Potential other Sox deals

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
There was a rumor going around yesterday that the Mariners were close to doing a Heilman for Meche deal.

Don't know who would have backed out of that one (I assume Seattle), but Meche's performance last night will have hardly improved his trade value.

The Mets also think that Miguel Batista won't be traded. So if they won't go for Zito, they only have a few options really, Kip Wells, Tony Armas Jr., Livan Hernandez and Freddy Garcia.

Heilman makes sense, because next season he could actually join the rotation if you wanted to deal Vazquez to an NL team on the East Coast. And he would pitch in long - relief and setup situations.

Heilman likely will be gone soon from the mets for whoever they can get. I saw this on Heilman's espn page:

"Jul. 24

News: Heilman's lack of hustle Sunday to first base after fielding a nubber to the left of the mound by Chris Burke resulted in Burke beating him to the bag, leading to Heilman's removal by manager Willie Randolph while being booed by Mets fans as he left the field."

--The sox might be able to get more than Humber and Heilman, probably an A level prospect for Freddy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I see it we still need a relief pitcher. I would not be suprised to see Riske moved, he has not really shown me much. Gload will be gone. And it seems like a big deal involving a starter is upon the horizon. My guess is that: Gload, Riske and Garcia/Vaz are gone by the deadline.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Heilman likely will be gone soon from the mets for whoever they can get. I saw this on Heilman's espn page:

"Jul. 24

News: Heilman's lack of hustle Sunday to first base after fielding a nubber to the left of the mound by Chris Burke resulted in Burke beating him to the bag, leading to Heilman's removal by manager Willie Randolph while being booed by Mets fans as he left the field."

--The sox might be able to get more than Humber and Heilman, probably an A level prospect for Freddy

So long as we can get the deal done, I am perfectly happy with Humber and Heilman for Garcia.

You save about $8-9M with that, and that money can be put in FA to help upgrade our bullpen (with an acquisition like Hawkins), or an upgrade somewhere in our lineup (e.g a Furcal for Uribe and spects trade).

For me, it's a must that Brandon McCarthy is in the rotation one way or another by the time August 1 rolls around. Kenny needs to find a taker for Vaz or Garcia and just get the best value he can get. Right now, the Twins have 2 automatics wins and we basically have 2 automatic losses, that ain't going to get it done.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
As far as I see it we still need a relief pitcher. I would not be suprised to see Riske moved, he has not really shown me much. Gload will be gone. And it seems like a big deal involving a starter is upon the horizon. My guess is that: Gload, Riske and Garcia/Vaz are gone by the deadline.

If we need a relief pitcher, then I can't see us trading one in Riske. Albeit he hasn't set the world on fire with a 3.77 ERA and a 10/9 K/BB ratio, but he's an important 6th - 7th inning pitcher for us.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 05:33 AM)
With reports the sox are scouting the MIL/Pit games, I don't think Hernandez or Torres would be that much better than what the sox already have. I'm wondering if they aren't there for them [they may be--Torres is decent but signed a big deal in the offseason], then who else makes sense?

I'm going with Brady Clark. He's making over $3 mill. He played Mon. in Cf and LF [where he could replace Ozuna vs LHP--he's hitting over .300 this yr vs LHP]. He's that righty hitting OF the sox need.

Gload could find himself out of a job. Hasn't Mack played 1b in his career? IIRC, he has. Why take up a roster spot with Gload when Clark would play more?

I would be totally interested in trading for Brady Clark.

QUOTE(dyenamite23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
he's nice but only has 2 stolen bases

So? The guy plays all 3 OF positions well with a solid arm and good range in CF, bats righthanded, knows how to take a walk (.386 OBP), makes good contact, has hit lefties very well the past 2 years and is quite available considering the current abundance of good young OF the Brewers find themselves with.

I think he's an absolutely perfect fit for this team.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Right now, everyone minus Crede, Garland, Contreras, bullpen should be replaced. They all look like spiff. Yes, I typed "spiff".

after today i think we need a starting pitcher plus bmac in the rotation

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
So? The guy plays all 3 OF positions well with a solid arm and good range in CF, bats righthanded, knows how to take a walk (.386 OBP), makes good contact, has hit lefties very well the past 2 years and is quite available considering the current abundance of good young OF the Brewers find themselves with.

I think he's an absolutely perfect fit for this team.

You think the Brewers would take Pods back?

First of all, who do you actually have the A's giving up there? Bobby Kielty and someone named Taveras for Roger Clemens? Wow. That's a steal on their part.

And the Astros are simply not trading Clemens. He practically pays for himself just in the extra attendence they get at that park from having him pitch every few days.