Mike MacDougal

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

This could be another one of those seemingly harmless KW moves that turns out to be huge for the Sox. Last night this guy looked absolutely filthy and as long as he stays healthy he just upgraded our bullpen from pretty good to very good. He seems to provide the missing piece in the bullpen (right handed setup man) that the sox so desperately needed. I feel much better now than before if our starter were to only pitch 6 innings.

7th-mccarthy/thornton/cotts

8th-mcdougal

9th-jenks

that looks pretty formidable to me. what do you all think?

now if we could somehow add a healthy hermie back into the mix to replace riske (which i realize more than likely is not going to happen), I would put the sox pen up against just about anybody in the bigs

It seemed for the longest time other teams would bring in set up guys from the bullpen that threw 96-97, whereas our guys would be around 93. Now we have 3 guys that can go 97+. What started as a weakness at the start of the year is now one of our biggest strengths. Props to KW. Now all we have to do is get to the bullpen with a lead.

QUOTE(marsh @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
It seemed for the longest time other teams would bring in set up guys from the bullpen that threw 96-97, whereas our guys would be around 93. Now we have 3 guys that can go 97+. What started as a weakness at the start of the year is now one of our biggest strengths. Props to KW. Now all we have to do is get to the bullpen with a lead.

i agree. i am starting to regain that 2005 feeling about our bullpen that has been missing for the majority of the 06 season. last year i felt like any time we had a lead going into the 7th inning of the game it was over because the back end of the bullpen was so damn good. i know not many like the comparisons of this team to lasts but take a look at this:

'05-'06

marte = thornton

polite = mcdougal

hermanson = mccarthy

vizciano = riske

KW has lost major components to last years pen and replaced them with as good if not better guys. that truly is remarkable

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

The question on MacDougall is always going to be on his health not his stuff. If he can stay healthy, KW made a very good trade here. If he doesn't, Tyler Lumsden could make us regret it.

Welcome to Soxtalk BTW.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
The question on MacDougall is always going to be on his health not his stuff. If he can stay healthy, KW made a very good trade here. If he doesn't, Tyler Lumsden could make us regret it.

Welcome to Soxtalk BTW.

thanks been reading topics on here for some time now but always been too lazy to register, until now i suppose

and how the hell do i make this look like a normal thread? obviously, i didnt set this thing up right

marte = thornton

polite = mcdougal

hermanson = mccarthy

vizciano = riske

You know, I hate it when people stretch out comparisons that don't work when looked at closely.

McCarthy has never served as closer, and never will. I'm sure the rest of those comparisons, too, will fade when looked at closer.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
You know, I hate it when people stretch out comparisons that don't work when looked at closely.

McCarthy has never served as closer, and never will. I'm sure the rest of those comparisons, too, will fade when looked at closer.

McCarthy is much more likely the replacement for Jizcan than for Hermey... Put riske in there w/ politte and macD w/ Hermey and you'd be right.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
McCarthy is much more likely the replacement for Jizcan than for Hermey... Put riske in there w/ politte and macD w/ Hermey and you'd be right.

Riske is nowhere near as good as Politte was last year.

How about the 2006 bullpen = the 2006 bullpen = an excellent bullpen.

I'd say:

'05 - '06

Marte - Cotts

Cotts - Thornton

I'm not a big fan, but, yeah, I trust Thornton in Cotts' role last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
3 different spellings of his name in this tread, and not one is right. It's MacDougal.

Surely you jest!

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
I'd say:

'05 - '06

Marte - Cotts

Cotts - Thornton

I don't know the exact numbers but I'm almost positive that the Marte-Cotts comparison ain't really that close. I think Neal has allowed about 30 percent of inherited runners to score this year, while Damaso allowed a ton more than that last season.

EDIT: And by numbers I just mean the inherited runners to score since that is what Damaso did so poorly with last season.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
I don't know the exact numbers but I'm almost positive that the Marte-Cotts comparison ain't really that close. I think Neal has allowed about 30 percent of inherited runners to score this year, while Damaso allowed a ton more than that last season.

EDIT: And by numbers I just mean the inherited runners to score since that is what Damaso did so poorly with last season.

I pretty much mean that Thornton is the go-to lefty now. The guy we want out there in a pressure situation, the one I trust more.

Didn't mean that Cotts is anywhere near as bad as Marte was last year.

I pointed out about a month ago that it seems like Ozzie trusts Thornton more than Cotts, and I stick by that.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
I pretty much mean that Thornton is the go-to lefty now. The guy we want out there in a pressure situation, the one I trust more.

Didn't mean that Cotts is anywhere near as bad as Marte was last year.

I pointed out about a month ago that it seems like Ozzie trusts Thornton more than Cotts, and I stick by that.

Fair enough and I'll agree. Just wanted to throw it out there that Neal is no where near as bad as Damaso was last year. Last season we all knew what was happening when Dam came into the game(walk, hbp, hit). Neal I still have a ton of faith in, though he's been a bit off as of late.

Kenny has done an excellent job rebuilding this bullpen. We've come a long way since spring training when we had question marks all over the place. Kenny turned Joe Borchard and Javier Lopez, two guys who had absolutely no future with the Sox, into Matt Thornton and David Riske. Then he nets us a guy with electric stuff (although we had to pay a price) in MacDougal, who should flourish as a set-up man as long as he's healthy, of course. Now if only our damn starters would cooperate.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
With TL's K/BB ratio, he's not going to make us regret anything.

From what Jason's been saying, the Sox organization has wanted him to focus on getting groundballs, not striking guys out...