White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(Chopper2Hopper @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Carlos Lee has now been mentioned on the Score as another trade rumor???!!!

I think I can say with relative certainty that Carlos Lee will never play for the Sox again as long as KW and Ozzie are around.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
You terribly overrate Lumsden.

He's 23 and in AA, so he's not exactly young for his level.

His ERA is good (2.69), but it hides weak peripheral numbers. Three of the strongest predictors of future major league success for minor league pitchers are:

1) Strikeout rate

2) K/BB ratio

3) HRs allowed

Despite Lumsden's supposedly awesome stuff, his k rate/9 IPs is well below avergae (5.23) for a "big time" prospect.

His K/BB rate is also below average: 1.8

Finally, he's given up 9 HRs in 123.2 IPs, which is just OK.

We did not trade away Scott Kazmir, here.

Cortes has a 4.01 ERA in low-A ball, so he shouldn't even enter into the duscussion.

Great trade KW: Shipping away an overrated minor league for a major league ready reliever with great stuff, who is under our control through 2009.

that HR rate....is actually quite good.....your arguement should cneter more around the fact that the hoover met plays like petco...and thats could be a reason for the low HRs

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Since the flurry of reporting on this issue about an hour and a half ago, has anyone heard anything else on this rumor? Score? AM1000? ESPN? National Inquirer?

lol, thanks for asking, I'm stuck at work with no radio so I'm wondering too. Last I saw on espn.com it has "close to" acquiring

I read earlier that Offman said it's not as close as being reported, and didn't hear what Levine or any national reporters have said

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
My only contention with this idea is that KW was able to wheel and deal and completely reinvent the team from chump-also ran for four years in the central into WS champions in ONE offseason.

If KW thinks some bang/bang trades are necessary to shore up this club for now, 2006, then I trust him. If he thought things were fine as-is, he'd leave things. Everybody was on his ass last year to get Griffey and when he didn't the Mariottis of the world came down on him; trading for only journeyman Blum.

Well, we all know how that turned out, and didn't Blum end up having the last laugh in Houston?

Obviously KW sees a very specific hole that he's trying to fill, and he must be pretty damn convinced if he's willing to trade away beloved B-Mac. In one week, we've seen Politte go, Widger get dumped and now this flurry.

I say GO KENNY GO. He wants us to win. Me too.

Last year I was screaming for KW to make a big move. I was 100% convinced that we did not have a WS caliber team. When he didn't do anything big, I was calling for his head and was super, extremely pissed. As it turned out... I was dead wrong. To me, all of this is very interesting and I still have my opinions of what we should and shouldn't do, but I think everything rides on our starting pitching. I don't think it makes sense to change anything in our rotation. We have so much invested in our starting pitching already. Basically, if our starting pitching isn't going to show up down the stretch and hopefully post-season, it's all for naught anyways.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
ummm....we wouldnt acquire macdougal unless we were about to trade someone from the pen, right? otherwise, bmac goes down, which isnt happening.

Tracey could be sent down and we could still keep McCarthy.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
the score just reported that the Sox are after Soriano and Carlos Lee!

So, this makes me think that KW is just trying to drive up the price more on those guys to keep them out of the AL central, since I think we all have doubts about why KW would take Lee back. Think the Brewers want Podsednik back?

lee makes absoulutly 0 sence. where the fish would he hit?

our line up would have to look something like this: (which is pretty odd)

1. iguchi ®

2. lee ®

3. thome (l)

4. konerko ®

5. dye ®

6. AJ (l)

7. crede ®

8. uribe ®

9. anderson ®

thats one odd lookin lineup to me.

QUOTE(beleiveinbrian44 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
if the trade does go down, espn said it would likely be brandon,they also said brian would play CF and pods would be 4th OF

4th OFer and designated pinch runner for thome/konerko

I'm warming more and more to the thought of Brandon leaving. It's time to spark this team. Brandon could have been a major cog in the rotation for years to come, but by no means is he an automatic Cy Young or anything of the sort. I'll support the move for Soriano and I'll support the non-move of standing pat.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
lee makes absoulutly 0 sence. where the fish would he hit?

our line up would have to look something like this: (which is pretty odd)

1. iguchi ®

2. lee ®

3. thome (l)

4. konerko ®

5. dye ®

6. AJ (l)

7. crede ®

8. uribe ®

9. anderson ®

thats one odd lookin lineup to me.

thats a lot of registered trademarks in one lineup

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
23 in AA? It says he went to college, not much besides.

His age isn't a concern as this is his first season in AA after missing all of last year because he had bone chips removed. He could have came back late last year but Lumsden and the Sox opted to be safe and have him sit out the full season.

He has a very good arm and even had success with the Sox during spring training. He is a very under-rated prospect in terms of national opinion although I could make a case for members of Soxtalk over-rating him a bit.

However, any way you shake it KW gave up two very good arms (ableit prospects, one of which is still insanely raw and wouldn't see the majors for at least another 2 to 3 seasons at best) for a guy that when healthy has one of the best arms in baseball (in terms of the pen).