Garcia/Garland to the mets?

beautox

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
Well then he's going to go into the playoffs with a battered Pedro Martinez, an old Tom Glavine, and barely anyone else behind him.

It's not like the Mets are in a position of power here. The White Sox are. You saw what the Reds did yesterday to acquire needs, the Mets and Omar Minaya certainly will do the same.

thats exactly right, and that is what i think kenny is doing, hes creating a market for garcia or vazquez by calling the phillies, mets, rangers etc and spreading the word that these guys are available....thats what happened last year with burnett, since either of those two starters will likely be the best available starter, there will be 12 teams interested and hopefully kenny can start a bidding war, getting a good pen arm and some prospects while bmac moves into the rotation

Well then he's going to go into the playoffs with a battered Pedro Martinez, an old Tom Glavine, and barely anyone else behind him.

It's not like the Mets are in a position of power here. The White Sox are. You saw what the Reds did yesterday to acquire needs, the Mets and Omar Minaya certainly will do the same.

I'm sure Kenny will try to get Lastings if at all possible but it's not possible. It's been said numerous times that Milledge isn't going anywhere and he especially isn't going to be traded for a pitcher who has been very average this season.

It's a no brainer, lose the goggles, agreeing with me doesn't mean the sky will fall.

Omar Minaya has made worse trades in his career than Milledge, Sanchez for Garcia. That Bartolo Colon deal at the deadline was assanine.

He's a terrible general manager, always has been, always will be.

If there is a bidding war, he'll be the one to cave.

One National League team will become very desperate at the trading deadline and overpay for Garcia/Vazquez. Why shouldn't they? Any team in contention has a chance at the pennant, and one of our starters would increase their chances. Now it's just waiting and seeing what we can get in return.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
Minaya wouldn't trade Milledge for Zito. Why would he trade him for 2 guys that are considerably worse than Zito?

Well, first of all we don't know that he wouldn't make that deal and that it wasn't Billy Beane hesitating, but more importantly, the Mets are now closer to the playoffs than they were when Zito might have been available, and the Mets' starting pitching looks much shakier than it did 2 months ago as well, especially with Pedro looking banged up more, and Glavine falling back from the high he started the season on. In May, when Oakland was still struggling, Minaya might have been able to make himself believe he could get by with 2 starters. That looks much less likely today.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure Kenny will try to get Lastings if at all possible but it's not possible. It's been said numerous times that Milledge isn't going anywhere and he especially isn't going to be traded for a pitcher who has been very average this season.

Saying Lastings Milledge isn't available for Barry Zito is just ridiculous. That was an outburst after New York fans were calling for his head after the two errors he made in Fenway.

If it nets them Zito, or better yet, a player whose going to be under contract next year ala Javier Vazquez or Freddy Garcia, Milledge will probably be available.

The Mets also got burned trading a phenom for a wash-up pitcher in 2004. Believe me, it will take more than Freddy Garcia to get Milledge away from the Mets, and if Milledge is available, there will be teams willing to part with pitchers more attractive than Garcia to acquire him.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
Minaya wouldn't trade Milledge for Zito. Why would he trade him for 2 guys that are considerably worse than Zito?

because for as young as that mets offense is with reyes beltran and wright, glavine pedro and wagner are all nearing the end, as the deadline comes, teams get more desperate, minaya didnt know how good his team would be when he was looking at zito, now he knows, and he knows what he needs, and if he can get anotehr starter his team can truly contend with teh AL heavyweights....if he wants that starter, the best hes gonna do is garcia, cuz zito isnt gonna be traded, and i dont think schmidt will either

edit: that said i do not think they will give up milledge, but its certainly a possibility

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
yeah i agree with you...i think they can do better

Unless the sox are using the Mets as a way to up the bidding. The mets may have to include Milledge in the deal, or go to another NL team. I don't see the Sox trading w/ the AL teams. Heilman or Sanchez alone won't cut it by a mile.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mets also got burned trading a phenom for a wash-up pitcher in 2004. Believe me, it will take more than Freddy Garcia to get Milledge away from the Mets, and if Milledge is available, there will be teams willing to part with pitchers more attractive than Garcia to acquire him.

No, there won't be.

Who is of more value than Freddy Garcia or Javier Vazquez?

Zito isn't moving, Willis isn't moving. So who on earth are you referring to?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Any trade we make that gets rid of Garcia would be terrific! He's so washed-up, and it wouldn't shock me if his ERA reaches 6 by the end of the season. We'd be a better team with McCarthy in the rotation and adding another reliever.

and not only that but dropping the 10 mil garcia is owed next year would free up some money to patch up some holes this offseason

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Any trade we make that gets rid of Garcia would be terrific! He's so washed-up, and it wouldn't shock me if his ERA reaches 6 by the end of the season. We'd be a better team with McCarthy in the rotation and adding another reliever.

I don't know if it's the fact that he's washed up or that he really doesn't want to throw his fastball anymore. If it's the latter, then I want him gone and this is coming from a huge Freddy Garcia fan. He's not even a great pitcher in day games or in big games anymore when last year, he was always good for that.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I don't know if it's the fact that he's washed up or that he really doesn't want to throw his fastball anymore. If it's the latter, then I want him gone and this is coming from a huge Freddy Garcia fan. He's not even a great pitcher in day games or in big games anymore when last year, he was always good for that.

I think Freddy wants to throw his fastball, he just can't.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)

Well, about the only team I could see actually being able to say that might be the Nationals with Livan Hernandez, who interestingly enough has an ERA of about 6 in the NL this year. Maybe the Marlins with D-Train, but I think they'll still hold onto him as good as they've looked this year. Maybe the Braves with Smoltz, but they really don't have room for Milledge in their outfield with Francoeur.

Look up and down the list...almost every team in contention needs pitching to make a run. Boston, NY, Toronto, Detroit, Minnesota, Texas, The Mets, the Cardinals, the Brewers, the Reds, the Padres, the Rockies, the Giants, all of them could use another starting pitcher.

The only teams in contention with enough starting pitching on paper IMO are the A's, the Halos, maybe Houston, and the White Sox. And the A's and Halos are in no position to deal away starting pitching unless they're white flagging this whole season. The White Sox are about the only team who is in a position to give away a genuinely top of the rotation starting pitcher, as we have BMac sitting around waiting. Everyone else needs pitching, and the teams at the bottom of the league, aside from Florida, don't have arms nearly as good as Vazquez/Garcia could be.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
No, there won't be.

Who is of more value than Freddy Garcia or Javier Vazquez?

Zito isn't moving, Willis isn't moving. So who on earth are you referring to?

From everything I read, Zito would be available provided you gave Beane the right combo of players. Schmidt also might be available.

Regardless, we are talking about Freddy Garcia. You might give him the tag of "best starting pitcher available" but that really is meaningless. We've both seen Garcia pitch for the entire season. There's no way in the world I would give up our best prospects (Anderson, Fields, McCarthy) to trade for him if some other GM made him available.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
This Garcia/Vaz to the Mets definitely seems to have some validity to it.

i think this is bulls***, east coast bias made-up. the mets have nothing that we need... we won't be getting beltran to play centerfield, we're not looking for prospects, and their pen is not that good.

i take no stock in this rumour.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Saying Lastings Milledge isn't available for Barry Zito is just ridiculous. That was an outburst after New York fans were calling for his head after the two errors he made in Fenway.

Just do a search on zito and milledge, and you'll find a slew of articles about just this from well before the Fenway series. So, no.