What was the worst trade in baseball history?

thedoctor

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
the 2004 Marlins-Dodgers trade was about as pointless as you could get.

The Dodgers got rid of Mota (who turned into s*** for the next 1.5 years with the Marlins,) their "heart and soul" Paul Lo Duca (traded away for scraps this past offseason,) and Juan Encarnacion (who was traded to the Dodgers in the offseason.)

The Marlins got rid of Hee Flop Choi (who was acquired 8 months before that and had one hot month. Claimed off waivers last offseason,) Brad Penny (Pitched 3 games for them spanning less than 12 innings and even lost on a 2 hitter,) and Bill Murphy (who was later used to get Steve Finley.)

The Marlins flopped, got nothing in return this past offseason for Mota, Lo Duca or Encarnacion.

The Dodgers nearly missed the playoffs, and Paul Depodesta was fired after the 2005 season.

Tell that to the Dodgers now, Brad Penny is the ace of there staff and is one of the best pitchers in the NL. The Marlins on the other hand got fleeced since they really didn't use much any of those guys with LoDuca going to New York (did they actually give up Gaby Hernandez for LoDuca, I was thinking Hernandez was part of the Delgado deal???), Encarnacion leaving, and well we know Mota really blew up (Mota was more of a throw in as opposed to the key cog to get Hanley Ramirez, imo).

They also got some draft picks eventually for Steve Finley (IIRC).

That was a great trade for the Dodgers and I think anyone in the org would say that as well, just watch what Penny is doing.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Mota did not land Ramirez. He was just a late addition salary dump for yet another minor leaguer.

For Penny, I was just looking at 2004 BEFORE he signed his contract extension.

Finley was not offered arbitration, so they didn't get s*** for him. (Although that walk off grand slam to win the division was pretty cool.)

http://www.thediamondangle.com/2005season/previews/lad.html

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 05:20 AM)
(did they actually give up Gaby Hernandez for LoDuca, I was thinking Hernandez was part of the Delgado deal???), Encarnacion leaving, and well we know Mota really blew up (Mota was more of a throw in as opposed to the key cog to get Hanley Ramirez, imo).

Lo Duca for Hernandez and Brinkley

The Delgado trade was Petit and Jacobs going to Florida.

And while I would agree that Mota was more of a salary dump too, he was part of the trade...they were probably more happy just to get rid of him than anything else though.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
I cant believe nobody is giving this trade any love.

It's a horrible trade; it's not the worst trade ever. Atleast Neifi played with the Royals and was semi productive. How would you feel if you are the Astros or the Marlins and you let Johan Santana go for nothing?

July 2, 1995: Signed by the Houston Astros as an amateur free agent.

December 13, 1999: Drafted by the Florida Marlins from the Houston Astros in the 1999 rule V draft.

December 13, 1999: Traded by the Florida Marlins to the Minnesota Twins for Jared Camp (minors) and cash.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
How about Pierzynski for Liriano/Nathan/Bonser or whatever garbage the Red Sox gave the Diamonbacks for Schilling.

seriously the twins raped the giants in that trade. In the future i wouldn't be surprised if that goes down in the top 5 as if it isn't already incredibly apparent that twins got away with murder.

not one of the worst trades, but a productive trade was the Chuck Knoblauch trade

Knoblauch to the Yankees for Eric Milton, Brian Buchanan, Cristian Guzman, and Danny Mota

Milton was then spun off the the Phillies for Carlos Silva and Nick Punto

Brain Buchanan was traded to the Padres for Jason Bartlett (who at the time was a low prospect)