Massive attack foiled in England

southsider2k5

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually on a personal basis, I wonder how this affects Deploder's pending trip to the US this weekend. It sounds like things are crazy at Heathrow, with people being allowed no personal carry on bags, instead being handed a clear plastic bag in which only 7 items can be places, with a whole load of restrictions as to what is allowed, including no outside liquids of anykind.

Wow. That's huge.

Big cheers for the London/UK authorities for foiling it. HUGE cheers.

I'll probably regret going there, but here it is. We need a new course on how we are handling terror and the Middle East - and quick. This piss off the whole world, attack a sidebar country and then not even get serious about finishing our wars thing is not working at all.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
Actually on a personal basis, I wonder how this affects Deploder's pending trip to the US this weekend. It sounds like things are crazy at Heathrow, with people being allowed no personal carry on bags, instead being handed a clear plastic bag in which only 7 items can be places, with a whole load of restrictions as to what is allowed, including no outside liquids of anykind.

Yeah I would ABSOLUTELY hate to get stuck at Heathrow today. I mean a few months back I had to wait 2 hours at LAX to change terminals, check in, and get thru security, and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Imagine just being stuck in a huge queue and not even moving for hours at all.

I certainly hope the in flight movies are good choices for outgoing flights today when you can't take things like I-Pods and Laptops on your person either. :lol:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Yeah I would ABSOLUTELY hate to get stuck at Heathrow today. I mean a few months back I had to wait 2 hours at LAX to change terminals, check in, and get thru security, and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Imagine just being stuck in a huge queue and not even moving for hours at all.

I certainly hope the in flight movies are good choices for outgoing flights today when you can't take things like I-Pods and Laptops on your person either. :lol:

No newspapers or magazines either, and one book.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
That includes domestic flights?

At first it was only flights in and out of heathrow...

That changed earlier this morning. Now all flights in the U.S. (both international & domestic) have the carry-on and liquid restrictions.

should be a wild day at o'hare

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
At first it was only flights in and out of heathrow...

That changed earlier this morning. Now all flights in the U.S. (both international & domestic) have the carry-on and liquid restrictions.

should be a wild day at o'hare

Great. My trip on Sunday should be a blast. :(

In a wierd way, right now might be the safest time to fly for Deploderer.

Help me out here. I don't know much about liquid explosives. but part of what I read mentioned that liquids, such as hair gel, hair sprays, perfumes, etc will be banned from carry on luggage. Why did it take so long for someone to realize this?

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 07:03 AM)

Help me out here. I don't know much about liquid explosives. but part of what I read mentioned that liquids, such as hair gel, hair sprays, perfumes, etc will be banned from carry on luggage. Why did it take so long for someone to realize this?

Dude, do you have any idea how many insane things they still let you bring on as carry-ons? Heck, they still make sure to let people bring lighters onto planes, so that when passengers get off, they can quickly light up a cool, refreshing smoke. Never mind that lighters could be used to, say, light something else.

Side note/other topic for discussion: does anyone think that something like this may have been an effort by Al Qaeda to steal some of their thunder back from Hezbollah, now that the Shi'ite group has taken over as dominating the news and seems to have the mantle of main group resisting the invasion of the West? I've sort of been wondering if they would shoot for something like this in response to those events.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)

I don't think it took long because of not knowing the potential problems, but in conditioning the public to accept these restrictions. I see the clear plastic bag as the next step. If we went from almost no restrictions to barefoot in airport issued pjs with three items in a plastic bag, there would have been some blow back. Do it gradually and we'll accept it. After all, if riding half naked on the plane saves one life and stops the terrorists from taking over our lives . . .

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
I don't think it took long because of not knowing the potential problems, but in conditioning the public to accept these restrictions. I see the clear plastic bag as the next step. If we went from almost no restrictions to barefoot in airport issued pjs with three items in a plastic bag, there would have been some blow back. Do it gradually and we'll accept it. After all, if riding half naked on the plane saves one life and stops the terrorists from taking over our lives . . .

Hey. It should help expand the mile high club.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
If you want to see "restrictions" read up on what it takes to get onto a plane in Tel Aviv. American's have it incredibly easy.

Agreed. We also have the "I can kick the f***ing s*** out of you and your entire country so bring it on" mentality.

This could be the next battle with the airlines. I wonder if one airline would have the balls to be the most restrictive and try to compete on that basis. Huge gamble, but it could really grab market share if it worked. I don't think it would, but who knows.