The Andruw Jones Thread

redandwhite

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
I would rather have Brady Clark and more pitching.

Totally agree. I'll take my chances with Brian Anderson in CF and Brady backing him up, no need to acquire another $12M+ player.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
If we were to somehow get him, I sure wouldn't complain. He's a superstar...and it would mean no more Mackowiak in CF. :P

Any deal for him would likely need to include Anderson/BMac, so when Jones would need a rest, Mack would be back in CF :P

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)
Any deal for him would likely need to include Anderson/BMac, so when Jones would need a rest, Mack would be back in CF :P

If the deal was Anderson and McCarthy for Jones, I'd seriously consider it. Jones is a superstar, and I think he still has some years left on his contract.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
If the deal was Anderson and McCarthy for Jones, I'd seriously consider it. Jones is a superstar, and I think he still has some years left on his contract.

He's a free agent after next year and will likely test the market for his final contract. He's not worth Anderson and McCarthy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
He's a free agent after next year and will likely test the market for his final contract. He's not worth Anderson and McCarthy.

I didn't know he only had one year left. Of course, I wouldn't do that deal then.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
I would not do this deal, unless BA or Jones were going to be playing left. Our CF is fine, its the LF that is the problem.

Man, have our expectations to have a championship caliber team gone down.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Man, have our expectations to have a championship caliber team gone down.

How so? I don't feel Brian is the problem. It's Pods. He's terrible, and doesn't belong on a playoff caliber team. Neither does Juan Uribe.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
How so? I don't feel Brian is the problem. It's Pods. He's terrible, and doesn't belong on a playoff caliber team. Neither does Juan Uribe.

You say Brian isn't a problem, but you say Uribe doesn't belong on a playoff caliber team? WOW!

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
You say Brian isn't a problem, but you say Uribe doesn't belong on a playoff caliber team? WOW!

Yes, very much so. There is room for one bad player. Especially a rookie. Stats from Uribe like he is putting up are just completely unacceptable. If we had a decent, hell, even someone like .265/.340/.450 at short, we'd be a lot better.

BA has also more than made up for his lack of offense to start the year on defense.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)

For you to say this about Uribe is absurd. Doesn't belong on a playoff caliber team? Look around at all your 2005 World Series Champion swag... remember that if it wasn't for Juan Uribe, you mignt not have it.

How quickly fans forget less than a year ago.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Yes, very much so. There is room for one bad player. Especially a rookie. Stats from Uribe like he is putting up are just completely unacceptable. If we had a decent, hell, even someone like .265/.340/.450 at short, we'd be a lot better.

BA has also more than made up for his lack of offense to start the year on defense.

I'm just not going to respond to this argument anymore.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)

Uribe's hit .316/.329/.624 the last 6 weeks as the Sox went in the crapper.

Anderson's hit .284/.326/.432 over that span.

Anderson and Uribe aren't the problem. It's completely naive to think that two of the best defenders at their respective positions should be replaced while they're hitting as they are.

THEY'RE NOT THE PROBLEM!

If anything, you should be calling for them to stop hitting. The Sox won more games that way.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
Uribe's hit .316/.329/.624 the last 6 weeks as the Sox went in the crapper.

Anderson's hit .284/.326/.432 over that span.

Anderson and Uribe aren't the problem. It's completely naive to think that two of the best defenders at their respective positions should be replaced while they're hitting as they are.

THEY'RE NOT THE PROBLEM!

If anything, you should be calling for them to stop hitting. The Sox won more games that way.

I know Anderson is not the problem, but Uribe is WAY to inconsistent. I think LF is the biggest problem on the non-pitching side of the team right now. Obviously, starting pitching has been the biggest overall problem lately.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
I know Anderson is not the problem, but Uribe is WAY to inconsistent. I think LF is the biggest problem on the non-pitching side of the team right now. Obviously, starting pitching has been the biggest overall problem lately.

Lately?

The staff ERA is almost a full run worse than last year. Even though the offense has improved by a similar amount, the recent string of bad games should be illustration enough why run prevention, of which defense plays a large part, is more important than run production.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
He'd look horrible in a White Sox uniform, no thanks.

Yea, he's got such a fat ass.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)

He could dent that pretty face of yours with his World Series ring on his fist.

Seriously though, how can you say Juan Uribe doesn't belong on a playoff caliber team?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)

Seriously though, how can you say Juan Uribe doesn't belong on a playoff caliber team?

Because he is way too streaky at the plate. He has no plate discipline. I believe he has around 10 walks ALL SEASON. He has a terrible OBP. Sure, he's got pretty good fielding skills, but sometimes I think he makes lazy throws and causes errors that REALLY should have been outs if he would have just took his time.