Andruw Jones, Waiver Situation

JenksForPrez45

Nearly all players get put on waivers after the trade deadline passes, and most are claimed. For some reason, the media thinks its a big deal that Andruw Jones was claimed, so they are running with it. The Braves have a choice to trade Jones to the team that claimed him, pull Jones back (meaning he'd stay a Brave), or letting Jones go to the team that claimed him. Unfortunetly for the Braves, if they want to trade Jones, he has 10/5 rights, meaning he can veto any trade.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
Nearly all players get put on waivers after the trade deadline passes, and most are claimed. For some reason, the media thinks its a big deal that Andruw Jones was claimed, so they are running with it. The Braves have a choice to trade Jones to the team that claimed him, pull Jones back (meaning he'd stay a Brave), or letting Jones go to the team that claimed him. Unfortunetly for the Braves, if they want to trade Jones, he has 10/5 rights, meaning he can veto any trade.

Does anyone know who claimed him?

Edited by JenksForPrez45

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)

I don't think he gets the 10/5 rights for a few days.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
I don't think he gets the 10/5 rights for a few days.

Sorry, he's getting them on the 15th (which the article says if I had bothered to read it :P)

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
Not quite

Feel free to correct me.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
To me this isn't that big of news at all. Manny Ramirez was put on waivers in the past but nothing happened with that. I'm assuming nothing will happen with Andruw Jones either.

Just about everyone gets put on waivers. It doesn't mean much.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
Just about everyone gets put on waivers. It doesn't mean much.

In this case, yes. Manny Ramirez getting put on waivers back in the offseason before 04 maybe(not sure which year it was) was a huge deal because it was irrevocable(sp?) waivers.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
In this case, yes. Manny Ramirez getting put on waivers back in the offseason before 04 maybe(not sure which year it was) was a huge deal because it was irrevocable(sp?) waivers.

I thought he was referring to last year, when, IIRC, Manny was put on waivers (just like a lot of other players) after the deadline.

Good call on the year: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1650053

There was a rather lengthy discussion on here last year around this time. Some said that nearly every player gets placed on waivers at this time of season to see what interest there may be, others argued that. I can't remember who won.

Edited by Leonard Zelig