers, he's bound to be one of the most vocal "Brewer"-supports around in the upcoming weeks.

The debate on this thread is completely worthless. I think we all know the answer in the outfield:

Carl Everett

Yes... its time to bring him back for a third time. He's got all the intangibles. He's a better centerfielder than Mack. He's a great clubhouse guy...

I know deep down that Kenny Williams is considering this. How many prospects have we given up for the guy in the past? 5? 6? Why not make it 9 or 10.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
The debate on this thread is completely worthless. I think we all know the answer in the outfield:

Carl Everett

Yes... its time to bring him back for a third time. He's got all the intangibles. He's a better centerfielder than Mack. He's a great clubhouse guy...

I know deep down that Kenny Williams is considering this. How many prospects have we given up for the guy in the past? 5? 6? Why not make it 9 or 10.

I think kenny is giving Roberto Alomar a call and asking him to return to baseball and try playing some center for a bit, Crazy Carl is option B however.

Reds fan here -

You can have Ryan Freel - but don't get him used to Old Style.

But, we need pitching in the worst way.

Someone mentioned Chris Denorfia, and he's about the closest thing the Reds have to major league prospect. He's around in case Kearns or Griffey goes down.

QUOTE(Heath @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
Reds fan here -

Someone mentioned Chris Denorfia, and he's about the closest thing the Reds have to major league prospect. He's around in case Kearns or Griffey goes down.

I assume the Reds have pretty much completely given up on Wagner.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
I assume the Reds have pretty much completely given up on Wagner.

I think that Wagner's given up on Wagner. He had a pretty poor Spring Training and he's whining himself to a 7+ ERA in AAA. Not a good way to endear yourself to the new management/FO Staff.

He's got the stuff....but the 10 cent head.

QUOTE(Heath @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
I think that Wagner's given up on Wagner. He had a pretty poor Spring Training and he's whining himself to a 7+ ERA in AAA. Not a good way to endear yourself to the new management/FO Staff.

He's got the stuff....but the 10 cent head.

Sounds like a guy who needs a fresh start? Or is he just a mental case that will never get past that stuff?

QUOTE(Heath @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 05:15 AM)
Reds fan here -

Yeah I've been the one mentioning about Denorfia. I figure that since the Reds may keep Dunn, Griffey and Kearns all in the OF, a gut like Denorfia, if you offered bullpen help could be had.

Freel and Wagner would be interesting though. I think Wagner needs a change of organization pretty quick, and I'd like to see what Don Cooper can do to him because he's obviously got some issues. What's Ryan defense like in CF? If he was acquired, he could pretty much replace Pods for next season as well.

Don't know what we could offer you guys though. We've got plenty of SP prospects, otherwise the only other guy I could think of is Jon Garland, who'd have to waive his no trade clause. Doubt we would move B-Mac, who you guys would probably like.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 07:12 AM)
Yeah I've been the one mentioning about Denorfia. I figure that since the Reds may keep Dunn, Griffey and Kearns all in the OF, a gut like Denorfia, if you offered bullpen help could be had.

Freel and Wagner would be interesting though. I think Wagner needs a change of organization pretty quick, and I'd like to see what Don Cooper can do to him because he's obviously got some issues. What's Ryan defense like in CF? If he was acquired, he could pretty much replace Pods for next season as well.

Don't know what we could offer you guys though. We've got plenty of SP prospects, otherwise the only other guy I could think of is Jon Garland, who'd have to waive his no trade clause. Doubt we would move B-Mac, who you guys would probably like.

Brandon McCarthy might find himself in a situation where he'd get tossed right into a #3/4 starter where every 5th day, he'd get the ball. But with Garcia's ERA increasing, and isn't Garland an FA-to-be anyway, I think the Sox would have to be overwhelmed to get rid of Mac.

I think a Wagner has tremendous upside, but the 10 cent head will keep him from being a millionaire. He could pull a Cliff Politte-type pitcher, and he has closer stuff, but no mentality.

QUOTE(Heath @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Brandon McCarthy might find himself in a situation where he'd get tossed right into a #3/4 starter where every 5th day, he'd get the ball. But with Garcia's ERA increasing, and isn't Garland an FA-to-be anyway, I think the Sox would have to be overwhelmed to get rid of Mac.

I think a Wagner has tremendous upside, but the 10 cent head will keep him from being a millionaire. He could pull a Cliff Politte-type pitcher, and he has closer stuff, but no mentality.

Garland inked a 3 year $29M contract extention this past offseason.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(palesox38 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
I was surfing a few sites today and ran into a few interesting names that might be able to help out in the outfield. The possible CF's were Ryan Freel, Joey Gathright, Juan Pierre, and Torii Hunter. Possible LF's were Alfonso Soriano, Luis Gonzalez, Pat Burrell, and Raul Ibanez.

Personally, I find Ryan Freel the most interesting name on the board. His average isn't the best right now but he will steal a good amount of bags. Plus he can play CF, 2B, and 3B. He can also leadoff (as he does in Cincy) if Pods needs a day off. You might say we already have a player like him in Ozuna, but every play in the outfield is an adventure with him. I'm not sure of his contract status, but he's a young guy that the might be able to sign if needed (ex. Dye doesn't resign). Who do you guys think would be a good fit out of these candidates?

Let's see here......

Ryan Freel wouldn't be all that bad. He's more of a super-utility man, but better than the crap in CF right now. He's getting on base and taking some walks, but you want someone slugging more than a career mark of .384. I'm sick of punch and run singles hitters.

Joey Gathright is even worse. No plate discipline and no power. For his career, he's struggled to stay above the .600 OPS mark. I don't care how fast he is, when you can't hit and can't get on base, your useless end of story.

Juan Pierre sucked in FLA, sucks with the Cubs and will suck untill he retires. Screw him.

Hunter would be nice, but I don't eant to commit long-term. He's a good glove, but no hit CF really. His bat is an upgrade over what we have now, but it certianly isn't real good by any strecth.

Alfonso Soriano is having the season of his career. He's still not walking or getting on base, but he's slugging and hitting for a s***load of power. For the right price, I'd gladly welcome him.

No thanks to Gonzo.

I like Burrell. Ignore the fact that he strikes out quite a bit and realize he still hits for power, still walks 80-90 times a season and gets on base too. He'd be a nice addition out there and he's undervalued too.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
If he proves he can stay healthy and KC ends up willing to deal within the division what do you guys think of DeJesus?

I'ds take him. Legitimate defense for a CF, one of the toughest positions to play, showing good discipline with power increasing yearly.

Problem is he's cheap, young and productive. He's probably thier best trading chip if the decide to put him on the market. Chances of us overpaying along with the chances of them trading to a division rival are slim.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
I'ds take him. Legitimate defense for a CF, one of the toughest positions to play, showing good discipline with power increasing yearly.

Problem is he's cheap, young and productive. He's probably thier best trading chip if the decide to put him on the market. Chances of us overpaying along with the chances of them trading to a division rival are slim.

Yeah Dayton Moore's really going to want a lot for him, and so he should. They don't really have any prospects that are ready to take CF, and DeJesus is signed to a very affordable 5 year deal. He should be a building block for that organization. They need more DeJesus's and less Reggie Sanders'.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 02:41 AM)
Yeah Dayton Moore's really going to want a lot for him, and so he should. They don't really have any prospects that are ready to take CF, and DeJesus is signed to a very affordable 5 year deal. He should be a building block for that organization. They need more DeJesus's and less Reggie Sanders'.

What they need to do is sign the occasional Reggie Sanders, play him for 2 months, and then deal him to whatever team needs help. You aren't going to get a #1 draft pick for him, but occasionally you might strike gold on a prospect that someone missed.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 04:41 AM)

They need to deal sweeney, Elarton, Sanders, Graff, Mink, Redman, and pick up some prospects for them. Someone will be willing to pick up these guys at the deadline.