Garcia/Vazquez for Tom Gordon being discussed

southsider2k5

Gordon actually made a point of telling friends at the All-Star game that while he's enjoying Philly, he wouldn't mind returning to Chicago's South Side.

Where would he play? Seriously, though...Does that make Jenks the closer or Gordon the closer?

It makes sense if Gordon were to be traded off at the end of the season, after using him for just the second half and the playoffs. He's getting too old to keep around with that contract.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)

If there is one thing that all this talk shows, it's that every team in the majors can be a part of the trade deadline, as long as a team is able to trade players off their major league roster. No longer will a team out of playoff contention just trade for prospects. The sox are definitely ahead of the curve, with extra SP's and bench players who were regulars [Mackowiak and Cintron]. With guys locked up like Freddy and Javy, even mack, the sox have flexibility in trading more than others.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
Please tell me Garcia/Vazquez are worth more than this.

I'm assuming a midlevel prospect or two would be included. i.e.- A Sean Tracey type (as much as I despise calling old-man Tracey a prospect).

Edited by Contreras' Crew

QUOTE(Contreras @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Where would he play? Seriously, though...Does that make Jenks the closer or Gordon the closer?

It makes sense if Gordon were to be traded off at the end of the season, after using him for just the second half and the playoffs. He's getting too old to keep around with that contract.

Jenks would be the closer, Flash in set up

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Jenks would be the closer, Flash in set up

The nice thing about this is if Jenks pitches 2 or 3 games in a row, Gordon could be used to close it out. An All Star closer as a set-up man, and you probably have at least a 50/50 shot of improving the rotation by getting BMac in there in place of one of the bigger names. I think if this trade were to be made, there would also be something else that would probably come down.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
the risk to all this is if Garcia and Vasquez pitch like crap in there next outing. I am sure they aare reading the same crap we are. Its easy to get distracted especially in the NEw York press.

There is a pretty good chance they would pitch like crap anyway.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
i would love to have flash back. YOu could almost count on teams not scoring innings 7, 8, and 9.

If we were to move Bmac to the starting rotaion. We would need someone to be are long reliever. Tracey maybe.

fathom has a source that told him there are very long odds of Tracey pitching on a team managed by Ozzie Guillen ever again.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
I think if this trade were to be made, there would also be something else that would probably come down.

I agree. Getting a 5th SP like Tony Armas Jr would allow the sox to keep Bmac right in the bullpen until 2007 as well. Why mess with Bmac if getting Armas wouldn't cost that much [probably expendable guys like Haeger, Phillips]?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
I agree. Getting a 5th SP like Tony Armas Jr would allow the sox to keep Bmac right in the bullpen until 2007 as well. Why mess with Bmac if getting Armas wouldn't cost that much [probably expendable guys like Haeger, Phillips]?

Bmac>>>>>>>>>>>>Armas. Armas would get rocked here, no thanks.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)

i dont like armas too much, but whats great about haeger and phillips is that those guys have decent trade value, and virtually no value in our system right now, blocked by the guys at the show, and probably in a year or two will be behind broadway and mccullough

I would think if KW trades a starter is almost a lock BMac moves into the rotation. I would think if they did this deal fairly soon, they may call up a guy like Haeger to be the long man in the bullpen. If he could handle it, and if AJ can handle the knuckler fine, if not, a guy like Armas may make sense as a guy they could use in long relief.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
The real key to this is who would be our 5th starter? I wouldn't mind Brett Myers, even though he did what he did. At least a Gavin Floyd. What's Randy Wolf doing these days?

See...We've got this kid named McCarthy...

:bang

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
I thought both Garcia and Vazquez would be leaving. My impression of what Kenny is trying to do is trade for two bullpen arms.

If something happens, it'll be for one or the other..not both.

I thought both Garcia and Vazquez would be leaving. My impression of what Kenny is trying to do is trade for two bullpen arms.

I think it's going to be one or the other, not both.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Bmac>>>>>>>>>>>>Armas. Armas would get rocked here, no thanks.

I understand BMac is better than Armas. But if Armas could eat some innings, it would save Bmac the trouble of stretching out, possibly getting hurt. And the sox would still need another bullpen arm who could go 2 innings at a time during crunch time if Bmac goes to the rotation.

No. If Kenny did that, he'd be every bit the idiot Billy Beane calls him. That'd be ridiculous. If it happened, he'd have to make sure that the trade included someone who could wipe the drool off of his chin and tie his shoes for him. Everything has said one or the other, as it should be.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
I understand BMac is better than Armas. But if Armas could eat some innings, it would save Bmac the trouble of stretching out, possibly getting hurt. And the sox would still need another bullpen arm who could go 2 innings at a time during crunch time if Bmac goes to the rotation.

I really don't think it would take that long for Bmac to get stretched out. He just piched 4 innings 5 days and you give him about 2 starts in aaa and he should be ready to go. I don't want Tony Armas starting for the Sox when he's just going to get completely rocked. Anyways, the point of this trade would be to obviously get bullpen help but to also allow Brandon to start.