Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
Since he thinks Americans shouldnt talk about soccer, maybe he shouldnt talk about baseball anymore since he wants to claim Serbia..

That's fine. Do you prefer I leave the board?

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
Eh I'd say Rugby's actually thr #3 sport in Australia now (behind Australian Rules Football and Soccer which has exploded down here since the last World Cup when we made the 2nd round).

No no, danman knows more about Australia than you. Get over yourself.

Eh I'd say Rugby's actually thr #3 sport in Australia now (behind Australian Rules Football and Soccer which has exploded down here since the last World Cup when we made the 2nd round).

Interesting. Either way, soccer isn't #1. It's hard to watch rugby after Aussie Rules. It's a pretty badass sport actually.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
Just from an outsider's point of view, the LA fans come out looking like idiots in this, and it probably makes players from Europe like Freddie Ljungberg who come to the US think twice if they are potentially going to be treated like this, which is definitely not what the MLS needs.

I agree, but I think the impression has to be positive for Ljungberg. The fans in Seattle have been great for that team. MLS will get bigger and better. Right now, it's a matter of depth. They need to get better at keeping guys from going to League One in England or the Scandinavian leagues (which a lot have been doing) because while those players might get more exposure from better teams in Europe, it hurts MLS.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
Interesting. Either way, soccer isn't #1. It's hard to watch rugby after Aussie Rules. It's a pretty badass sport actually.

I agree, but I think the impression has to be positive for Ljungberg. The fans in Seattle have been great for that team. MLS will get bigger and better. Right now, it's a matter of depth. They need to get better at keeping guys from going to League One in England or the Scandinavian leagues (which a lot have been doing) because while those players might get more exposure from better teams in Europe, it hurts MLS.

Oh ya right now Seattle is the best market for Soccer in America, and I applaud what they've done so far. They sold out QWEST Field for the friendly against Chelsea the other week.

I think long - term, teams need to strike up partnerships with the top teams in Europe, and try to get the best young players on loan or something for a season or 2, to improve the standard of play in the league.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
Mexico just got a penalty where their guy was actually the one to commit the foul. Awful.

That was f***in bs, and then we just give up. W/e Congrats Mexico, you're B squad can beat our B/C squad.

Can't wait til August 12th to resume WCQ games. Go Yanks!

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
Somehow I believe you wouldnt be posting on this game had the US won. So we basically have a mod trolling now.

Get over it. I rarely post about US soccer. All throughout the tournament, the US was awesome and they rocked and yadda yadda but you get your asses handed to you and respond with "Congrats, your b-team beat out b/c team." GMAB.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
Get over it. I rarely post about US soccer. All throughout the tournament, the US was awesome and they rocked and yadda yadda but you get your asses handed to you and respond with "Congrats, your b-team beat out b/c team." GMAB.

Well in the big picture this game means jack s***. None of the players that started for the US will start in the WC and a lot of them won't even be on the roster.

Japan,the Koreas,Hong Kong,Taiwan etc prefer baseball.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
Well in the big picture this game means jack s***. None of the players that started for the US will start in the WC and a lot of them won't even be on the roster.

OK,so what you are basically saying is that playing for national pride means nothing since this doesn't count for nothing in the big picture,hmmmmm

If the USA b/c team would've beaten Mexico's youngsters by that same score I highly doubt that would be the sentiment here,you got your asses handed to you at home,own up to it.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
OK,so what you are basically saying is that playing for national pride means nothing since this doesn't count for nothing in the big picture,hmmmmm

If the USA b/c team would've beaten Mexico's youngsters by that same score I highly doubt that would be the sentiment here,you got your asses handed to you at home,own up to it.

Well yes it counted for pride, but this group of players clearly gave up after that bulls*** penalty kick goal. I'm pissed how easy they let mexico win the game. Congrats on the win, but in reality the Mexican B team beat the US B team. This doesn't prove that the Mexican A team would beat the United States A team. Win or lose for either team, the game didn't change the attitude of the fans towards their side.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)

Anytime its USA/Mexico on a soccer field then of course national pride means everything. Only reason this game was important was because of who played. If it was USA vs Costa Rica and if we won or loss who really cares. It wasnt a important tournament this year but since it was a loss to Mexico at home it stings. Since we rolled over and quit after it was 2-0 that is even worse.

This was a very big win for FMF. It wasnt the "A" teams but the past few months have been tough for the Mexican side and winning this tournament generates a lot of good vibes going into the final stretch of WCQ's. Guess we'll find out Aug. 12 what today's match really meant for both sides.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)

All throughout the tournament? Go back and read the last 4-5 pages and point out where everyone is saying how great the US has looked and "yadda yadda". Outside of the first game where myself and a couple of others said we looked nice then there isnt anything like that at all. That was 5 games ago. No reason to make s*** up.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
All throughout the tournament? Go back and read the last 4-5 pages and point out where everyone is saying how great the US has looked and "yadda yadda". Outside of the first game where myself and a couple of others said we looked nice then there isnt anything like that at all. That was 5 games ago. No reason to make s*** up.

I wasn't referring to just this message board. It seems to be the consensus amongst a lot of "fans" I know. Even in A-team national play, it seems like everyone gets fired up when they beat Bermuda and Nicaragua, etc. There's a reason why the US is relatively high in FIFA rankings. The CONCACAF sucks. Where would they ranked if they were in the UEFA? The US is the only country from CONCACAF in the top 30.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think everyone was pumped for this tournament and for this match specifically.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
You're kidding yourself if you don't think everyone was pumped for this tournament and for this match specifically.

It wasn't on English TV other than FSC, which very few get. I don't think people were pumped for it. Maybe a little for this match, but not the whole tournament.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
It wasn't on English TV other than FSC, which very few get. I don't think people were pumped for it. Maybe a little for this match, but not the whole tournament.

I'm fairy sure a lot of people get FSC. And certainly everyone in Chicago gets Telemundo.

Got a chance to watch the game because my cousin DVRed it,I agree with sonik22 and zenryan that Team USA just didn't put up any resistance the last 20 mins of the game which is embarrassing and if I'm the USA coach I'll make sure to never call up those guys who quit in the game...

It does set up a interesting match in Mexico City in August though.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
I'm fairy sure a lot of people get FSC. And certainly everyone in Chicago gets Telemundo.

Depends on your definition of a lot of people. You need to buy the sports package just to get in on Comcast. That's going to eliminate an overwhelming majority of people.

Yes I know it was on Telemundo and Univision, but if you were willing to watch in Spanish without speaking Spanish I don't think you are the type of fan that is going to classify the country as 'pumped' by watching. To say everyone was pumped is reaching. All this coming from the guy who said the US shouldn't play or talk about soccer and they are the only country to not care about it, but everyone was pumped. Those 2 things don't match.