If I or anyone believe the following statements...

IggyD

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
Wow, Zionist is an anti-semitic term?

So I guess David Ben-Gurion was anti-semetic?

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Facts%20About%20...id%20Ben-Gurion

Its sad how little people know about Jew's.

I wouldn't even narrow it down to just the Jews. I am amazed how little history most people know in general. For the most part that is why I enjoy conversations here because most people in this group have a solid grasp of history.

I find it ironic that the term 'semitic' is used to apply to the Jews. In fact, both the Arabs and the Jews are 'semetic' peoples. Semetic refers to decendants of Noah's son Shem. The Jews (through Isaac) and the Arabs (through Ishmael) both derive from Abraham. Isaac and Ishmael are both sons of Abraham with different mothers.

Which, by the way, is the reason this conflict is still going on 5000 years later.

Since it applies to both, there are many times, as I watch these conflicts without end, I would fit that label. Not in a racist way, but in a "I want to stick this boot up your ass and straighten you out" sort of way. I have love and respect for both sides, and wonder if there will ever be a peaceful happiness in that region in my lifetime. I don't believe so.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
We also have to keep in mind the history of these two groups.

On the one hand, we have Israel, who was given land after WWII. They have been attacked more than once and beaten back their opponents. They are constantly on alert for another attack/invasion.

On the other hand, you have a people who don't have a land and aren't accepted within the countries in and around Israel. Which would include Muslim countries like Jordan and Syria...and Iran. The Palestinians want their own land and won't take no for an answer, but no land around them want them either.

So, you have one group that is constant jumpy and one group that is homeless, for the most part. This is going to breed hatred and violence until it either blows up into WWIII or all sides decide that this is ridiculous, sit down at a table and don't leave until they figure it out.

In the history of the world, how many times has the latter happened? It's not the Israelis fault and it's not the Palestinians fault. It's EVERYONE'S fault, but no one will admit it first.

I thought that this was a discussion on Israel and Hezbollah, not on the Palestinians. I'm just not sure I see how your point correlates with Hezbollah. Is there a connection between the two that I am missing?

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
I thought that this was a discussion on Israel and Hezbollah, not on the Palestinians. I'm just not sure I see how your point correlates with Hezbollah. Is there a connection between the two that I am missing?

This is where it started. Hezbollah is Muslim. Palestinians are Muslim. If the Palestinian issue were solved peacefully a long time ago, we wouldn't have these things escalating to the levels we are at today.

Hezbollah is using the Palestinians to have a reason to eradicate the Jewish state. Which goes back to my other point...the Palestinians aren't welcome in MUSLIM countries, but are being used to get rid of the State of Israel.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
This is where it started. Hezbollah is Muslim. Palestinians are Muslim. If the Palestinian issue were solved peacefully a long time ago, we wouldn't have these things escalating to the levels we are at today.

Hezbollah is using the Palestinians to have a reason to eradicate the Jewish state. Which goes back to my other point...the Palestinians aren't welcome in MUSLIM countries, but are being used to get rid of the State of Israel.

Hezbollah is all about Lebanon, not Palestine.

QUOTE(minors @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
They will never understand Nuke. Iran and Syria are threats and people who don't see that are ignorant.

i dont think anyone believes Iran and Syria NOT to be a threat... but they've been so for years. the war in afghanistan and iraq has now just given them an opportunity to screw us over and they're taking it.

problem is, Israel's gone waaaay too far. yes, Hezbollah captured a couple soldiers - does that warrant FULL OUT WAR? dun think so. Both sides are wrong here, and now we're left trying to clean things up - which aint gonna happen.

it's gonna get uglier before it gets better... if it does