Hendrickson to Dodgers

DBAHO

In quite a few papers tonight;

Following Monday night's game, an 8-2 loss to the Minnesota Twins in front of 22,528 at the Metrodome, the Dodgers appeared close to acquiring Tampa Bay left-hander Mark Hendrickson. The deal also is believed to involve a swap of catchers, with Dioner Navarro going to the Devil Rays for Toby Hall.

Hall didn't play Monday night at Florida. Backup Josh Paul made his second consecutive start for the Devil Rays behind the plate, something a source close to the club called "highly unusual." There was one report that both Hendrickson and Hall were told before the Devil Rays' game that they had been traded to the Dodgers, but that is unconfirmed.

Interesting move. The Dodgers need help in the rotation and Hendrickson is a pretty damn solid lefty who should be better in the NL. Plus Seo has really struggled with the Dodgers, but he's decent enough that he should help the Rays.

Navarro fell out of love in LA, but he's still pretty talented and has a better long term future than Toby Hall (is Hall going to get many starts when the Dodgers have Martin doing a pretty damn good job??).

This is a really good move by the Rays since Seo career wise is just as good as Hendrickson (plus a bit younger) and Navarro is a pretty good catching prospect (just the Dodgers could afford to give him up with Martin really looking legit).

Dodgers needed a starter and Hendy is hot this year while the Rays get some pretty good help. I actually think the Dodgers overpaid a bit, but when you need a starter you need a starter.

wasnt navarro suppose to be the stud prospect in that big unit trade??

He hasnt done anything and now he is stuck with one of the most losingest teams ever year (that division is nails with yanks, bosoxs, and diamondbacks)

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
wasnt navarro suppose to be the stud prospect in that big unit trade??

He hasnt done anything and now he is stuck with one of the most losingest teams ever year (that division is nails with yanks, bosoxs, and diamondbacks)

The Dodgers pried him from the Yanks when they got involved in the Shawn Green trade (yes the Big Unit trade). They insisted on getting him and finally got him once that deal went through (Javier was supposed to be headed to the Dodgers, but than he wouldn't go, so he stayed in Arizona.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
I thought that Navarro was supposed to be AWESOME.

How'd the Dodgers part with him for so little in return from TB?

Navarro got injured, Martin took over, did better than expected, so the Dodgers couldn't really demote Martin.

TB did very well here. Hendrickson's track record over the past few seasons not including this one is very average to say the least.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
Navarro got injured, Martin took over, did better than expected, so the Dodgers couldn't really demote Martin.

TB did very well here. Hendrickson's track record over the past few seasons not including this one is very average to say the least.

I think both teams did pretty solid in this deal. The Drays got a nice young catcher and Seo isn't horrible(though he's been bad this year). I like what the Dodgers did too though. They might have overpaid a bit but Hendrickson is having a pretty solid season and with that division being wide open and L.A. really needing a starter this could put them over the top for now.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
I think both teams did pretty solid in this deal. The Drays got a nice young catcher and Seo isn't horrible(though he's been bad this year). I like what the Dodgers did too though. They might have overpaid a bit but Hendrickson is having a pretty solid season and with that division being wide open and L.A. really needing a starter this could put them over the top for now.

I can't see Hendrickson's good season continuing however. If you look at his numbers, he's not a high K guy at all, and eventually I think his BAA is going to high from .241 to his career norm of .291.

Although his away numbers are better this season. It will be interesting to see how he does in the NL for the 1st time.