LA Angels

VAfan

With Jered Weaver and now Colon coming back into their rotation, and the promotion of some of their young guys clearing out unproductive aging veterans, I think the Angels are going to quickly catapult themselves past Seattle and Texas and be in a dogfight with the A's for the division title.

The only relevance for us is that we will probably face the winner of the AL West in the first round of the playoffs.

I suppose it will ultimately depend on whether Bill Stoneman decides to try and acquire an impact bat for that middle of the lineup.

Would have to give up some great prospects to do so though.

think they would be interested in Soriano? if they did that they would prolly then have the weakest D in the OF in all of baseball. They've definatly got the prospects to get him.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
Abreu is a better fit than Soriano. I'm not Mr. OBP but they really don't have enough to be passable. Vlad's reputation now exceeds his production. THey are desperate for an impact bat behind him

Supposedly Philly asked for Ervin Santana for Abreu. I believe I heard the laughter from that one all the way up here in Pasadena.

The Angels are only 2 games out. Oakland has scored fewer runs than it has given up. I don't think the Angels need to add any trade pieces to win the West now that they have fixed their rotation. And, frankly, I hope they don't add any pieces, since they will likely be our first round playoff opponent, but with much better pitching than they had last year -- Colon, Lackey, the better Weaver, Santana.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
The Angels are only 2 games out. Oakland has scored fewer runs than it has given up. I don't think the Angels need to add any trade pieces to win the West now that they have fixed their rotation. And, frankly, I hope they don't add any pieces, since they will likely be our first round playoff opponent, but with much better pitching than they had last year -- Colon, Lackey, the better Weaver, Santana.

You're assuming we win the division, right? Wouldn't The Tigers play the Angels if they won the central?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
You're assuming we win the division, right? Wouldn't The Tigers play the Angels if they won the central?

Most likely, yes. Unless the Angels were some how to catch up to Boston(not happening) and become the 2 "seed" in the al.

Stoneman may just very well decide, with the price likely to be so high for the likes of Abreu and Soriano, to ride it out with the likes of Anderson and Morales and just hope they improve in the 2nd half.

Suddenly though, their rotation looks real good, with Weaver, Lackey and Santana performing well, Colon's back off the DL, and Escobar doing a solid job as well.