Page 2 article on Jenks

GoRowand33

I had a friend in grad school whose background was similar to Bobby's: Grew up in a town with one stoplight, drank like a fiend (had one DUI that I knew of), chewed tobacco, drove a pickup, jokingly referred to one of our mutual friends (a Palestinian) as "terrorist", etc. He was definitely rough around the edges, but he was in no way, shape, or form a racist.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Beltin @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
I actually bike to work from Oak Park to the West Loop everyday. The ride in is usually quiet but the ride home down Washington can get a little tense from Laramie until Austin. I am too highbrow to be white trash but "white boy" is sometimes a term of endearment that I hear. Not a really comfortable situation but I would not put it on par with the organized, institutional racism that became entrenched in our society since the slave trade was revived in the 1500s.

Exactly. If you're White, you have had the socioeconomic advantage (will anyone even dispute that?) for the past 500 years or so. Don't ignore it, but don't make so called "reverse racism" into some rallying cry about double standards.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Exactly. If you're White, you have had the socioeconomic advantage (will anyone even dispute that?) for the past 500 years or so. Don't ignore it, but don't make so called "reverse racism" into some rallying cry about double standards.

The Caucasians who had the "socioeconomic advantage" did so 30-500 years ago. Those that you're speaking with now most likely did not. "Reverse racism" is a legitimate issue today and shouldn't be dismissed.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
The Caucasians who had the "socioeconomic advantage" did so 30-500 years ago. Those that you're speaking with now most likely did not. "Reverse racism" is a legitimate issue today and shouldn't be dismissed.

Whites still have a definite socioeconomic advantage... its not as entranched as it once was... but its still there. It takes more then a few supreme court rulings and legislative band aids to erase the damage done by hundreds of years of slavery.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
well, i think we can all i agree the article was a bulls*** cheap shot at Jenks.

I don't think the 03' article was crap, assuming those were actual quotes by Jenks about the self-mutilation.

You have to admit (despite our love for Bobby now), that at the time, that was a tremendous story. Are you telling me that if that article came out now, about an Angel's prospect, you wouldn't find that extremely interesting?

I don't think he portrayed Bobby as anything other than tragic, which, if he hadn't turned things around, they would have stayed.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
it appears to me that the guy is saying Jenks in fact, is not a racist or anything else horrible.

Thats what I thought too when I first read it (and still think now). I feel as if I missed the part where he says that Jenks is a racist etc.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
I don't think the 03' article was crap, assuming those were actual quotes by Jenks about the self-mutilation were correct.

i thought they were both bs. but thats just me. edited my previous post, i guess some of you guys think they were both fair.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
i thought they were both bs. but thats just me. edited my previous post, i guess some of you guys think they were both fair.

I think this latest one is garbage. It says absolutely nothing.

From what I understand, as well as what I have observed, Bobby has been on his best behavior for the tremendous amount of success which he has achieved in just the past 12 months or so. The real story now is not to drag his checkered past up again without reason, but rather to celebrate that he has overcome it.

The article which portrayed that some 6 months ago was a much more appropriate piece than this last one.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
I think this latest one is garbage. It says absolutely nothing.

From what I understand, as well as what I have observed, Bobby has been on his best behavior for the tremendous amount of success which he has achieved in just the past 12 months or so. The real story now is not to drag his checkered past up again without reason, but rather to celebrate that he has overcome it.

The article which portrayed that some 6 months ago was a much more appropriate piece than this last one.

thats definately a fair assesment. the earlier article seemed to use a lot of hear-say, even if some of it is true the guy was a kid when most of the stuff happened. not so sure i would write an article like that about someone who's 17 or 18 and grown up in a situation like that.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
thats definately a fair assesment. the earlier article seemed to use a lot of hear-say, even if some of it is true the guy was a kid when most of the stuff happened. not so sure i would write an article like that about someone who's 17 or 18 and grown up in a situation like that.

And in 20 years...he can run for President!

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
And which of these "actions" contributed to the rumors of Bobby being a white supremacist? The fact that he lived in rural Idaho, drove a pickup truck, and listened to the Charlie Daniels Band? Or the fact that somebody heard him use a racial slur? Because if he did use the term "dirty Jew", he MUST be a white supremacist! :rolly

His appearance for starters. 10 years ago a guy with a shaved head and a "KMA" attitued WAS labeled with the "skinhead" title. Jus like today when a kid wears too much black they just must be a goth devil worshiper. And again, his former agent asked him, Bobby responded with a comment that IMO suggested it wasn't the first time he was asked that, and it was over.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
I had a friend in grad school whose background was similar to Bobby's: Grew up in a town with one stoplight, drank like a fiend (had one DUI that I knew of), chewed tobacco, drove a pickup, jokingly referred to one of our mutual friends (a Palestinian) as "terrorist", etc. He was definitely rough around the edges, but he was in no way, shape, or form a racist.

Thank you for proving my point, and answering your own question in the previous post to me. Because of your friends actions and appearance he was labeled. It happens.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
Thats what I thought too when I first read it (and still think now). I feel as if I missed the part where he says that Jenks is a racist etc.

^^.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
Whites still have a definite socioeconomic advantage... its not as entranched as it once was... but its still there. It takes more then a few supreme court rulings and legislative band aids to erase the damage done by hundreds of years of slavery.

Right on....Reparations now!!

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)

That is BS, it is a known fact that blacks get jobs over whites even when the white person is more qualified. Have you ever heard of affrimative action. Blacks only make up around 13% of the population, yet in any public jobs (politics and personel sports jobs for the most part) they hold a lot higher percentage of the jobs than 13%