Would you trade Freddy?

whitesoxgt

Would anyone mind Freddy gettin traded?

ever since last year ive hoped the sox would just trade the guy

i know he played very good during the playoffs and contributed to the sox winning it all

but ive never liked the guy (as a player)

and now that hes lost his velocity i just think its time for this guy to move somewhere else

could it be possible for him to get traded?

knowing that him and ozzie r "family"

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
Heh. Who was that?

QUOTE(whitesoxgt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
Would anyone mind Freddy gettin traded?

ever since last year ive hoped the sox would just trade the guy

i know he played very good during the playoffs and contributed to the sox winning it all

but ive never liked the guy (as a player)

and now that hes lost his velocity i just think its time for this guy to move somewhere else

could it be possible for him to get traded?

knowing that him and ozzie r "family"

I'd vote against trading Freddy.

I remember in 2003 he had a very very bad stretch with Seattle where he got lit up start after start. Yet he pulled out of that spin quite nicely.

I realize he's thrown up a lot of junk lately, but I think when he's on, he's got the second best stuff on the staff behind only Contreras. And he's proven he can be a money pitcher. He won all three of his starts last offseason and never let the other team get the lead in any game.

I expect that somehow he's going to regain his form and will have several more very good years. Not 20-win seasons. But 15-17 win seasons. And he's young enough that he could win another 100 games in his career. There is no way that we could get fair value for him at this point.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
I'd vote against trading Freddy.

I remember in 2003 he had a very very bad stretch with Seattle where he got lit up start after start. Yet he pulled out of that spin quite nicely.

I realize he's thrown up a lot of junk lately, but I think when he's on, he's got the second best stuff on the staff behind only Contreras. And he's proven he can be a money pitcher. He won all three of his starts last offseason and never let the other team get the lead in any game.

I expect that somehow he's going to regain his form and will have several more very good years. Not 20-win seasons. But 15-17 win seasons. And he's young enough that he could win another 100 games in his career. There is no way that we could get fair value for him at this point.

When is he going to throw hard again. When I see him hit 91-94 from the start of the game, through the end for a few starts, then I will be on the Freddy is alright tour.

But ask yourself this. Freddy was almost traded in the offseason, and now is being dangled. Why? I think KW has a good idea of talent and what not to give up, and what to give up.

KW will do something.

San Diego could make sense for Freddy. They should be willing to part with Linebrink in order to a get a solid guy like Freddy [who will do better in the weaker NL, facing weak #8 hitters and the pitcher]. If SD can't get more offense, better to stock up on pitching.

Would KW do a deal of Freddy and a spare minor league part [Phillips, or Haeger] for Linebrink and a prospect? That deal would strengthen the rotation by putting a fresh BMac in the rotation, and the bullpen. Tracey could likely take over the long relief role/ short set up that BMac held.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)
San Diego could make sense for Freddy. They should be willing to part with Linebrink in order to a get a solid guy like Freddy [who will do better in the weaker NL, facing weak #8 hitters and the pitcher]. If SD can't get more offense, better to stock up on pitching.

Would KW do a deal of Freddy and a spare minor league part [Phillips, or Haeger] for Linebrink and a prospect? That deal would strengthen the rotation by putting a fresh BMac in the rotation, and the bullpen. Tracey could likely take over the long relief role/ short set up that BMac held.

I think Haeger should be considered more than just a spare minor league part. Just by considering his minor league numbers (and that some people say he could be in a lot of teams' rotations), he should have a little more value than just being a throw-in.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
I think Haeger should be considered more than just a spare minor league part. Just by considering his minor league numbers (and that some people say he could be in a lot of teams' rotations), he should have a little more value than just being a throw-in.

When I'm talking "spare parts" i mean guys who don't really fit with the sox but have decent upside. Haeger and his knuckleball are more valuable to other teams.

As far as what teams may overpay for Freddy [or meet the sox request for top talent], SD was looking into JEff Weaver, and have been mentioned as interested in Rodrigo Lopez. If they could get better than those two in Freddy, they may bite.

SD would move Clay Hensley to relief or back to AAA as his ERA has steadily been climbing the last month or so. Having PEavy, Chris Young, Freddy and Woody Williams in a short series would be solid.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I would not trade him, just because he has been sooo bad lately that you could not get good value for him. His arm is dead from throwing so much in the last year. I just dont see the Sox getting of good value back trading him right now.

I dont buy this excuse. Roy Oswalt also threw over 240 innings last year and pitched just as long as our starters into the world series. Guess what, he still throws the ball hard.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I would not trade him, just because he has been sooo bad lately that you could not get good value for him. His arm is dead from throwing so much in the last year. I just dont see the Sox getting of good value back trading him right now.

But he also did not prepare for and then pitch in the WBC, it may be just an excuse, but that is alot extra miles on the arm of a guy not used to pitching that much. I am not saying it is OK, I am just saying that everyone in baseball knows that his velocity has dropped and that he hasnt really compensated for that. Therefore there is no GM in his right mind that will give up anything of value to pick him up. But that being said, maybe KW should give Hendry a call.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
I dont buy this excuse. Roy Oswalt also threw over 240 innings last year and pitched just as long as our starters into the world series. Guess what, he still throws the ball hard.

Id say Roy Oswalt is better than all our starters too even Contreras... also he did miss some time this season for injury right? And you cant count Clemens because he got hurt in the WS and took first half of season off. And look at Andy Petitte isnt he having a miserable year? Also hasnt Brandon Backe missed some time because of injury this season as well? Yeah Id say the Astro's pitching has suffered as well.

The good thing is though, if we go deep into the playoffs this season as well I think our pitchers will be more used to having to pitch the extra inning's and we will see them perform back to normal next season. A course they also could be even more worned out and be even worse but....