Ozzie Manuel

chisoxt

They say that baseball is a game of adjustments and this guy refuses to make them. I rememebr that this was the downfall of Jerry manuel...that guy never made an adjustement to save his life.

Yea sure, leaving starters in the game to pitch out of jams worked last year, but guess what? This is another year and that same approach is not working this year.

Pin this and several other losses on Ozzie.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chisoxt @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 02:13 AM)
They say that baseball is a game of adjustments and this guy refuses to make them. I rememebr that this was the downfall of Jerry manuel...that guy never made an adjustement to save his life.

Yea sure, leaving starters in the game to pitch out of jams worked last year, but guess what? This is another year and that same approach is not working this year.

Pin this and several other losses on Ozzie.

I haven't been very critical of Ozzie, but leaving Mark out there after runners got on was a huge mistake. He had been hanging pitches all night. It made no sense to keep him out there.

QUOTE(Jake @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
Mark was screwed several times by the ump in that inning, not to mention whatever happened with the balk.

I don't agree. None of those pitches had been called all night and he kept throwing them in the same spot and got the same result. That's Mark's fault. As for the balk, I have no clue. He's a lefty so he had to know where PK was. I don't get that.

Jerry Manuel didn't make adjustments? The same Jerry Manuel who batted Frank Thomas in the 2 hole? The same Jerry Manuel who used like 120 different friggin lineups in the same season? The same Jerry Manuel who put Magglio Ordonez in CF?

If Manuel were still in charge, we would have seen Balta's suggestion in the 2nd week of the season

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
Also you act like our bullpen is clutch.

Our bullpen has been average at best.

The bullpen doesn't have to be clutch for them to be better options than the starters in the innings of their implosions.

Edited by shoota

KW has made several moves to shape the BP into a semi-reliable entity. What's the use if Oz refuses to use them?

As much as I despised Ozzie's decision to leave MB in the game, I would have been equally pissed had he made the move. Why? Because he had BMAC, a guy who has shown time and time again that he's less reliable when he comes in with me on base, as the only pitcher warm in the BP. Where's Thornton? Riske? f***ing MacDougal?!?!?

Horribly managed ballgame.

I posted this in the "I can't take this anymore thread" so if you already read it please disregard....I think this also applies to this thread

Keep blaming ozzie, please use him as the scape goat. Yea of course he makes some questionable calls in the bullpen.....but please OZZIE IS NOT THE PROBLEM.......our starters other then Garland are flat out crap. JC needs to stop with his lazy arm bulls***, in a game or 2 he is gonna be throwing submarine. Freddy needs to speed it up and stop lazily wondering around the mound like a lost puppy. Javy needs to stop thinking and just pitch. And Mark I just don't know.....his location is complete s hit, his velocity is about as good as a high school freshman.....

What I find funny is there is no blame being put on Coop. COOP THE MIRACLE MAN, the only reason he gets so much credit is because of last year......SO WHAT THE HELL IS HE TELLING THEM NOW.....

Whenever there is an offensive slump people call for Walkers head.....Coop saved Matt Thornton, or did he, Matt says OZZIE was the one that has givin him all the confidence......So keep blaming it on Ozzie, the man who brought a worse team to the world series......

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
I posted this in the "I can't take this anymore thread" so if you already read it please disregard....I think this also applies to this thread

Keep blaming ozzie, please use him as the scape goat. Yea of course he makes some questionable calls in the bullpen.....but please OZZIE IS NOT THE PROBLEM.......our starters other then Garland are flat out crap. JC needs to stop with his lazy arm bulls***, in a game or 2 he is gonna be throwing submarine. Freddy needs to speed it up and stop lazily wondering around the mound like a lost puppy. Javy needs to stop thinking and just pitch. And Mark I just don't know.....his location is complete s hit, his velocity is about as good as a high school freshman.....

What I find funny is there is no blame being put on Coop. COOP THE MIRACLE MAN, the only reason he gets so much credit is because of last year......SO WHAT THE HELL IS HE TELLING THEM NOW.....

Whenever there is an offensive slump people call for Walkers head.....Coop saved Matt Thornton, or did he, Matt says OZZIE was the one that has givin him all the confidence......So keep blaming it on Ozzie, the man who brought a worse team to the world series......

1 run deficit. 2 outs, bottom of the 7th. men on 1st and 2nd. buehrle has thrown nearly 100 pitches. man at the plate homered off him earlier in the game. umpire has a tea cup for a strike zone. you're right, ozzie made the right decision. no fault on ozzie. thanks for clearing that up.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 04:38 AM)
1 run deficit. 2 outs, bottom of the 7th. men on 1st and 2nd. buehrle has thrown nearly 100 pitches. man at the plate homered off him earlier in the game. umpire has a tea cup for a strike zone. you're right, ozzie made the right decision. no fault on ozzie. thanks for clearing that up.

By your logic, if he would have brought in Neal or BMAC or whoever and they gave up the runs it would still be his fault. He stuck with the guy too long, he brought in the wrong guy.....it doesn't matter you will always use him as a scapegoat.....HE IS NOT THE ONE ON THE PITCHERS MOUND.....that kind of situation was almost always automatic for MB....Ozzie did something that NO OTHER WHITE SOX MANAGER DID IN 88 YEARS......if he is such a bad manager and couldn't use a bullpen how the hell did we win 99 games last year, and and by the way A RING TOO....

PITCHING and DEFENSE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS....something this team can't seem to grasp anymore......

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 04:46 AM)
By your logic, if he would have brought in Neal or BMAC or whoever and they gave up the runs it would still be his fault. He stuck with the guy too long, he brought in the wrong guy.....it doesn't matter you will always use him as a scapegoat.....HE IS NOT THE ONE ON THE PITCHERS MOUND.....that kind of situation was almost always automatic for MB....Ozzie did something that NO OTHER WHITE SOX MANAGER DID IN 88 YEARS......if he is such a bad manager and couldn't use a bullpen how the hell did we win 99 games last year, and and by the way A RING TOO....

PITCHING and DEFENSE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS....something this team can't seem to grasp anymore......

Yep, and our starting pitchers continue to implode. They look absolutely fatigued out there...but we keep trying to get as many outs as possible out of them. This isn't 2005 anymore...these starters aren't going 7 innings and then turning it over to Politte/Cotts/Jenks or Hermanson.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Yes, it's ok if we give up runs as long as it's not the starters that give them up. That's it.

Lately, I will take anyone in the BP over our SP in the 7th and 8th innings. Our bullpen may not be "clutch" but rarely do they start an inning anymore. They usually are brought into the tough situations after our SP gets shelled and leaves men on base. Let the RP start fresh and the results, IMO, will be incredibly better than what our SP have been doing in the 7-8 innings.

I didn't mind Ozzie leaving him in to face 1 more batter, but after the walk to load the bases I was surprised he left him in. With all of the games we have without a day off, maybe Ozzie was trying to save the bullpen :huh

Here's a picture I took tonight after Ozzie left Mark in. I call it the "Deciding Moment" :angry:

425661.jpg

QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 04:52 AM)
The comparison holds true in that both are bad managers.

It also holds true you have no idea what your talking about....

This team is 20 games over .500 Ozzie has a .568 winning percentage in his career....

I don't remember Jerry ever having us 20 games over in August, or a .568 winning percentage

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
It also holds true you have no idea what your talking about....

This team is 20 games over .500 Ozzie has a .568 winning percentage in his career....

I don't remember Jerry ever having us 20 games over in August, or a .568 winning percentage

2000 w/ 95 wins....But whatever, Manuel never had as good of a team. Talent overrides a lot of things in sports.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 04:59 AM)
2000 w/ 95 wins....But whatever, Manuel never had as good of a team. Talent overrides a lot of things in sports.

I stand corrected.....2000 was strickend from my memory from the great performance in the playoffs