What I have learned the last few weeks

tonyho7476

I said that if the Sox won the World Series I could be happy forever, and Ozzie could manage forever, even if the team sucked...and I guess I was wrong. I want it again just as bad. I thought we were going to be better than ever, and we are not. And the Tigers are just kicking everyone's ass and making me madder. That being said, we are the wild card leader, and I almost feel like we are in last place.

And judging from this board...last year was not enough for most of you. What is my point? I don't know. I want it again. Being at the World Series was so great last year.

So, Kenny, do what you need to do and Ozzie, get this team back on track. Tony wants to spend thousands of dollars again this off-season, on wonderful championship merchandise.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
I said that if the Sox won the World Series I could be happy forever, and Ozzie could manage forever, even if the team sucked...and I guess I was wrong. I want it again just as bad. I thought we were going to be better than ever, and we are not. And the Tigers are just kicking everyone's ass and making me madder. That being said, we are the wild card leader, and I almost feel like we are in last place.

And judging from this board...last year was not enough for most of you. What is my point? I don't know. I want it again. Being at the World Series was so great last year.

So, Kenny, do what you need to do and Ozzie, get this team back on track. Tony wants to spend thousands of dollars again this off-season, on wonderful championship merchandise.

Man, I swear some of you are reading my mind. I was talking about this with some fans by me,

and I said the Sox "honeymoon" will last (with the SOX continueing the way theyre playing) until Next Month

before we really start to hear the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs. I loved the WS, and Im sure SOX fans loved the World Series too, and the first thing I thought was I want ANOTHER ONE. Sure, its very tough to repeat, and this former co-worker told me "look how long it took", implying the fans will be more apologetic to the SOX. I said No they wouldnt, because THEY SHOULDVE been to the WS a Few Times now, weve been a good team for a while, this is the 1st time the SOX have made the effort to be good (repeat)

Look at the Attendance at the games (hahhahaa, I said Attendance!) the fans are coming in droves, enjoy the park etc. The Fans are reasonable right now, but continued crap on the field wont go over well, SOX fans want what they feel was "owed" them. 94. 2000. 03. 83.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. Last year was an unbelievable high. I have never been more excited about sports than when I heard Rooney's final pennant-clnching call for game 5 of the ALCS. The thing is, once the World Series was won, the letdown was huge. I went to Houston and sat in the stands and celebrated the victory as hard as anyone.

However, I have realized this year that devoting so much time, energy and emotion to a bunch of strangers who really don't care a ton about my success is a big waste of my life. Last year was great but I realized I should relax and enjoy the game of baseball more and stop letting the ups and down of the White Sox enter my state of being. The Sox were playing the Yankees 2 Sundays ago and I decided I could not watch the game or worry about the score that day. They ultimately lost, which is not material to my point. Whether they won or lost that game did not change the fact that I had one of the better Sundays in a while hanging out with my two sons in the backyard and enjoying the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer that the White Sox win it all. I just can't devote another 25 summers of my life willing the Sox to win another championship. It is just not worth it.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
I wish I shared your enthusiasm. Last year was an unbelievable high. I have never been more excited about sports than when I heard Rooney's final pennant-clnching call for game 5 of the ALCS. The thing is, once the World Series was won, the letdown was huge. I went to Houston and sat in the stands and celebrated the victory as hard as anyone.

However, I have realized this year that devoting so much time, energy and emotion to a bunch of strangers who really don't care a ton about my success is a big waste of my life. Last year was great but I realized I should relax and enjoy the game of baseball more and stop letting the ups and down of the White Sox enter my state of being. The Sox were playing the Yankees 2 Sundays ago and I decided I could not watch the game or worry about the score that day. They ultimately lost, which is not material to my point. Whether they won or lost that game did not change the fact that I had one of the better Sundays in a while hanging out with my two sons in the backyard and enjoying the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer that the White Sox win it all. I just can't devote another 25 summers of my life willing the Sox to win another championship. It is just not worth it.

good post

If a team is in rebuilding mode, I watch the games with a different mindset, but when we have a team with this type of talent, I expect the playoffs. At that point anything can happen but one thing I hate to see is a team that underachieves and thats exactly whats happening right now and its frustrating.

They have no positive thinking going on and are burying themselves deeper and deeper into a rut with every game. Somewhere along the line they will need some sort of a major momentum changer to help losen this team back up. THey had a swagger most of the year and thats been gone as of late and because of that everyone's pressing and struggling.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)

What he said. Well, except the stuff he did with his sons. I don't know his sons and was NOT invited to the day in the backyard. Not really upset about that...but to be thought about once in awhile might be nice.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
What he said. Well, except the stuff he did with his sons. I don't know his sons and was NOT invited to the day in the backyard. Not really upset about that...but to be thought about once in awhile might be nice.

Lol.

I always admired what San Antonio did after winning the championship. Poppovich (I think -- ?) refused to call his team champions, stating that it was a new year and a different team.

The obvious rebuttal is that it didn't help them win another. True, but they played well, played hard, and that was with a not-100% Tim Duncan. This Sox team has to figure out that they still have EVERYTHING to prove.

And that includes the management.

Maybe I'm a Cub fan, LOL, but I'm just not as upset about the recent pitfalls as I thought I'd be.

I'm disappointed, sure, because I want the Sox to do well - they're my team.

But I'm still enjoying last year's title, mostly because I didn't really think I'd ever see them win it all. I hoped they would, I saw some teams I really thought had a chance (1983, 1993/94), but after years upon years I just couldn't picture it.

Until that wonderful October night. Remember that night? :headbang :notworthy

I said then that this team had a nice long grace period from me, and it turns out I meant it. I wasn't sure that I meant it, trust me. I wondered how I'd react to a couple of sweeps and the type of faulty play they've shown recently. But here I am, still calm. Amazing.

I'm still rooting for them to turn this "spiff" :bang around and play like I believe they can, but somehow I'm not going to be all pissy if they don't.

After the WS last yr, I told my wife I could care less to what they did this yr. Well, the last two weeks, I've been pretty steamed and my wife reminded me of what I said. I told her I'm greedy, that I want my Sox to be an "elite" baseball team that's talked about like the New York Yankees are or how the Bulls were in the 90's. And I think that's what Kenny and JR want as well. It's just a shame the players don't want it as bad with the way they've played the last 3 weeks. I can understand being a little tired but I thought that's why Ozzie plays the bench so much :huh

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
THey had a swagger most of the year and thats been gone as of late and because of that everyone's pressing and struggling.

to me, that's one of the most surprising and upsetting developments. The lack of confidence. It wasn't that long ago when they were all saying "we're never out of a game" and playing like that too. Now they lose a lead and you can just sense the desperation. The fan in me would like to think that this slump will make this team stronger if they can weather this and emerge with new determination, but the realist in me wonders if last year was just one of those cases where they caught lightning in a bottle. And I hate that thought.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)

Sorry for not inviting you. The whole "afternoon with the kids" was kind of a last minute thing. Everyone expected me to be swearing at the television from 1 until 4. By the way, the phone wasn't ring on my end either, Kid. Something for you to think about.

After last year, I thought that I wouldn't get upset if the Sox failed to win a playoff series for the next 20 years. If the Tigers win 110 games, the Twins win 95, and the Sox "only" win 94, I'll have to tip my hat to those other teams.

However, I'm absolutely livid with the way the Sox have been playing this month. I can accept a less-talented team not making the playoffs or not going far into the playoffs, but not a team with this much talent. Their under-achieving is maddening.

I think that talent is showing just how great they are. Last year was great and no one can take those memories from us. However, I also think it should be noted that perhaps this is as good as the team can do. I'll be perfectly happy seeing them go 10+ games over .500 and missing the playoffs. It was a fun season. They just aren't that good. They'll still have flashes of brilliance here and there (I'm expecting it tonight) but this team is just a third place team in the divison. I tip my cap to the other squads better than us and eagerly await a busy off season and another exciting year next season.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
After last year, I thought that I wouldn't get upset if the Sox failed to win a playoff series for the next 20 years. If the Tigers win 110 games, the Twins win 95, and the Sox "only" win 94, I'll have to tip my hat to those other teams.

However, I'm absolutely livid with the way the Sox have been playing this month. I can accept a less-talented team not making the playoffs or not going far into the playoffs, but not a team with this much talent. Their under-achieving is maddening.

I agree. It's not that I won't be able to do with losing. It's the fact we have so much talent, and we aren't playing up to it that is frustrating.

One Championship is NEVER enough. It just makes you hungry for MORE. (Were you done after the Bulls threepeat? Wasn't the second threepeat just as grand?)

That said, if we don't win again this year, I am so glad that the Sox finally won one in my lifetime. By happenstance, I was 2 years old the last time the Sox won the pennant, in 1959. Last fall, my son was 2, and the Sox not only won the pennant, but the World Series. So he knows what team to root for, even if he doesn't really understand all the nuances of baseball. And the other day, when I asked him what he wanted to be, he said: "baseball player." We're never going to lose memories like this of the 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox. (After the season, I wrote a 17-page ode to the season just so I would never forget.)

I also agree that it is helpful to take a break, and by all means SPEND TIME WITH YOUR KIDS!

I'm off to Vermont in a couple of days to camp with my kids, and I'm not going to be anywhere near a newspaper. If I call my wife by cell-phone, I don't want to know anything that's happening with baseball. Given our 3-10 slide against our AL competitors, it is very good timing for a break.

And maybe, just maybe, when I get back, not only will I be rejuvenated, but so will the SOX.

GO WHITE SOX!!! BACK-TO-BACK WS TITLES!!!!!

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
One Championship is NEVER enough. It just makes you hungry for MORE. (Were you done after the Bulls threepeat? Wasn't the second threepeat just as grand?)

That said, if we don't win again this year, I am so glad that the Sox finally won one in my lifetime. By happenstance, I was 2 years old the last time the Sox won the pennant, in 1959. Last fall, my son was 2, and the Sox not only won the pennant, but the World Series. So he knows what team to root for, even if he doesn't really understand all the nuances of baseball. And the other day, when I asked him what he wanted to be, he said: "baseball player." We're never going to lose memories like this of the 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox. (After the season, I wrote a 17-page ode to the season just so I would never forget.)

I also agree that it is helpful to take a break, and by all means SPEND TIME WITH YOUR KIDS!

I'm off to Vermont in a couple of days to camp with my kids, and I'm not going to be anywhere near a newspaper. If I call my wife by cell-phone, I don't want to know anything that's happening with baseball. Given our 3-10 slide against our AL competitors, it is very good timing for a break.

And maybe, just maybe, when I get back, not only will I be rejuvenated, but so will the SOX.

GO WHITE SOX!!! BACK-TO-BACK WS TITLES!!!!!

If we win while you're gone, we don't want you back.

After we won the WS i was thinking, wow this offseason is gonna be so relaxing and it was. Once the end of march came around i figured i wouldn't be as involved in the team as i was in 2005 because we had already won the championship. The exact opposite happened! I love it more when we win now but it is a punch in the gut every time we lose! This stretch of horrible baseball is giving me a hernia, and it needs to stop. I cannot take anymore of this its hurting my social life! I stay home to watch the game and then we lose! Living in the north suburbs its hard to find a lot of sox friends, and most of my friends soccer players and arent very interested in baseball! I keep telling myself were gonna pull out of this and i think we will. Lets go get Johan tonite!

I had to work during the the playoffs last year due to working as a pa at a tv station. I got to watch the games but didn't get to fully enjoy watching them. Thats why I want to see another title come this year to celebrate it the right way!

I want it again just as bad

Good post by fathom about the DVD. I want it just as badly but we did win it all last year and nobody can take that

away. That was perfection. This slump sucks big time, especially losing so many at home. We're going to want these

home losses back at some point. I have to believe we're going to be in the wildcard race all year. A team with this kind

of talent can't keep losing eight of every 10 games or Oz is probably gonna lose his mind if not resign.