New Arm Angle for Contreras

DBAHO

From the Southtown, interesting read;

As if Jose Contreras hasn't caused opponents enough problems with his overhand and sidearm deliveries, the right-hander has added another arm angle to his repertoire.

Part of the reason why Contreras struggled during Thursday's start in Cleveland was that he was dropping his overhand delivery into a three-quarter arm slot, thereby diminishing his control.

Instead of rigidly correcting the arm angles, Contreras and Sox pitching coach Don Cooper have decided to embrace the change. Contreras might introduce the new look in today's start against Detroit.

"We are not going to stifle someone's creativity," Cooper said. "He has some good pitches from the three-quarter angle, too. I think the challenge is going to be, when he added in the lower angle, at first he was getting in between at times.

"Now we're trying to master the third in there. We were talking more about realizing when he needs a big pitch, where's the correct angle for that pitch."

If Contreras were the face of a clock, his overhand delivery would put his right arm at roughly 11 while the three-quarter angle would be around 10.

"I was throwing all my stuff here (over the top) then I (mistakenly) dropped down to three-quarters," Contreras said of Thursday's start against Cleveland. "So far (the three-quarter angle is) looking good. Now I have to stay concentrated on my arm angles and throw where I want to throw."

He has enough choices.

"He's got about 10 different pitches from about 10 different angles," Cooper said.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
Isn't there one reliever somewhere in the NL who's so sidearmed that he basically scrapes his knuckles on the mound every pitch? Try that.

Isn't that ex-Sox Chad Bradford?

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Can Politte get some more angles? Can we spend time fixing his ass!!!

Forget about Politte, just throw Jose in the bullpen during his off days, lord knows he could handle it!

QUOTE(Chip Z @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Forget about Politte, just throw Jose in the bullpen during his off days, lord knows he could handle it!

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
I love that idea, especially since Cliff is down on the DL.

When using sarcasm please color your font in green. People might think you are serious.

Thank you.

:D

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
he now has thirteen arm angles. Next he will throw beetween his legs.

I thought he had twenty! Baseball Tonight was talking about it after the Monday game and they can't believe he doesn't lose command of his pitches or velocity. He is an amazing picther and they are touting him as the Cy Young favorite this year. I think Sox fans already knew that though.

Edited by elrockinMT