Massive attack foiled in England

southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
Well maybe we can go back to the good old days where you can get your knives and weapons on the plane again.

what you seriously think that keeping people from bringing shampoo on the plane will stop terrorist attacks?

wow.

if the plots been 'foiled' then no one's gonna try the same thing any time soon. and if we DID foil it prior to them getting to an airport why do changes need to be made at the airport? obviously we're doing a good enough job...

i'm sorry, but 3-4 hour lines at security is ridiculous and pointless

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
what you seriously think that keeping people from bringing shampoo on the plane will stop terrorist attacks?

wow.

if the plots been 'foiled' then no one's gonna try the same thing any time soon. and if we DID foil it prior to them getting to an airport why do changes need to be made at the airport? obviously we're doing a good enough job...

Because whose to say terrorists won't try something else right now with all the attention this is getting?

I'm sure if there was ANY risk at all, passengers would rather go thru queues for 3 to 4 hours to fly in peace and safety instead of just going through the normal security checks.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)

wow.

El Al saids "hi"

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
The amazing thing is though, if they really wanted to bring this country to a standstill, they'd be able to do it easily with just a few per day, as logn as they happened in this country. We're damn lucky they haven't figured that out yet.

Lucky for us, they don't have unlimited funds. If they had more money to spend, who's to say they wouldn't set off a bomb outside a public place in each state?

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
Lucky for us, they don't have unlimited funds. If they had more money to spend, who's to say they wouldn't set off a bomb outside a public place in each state?

How much money do you actually think that would cost? Remember, these guys aren't exactly buying JDAM's or F-22s, the 9/11 attacks happened on what was it, less than a million dollars IIRC? The equipment for such an attack is avaible easily on the world market, or even in the U.S.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
How much money do you actually think that would cost? Remember, these guys aren't exactly buying JDAM's or F-22s, the 9/11 attacks happened on what was it, less than a million dollars IIRC? The equipment for such an attack is avaible easily on the world market, or even in the U.S.

I honestly don't know. I think the cost for what happened of September 11 was about $500,000. I would not even be able to venture a guess, but the fact that it hasn't happened yet can only be explained by three things.

They haven't thought of it yet.

They aren't well-organized enough to pull it off.

They can't justify spending the money.

My guess is that it's a combination of the second and third reasons.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
Because whose to say terrorists won't try something else right now with all the attention this is getting?

I'm sure if there was ANY risk at all, passengers would rather go thru queues for 3 to 4 hours to fly in peace and safety instead of just going through the normal security checks.

you realize that these attacks that were going to happen were in the works since december, and the 911 ones were planned for a long time.

ALL Of these take TIME, meaning no one could just whip something off right now because of the attention this is getting.

you truly think that the longer lines ACTUALLY deterrs terrorists? if they're going to do something they're gonna do it regardless of our security measures at airports.

snakes on a plane anyone?

You want to be concerned about airplane bombings? Don't worry so much about liquid explosives. This is not an easy thing to do, and a terrorist is as likely to blow himself up on the way to the airport accidentally as he is to detonating a liquid explosive bomb on board an aircraft.

What should concern you is that cargo that flies underneath you in a commercial flight goes uninspected.

21% of what travels on a plane receives no inspection whatsoever. If a bombing's gonna happen - it's probably gonna be there first.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
You want to be concerned about airplane bombings? Don't worry so much about liquid explosives. This is not an easy thing to do, and a terrorist is as likely to blow himself up on the way to the airport accidentally as he is to detonating a liquid explosive bomb on board an aircraft.

What should concern you is that cargo that flies underneath you in a commercial flight goes uninspected.

21% of what travels on a plane receives no inspection whatsoever. If a bombing's gonna happen - it's probably gonna be there first.

Or, we could actually have the DHS spend the money it is allocated to try to deal with those problems. But that'd be too complex, I guess. Spending money on useful things is just something our government isn't good at.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14323311/page/7/

The immediate trigger for the massive bust was the arrest of a key player in Pakistan, a British national named Rashid Rauf......According to a Pakistani official who declined to be identified discussing the investigation, Rauf quickly broke under interrogation. The questioning was probably not gentle; Pakistani security is known for its severe methods.

Could this be a case where torture saved lives? I thought that torture never worked?

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14323311/page/7/

Could this be a case where torture saved lives? I thought that torture never worked?

Best piece on torture I've ever read by Michael Ignatieff. That's if you've got the patience to read an essay.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...d=1144446613715

Might also be Canada's next Prime Minister but that's another matter.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)

Who said that? I think you are applying a statement to people that isn't true, at least in here anyway. The people I've seen in here argue against torture didn't argue against its effectiveness - it was an argument about legality and morality.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
Who said that? I think you are applying a statement to people that isn't true, at least in here anyway. The people I've seen in here argue against torture didn't argue against its effectiveness - it was an argument about legality and morality.

Oh, no there have been arguements against its effectiveness as well.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
Oh, no there have been arguements against its effectiveness as well.

Yep. Arguments along the lines of ... You can't believe anything someone says while being tortured. This kind of shoots holes in that theory.

From the Observer in the UK. I'm not sure which newspapers in London are papers of record, so take an ounce of salt with some of this.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/st...1854503,00.html

Anti-terror police in Britain have made an angry request to their US counterparts asking them to stop leaking details of this month's suspected bomb plot over fears that it could jeopardise the chances of a successful prosecution and hamper the gathering of evidence.

The British security services, MI5 and MI6, are understood to be dismayed that a number of sensitive details surrounding the alleged plot - including an FBI estimate that as many as 50 people were involved - were leaked to the media.

FBI sources confirmed to The Observer that the bureau had been ordered to stop briefing at the request of the British authorities. 'The shutters have come down,' a bureau source said. 'We have been told not to discuss the case any more.'

The request for silence by the British authorities is an early sign that those involved in the investigation have concerns at the way their evidence-gathering is proceeding. It is understood that British anti-terror police wanted to prolong their observation of the suspects for as long as possible in a bid to gather sufficient evidence. There are now fears among some Scotland Yard officers that they may have acted too hastily when deciding to arrest the 24 suspects earlier this month. Although martydom videos and the components of a bomb have been recovered in the investigation, linking such evidence to all those arrested could still prove difficult.

The Home Office maintains the police had no choice but to act when a key suspect, Rashid Rauf, was arrested in Pakistan earlier this month, triggering concerns the alleged terrorist cell would either scatter or look to implement the plot as soon as possible. A call from an unknown person to a suspect in Britain - alerting him to Rauf's arrest - is believed to have been intercepted by Pakistan intelligence.

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has hinted several of those arrested will not face major charges. So far there has been one further arrest while two have been released without charge.