This Year vs. Last Year

mrzo2733

I was wondering if I'm just weird or are there others who are kind of experiencing what I am... I am far less interested in baseball this year. I think there are a few reasons for this. One, I think I'm kind of waiting til the NBA Finals are over before moving over to baseball. But the larger reason is I just still feel so damn content. Last year, I was White Sox baseball starting in like December, when I joined Soxtalk. I went to SOxfest for the first time, and I was really into it. But I remember the trading deadline last year and the empty feeling I had because I had decided that the Sox couldn't go all the way. Then the Sox actually do it and blow through the postseason, and something I really wasn't sure would ever happen in my life (I'm now 25) happened. Now I feel so content that I just don't have the same fire under my ass that I used to. Maybe I just have a hard time being a fan of a frontrunner?

I was wondering, does anyone else kind of feel the same way, maybe not to the same degree, but a little?

I'm not exactly in that boat, but my fandom sure has changed.

I feel like I'm insanely more bitter after any loss this year than I ever was in the past.

And sometimes I hate the fact that I (and several of us) are not totally pleased with a 36-23 record. In any other year, we would be pretty damn pleased with that kind of record at this point. Our expectations certainly have risen and will stay that way for quite awhile now.

I just have to say it was a lot easier being the optimist of years past and believing a World Series trophy is possible, versus expecting a World Series trophy.

I need to turn my attachment level down a few notches to my teams, so losses don't get to me too much. Because this team definitely owns a great deal of emotions during the months of April through October.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)

I feel like I'm insanely more bitter after any loss this year than I ever was in the past.

And sometimes I hate the fact that I (and several of us) are not totally pleased with a 36-23 record. In any other year, we would be pretty damn pleased with that kind of record at this point. Our expectations certainly have risen and will stay that way for quite awhile now.

I just have to say it was a lot easier being the optimist of years past and believing a World Series trophy is possible, versus expecting a World Series trophy.

I need to turn my attachment level down a few notches to my teams, so losses don't get to me too much. Because this team definitely owns a great deal of emotions during the months of April through October.

Losses affect me the same way as since I was a kid. I always remember being MAD and wondering why we didnt do this/or do that during the game (I paid attention). The losses today are just as bad for me, but they have been noticably less as harsh to me right now. Winning a WS will do that to you Im guessing. Or maybe im realistic about the other teams. I dont like to lose, but you have to admit,

the spectacular way we gave the game away to the Tiggers, reminded me of our team last year.

As long as you lose to a better team thats hustling, good for them.

There are some (esp on other websites) who will say "Why cant you people be happy, were 36-23 and we Just won the World Series". Well, the WS was last year, and were 36-23 and have given away a bunch of games already, and have been mentally deficient for a few weeks now. Sure, its a nice record, but were still not in 1st (and probably dont deserve to be right now) Thats the difference between us and that other team up north. They get to .500, and PARTY WILD in the streets. Were much more intelligent and realistic as a fanbase, and know better. I think most of us feel deep down that even though were 36-23, this may not be our year like last year. Im resigned to accept this and will keep rooting for them, because anything can happen. Our bullpen is basically in shambles, Our big 3 arent as big anymore. And our defense and mental mistakes, which were minimal last year, happen daily now with this team. Kudos to the SOX at least, for giving us a Chance this year, as opposed to sitting on their hands and "hoping" for the best.

And sometimes I hate the fact that I (and several of us) are not totally pleased with a 36-23 record.

I disagree. Thats what makes White Sox Fans SO UNIQUE. We expect excellence, and WONT TOLERATE anything less. Remember the Booing and Catcalling at Opening Ceremonies for SOXFEST 04? That was awesome, to see the fanbase rise-up and tell the team how they felt. We always BOO and dont need the newsmedia to tell us to do so. We always CHEER and SALUTE our players and dont need the newsmedia to tell us to do so. Its one of the reasons ive stayed a SOX fan for so long ................ the Passionate (and long underrated) Fanbase. Like I said before, that other team gets to .500, their fanbase Parties HogWild, break windows, pees in the streets indiscriminately.

You wont see SOX fans partying like its 1999 for a .500 team.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
I disagree. Thats what makes White Sox Fans SO UNIQUE. We expect excellence, and WONT TOLERATE anything less. Remember the Booing and Catcalling at Opening Ceremonies for SOXFEST 04? That was awesome, to see the fanbase rise-up and tell the team how they felt. We always BOO and dont need the newsmedia to tell us to do so. We always CHEER and SALUTE our players and dont need the newsmedia to tell us to do so. Its one of the reasons ive stayed a SOX fan for so long ................ the Passionate (and long underrated) Fanbase. Like I said before, that other team gets to .500, their fanbase Parties HogWild, break windows, pees in the streets indiscriminately.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
I disagree. Thats what makes White Sox Fans SO UNIQUE. We expect excellence, and WONT TOLERATE anything less.

You wont see SOX fans partying like its 1999 for a .500 team.

I never said we were wrong. It does seem somewhat comical that that's where we are now.

And because our expectations are where they are now, the losses seem a lot worse than they ever were in the past. And I don't particularly enjoy that aspect.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
I never said we were wrong. It does seem somewhat comical that that's where we are now.

And because our expectations are where they are now, the losses seem a lot worse than they ever were in the past. And I don't particularly enjoy that aspect.

I understand what your saying. My cousin, who was always a "sox aficianado", someone who follows them from afar but not keeping track of every game, this year is Far more interested in the SOX than ever,

so Losses to him are magnified now, so your right in a sense. We were at the game the other day,

and we pointed out all of the Mental Mistakes in that game, and how the Tigers were exploiting them,

and all I was able to tell him was, HEY thats what happens when you make mistakes against a good team

Believe you me, I hate losing too

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
I understand what your saying. My cousin, who was always a "sox aficianado", someone who follows them from afar but not keeping track of every game, this year is Far more interested in the SOX than ever,

so Losses to him are magnified now, so your right in a sense. We were at the game the other day,

and we pointed out all of the Mental Mistakes in that game, and how the Tigers were exploiting them,

and all I was able to tell him was, HEY thats what happens when you make mistakes against a good team

Believe you me, I hate losing too

Haha, I have to set the record straight, since the only comparison you could come up with was one of a bandwagoner. I'm not the way I am because I'm some bandwagoner that caught some Sox fever last October. This has been my team for as long as I've known baseball.

I'm completely in the other direction with how games affect me now.

I get nowhere near as upset over losses as I did before.

I'm happy with the 2005 Series win, and if they don't win it again this year, I can't say I'd be upset.

Disappointed? Sure. But not upset.

Let's put it this way - even Cliff Pollitte hasn't been able to piss me off.

:D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
I'm completely in the other direction with how games affect me now.

I get nowhere near as upset over losses as I did before.

I'm happy with the 2005 Series win, and if they don't win it again this year, I can't say I'd be upset.

Disappointed? Sure. But not upset.

Let's put it this way - even Cliff Pollitte hasn't been able to piss me off.

:D

I wish I were like that. Before last year, I always said that I'd be so numb after a World Series victory, that I'd be completely fine with an 0-162 season the following year.

I lied. I want another one bad.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)

^^^

I'm "content" in a sense because of last season, but am certainly not apathetic. The expectations are certainly a lot higher this season. I'm not going to pull my hair out in disgust if they don't repeat, but I'm riding them hard to continue playing at an elite level. The organization turned a corner last year and I want to see them stay the course. They have the opportunity to put together a Yankees-like dynasty. Hell, even if they only succeed in building a Braves-like dynasty, it'll be a step forward from the 1920-2004 era.

Despite the extra attention and emotional investment, I'll take this year's high expectations over being giddy last season because the Sox were actually playing .600 or .650 ball. I'd rather be angry about not playing to expectations than being happy because my team is exceeding low expectations.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)

You say you don't need the newsmedia's attention, but all you do is b**** about not having the newsmedia's attention. Are you capable of posting something without mentioning either the media or the cubs? :huh

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
You say you don't need the newsmedia's attention, but all you do is b**** about not having the newsmedia's attention. Are you capable of posting something without mentioning either the media or the cubs? :huh

YES, Your correct. I dont need the NewsMedia to tell me when to CHEER (suntimes article telling SOX fans to cheer for Frank Thomas-Ridiculous because noone even considered Booing him) Im independent and capable of formulating my own thoughts and Can/Will Cheer for the SOX without them prompting me to do so. Most SOX fans are similar in nature to myself (will boo/cheer when they feel like-dont need media prompting)

I think my expectations are higher this year, which leads to my frustration being much higher after games like last night's.

My problem is, when I think of "last year" I think about mostly the post-season. And let's face it, in the post-season 2005, the Sox were not only damn near perfect, they were miraculous. Now I want to see that level of play every day. I am slightly out of touch with reality, to say the least.

But it's NOT too much to ask that the defense improve, is it????

:headbang Absolutely true. I agree. Bravo.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
You say you don't need the newsmedia's attention.................

to translate, I DONT NEED the media telling me what to do. I just need them to report on the World Series Champion White Sox with the dignity and respect they deserve. Thats not too much to ask is it?

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
I was wondering if I'm just weird or are there others who are kind of experiencing what I am... I am far less interested in baseball this year. I think there are a few reasons for this. One, I think I'm kind of waiting til the NBA Finals are over before moving over to baseball. But the larger reason is I just still feel so damn content. Last year, I was White Sox baseball starting in like December, when I joined Soxtalk. I went to SOxfest for the first time, and I was really into it. But I remember the trading deadline last year and the empty feeling I had because I had decided that the Sox couldn't go all the way. Then the Sox actually do it and blow through the postseason, and something I really wasn't sure would ever happen in my life (I'm now 25) happened. Now I feel so content that I just don't have the same fire under my ass that I used to. Maybe I just have a hard time being a fan of a frontrunner?

I was wondering, does anyone else kind of feel the same way, maybe not to the same degree, but a little?

That's a great question, because after the Sox won it all, I thought I would care a lot less this year...even not watch baseball that much. But, that hasn't been the case at all. I'm still checking the scores all the time, watching when they're on 'GN and getting pissed as hell at losses like last night. I thought it would be different. One thing, though, slumps like we had been in recently are a little easier to swallow, because at least we finally have the World Championship that had eluded us for so long.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
I wish I were like that. Before last year, I always said that I'd be so numb after a World Series victory, that I'd be completely fine with an 0-162 season the following year.

I lied. I want another one bad.

I was in the same boat. I thought if they just won once, I wouldn't care if they lost 100 games a year for the next 10 years. Maybe its because they won, something I probably never thought could happen in my lifetime, so now I see it is possible, and the little mistakes seem to irritate me even more than before. I see sellouts against the Detroit Tigers in the middle of the week while school is still going on for many, and I still don't know if reality has set in with me. Of course, my wife will tell you reality has never set in with me about anything.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
to translate, I DONT NEED the media telling me what to do. I just need them to report on the World Series Champion White Sox with the dignity and respect they deserve. Thats not too much to ask is it?

They did that and you still aren't satisfied. Why do you need someone to constantly reassure you of something? Can't you think on your own instead of needing somebody to tell you through a newspaper that what you like is acceptable to them?

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
They did that and you still aren't satisfied. Why do you need someone to constantly reassure you of something? Can't you think on your own instead of needing somebody to tell you through a newspaper that what you like is acceptable to them?

In Short ... Yes, I can think on my own (stated that in previous post, you mustve MISSED it) and

Yes, Id love it if a newspaper can just report the news to me instead of telling me what I like isnt that good.

Id love it if they would constantly do it, but that probably wont happen. I'll settle for fair coverage. But then again, why are the rules changed just because we won it all?

My feelings are different. Last night, I was at the game, and instead of hanging on every pitch... or flipping out about Garland giving up bombs... I was relaxed.

I looked around at a sellout on Thursday night, saw the amazing banners of the World Championship. I've come down from the ledge.

Instead of expecting the White Sox to blow it, I always feel like they are right where they need to be. They are playing pretty bad baseball right now, and still have the 2nd best record in baseball. How funny is that?

As the season wears on, I'm sure I will hang more on wins and losses.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
In Short ... Yes, I can think on my own (stated that in previous post, you mustve MISSED it) and

Yes, Id love it if a newspaper can just report the news to me instead of telling me what I like isnt that good.

Id love it if they would constantly do it, but that probably wont happen. I'll settle for fair coverage. But then again, why are the rules changed just because we won it all?

What rules? Could you please provide the link to the rules you are talking about? And if you need a paper to report what you like is good, then yes, you need someone to reassure you that you like the right thing.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
What rules? Could you please provide the link to the rules you are talking about?

The "rules". The unspoken code by which the Chicago Media determines which team to cover the most.

We've been told its everything from "whos winning" to "whos more popular" to "whats the bigger story"

to "well they have more fans". Youve never heard of this? send an email to anyone in the media,

you'll get one of those stock answers. Morrissey a jackass about it. He said also said they had more fans, thats why they get more coverage.

I'm a big UNC fan (like palehose) and after we had that magical season 2004-2005 season breaking the hearts of many of you here all you Fighting Illini fans :) my love for the Heels and passion was sort of lost and I HATE THAT I cant be as passionate for Carolina basletball as I once was, but it is because I am content...now this ballclub here is a whole other story, I still live and by this time just like last year thankfully and want another ring extremely bad

I think the combination of the fact that we won it all last year (which is new for us), us being so damn talented this year and a team that can repeat, and all the new fans and attention have created a perfect storm to make us as a fanbase as bitter as ever. It's not "we haven't won in 88 years" bitter though, it's more like "what the hell, we won it all last year, we should win every day with this team since it's more talented" bitter. And also, the fact we honestly haven't played well this year and are still 36-23 makes things weird. This team has played a lot of bad baseball, but is still 36-23, a record that almost any other year we'd be THRILLED to have right now, which is another odd dynamic.